    Someone told me I could get a VOIP line at £40 which would not need a PC
    switched on! I was impressed. Is this really possible?

    If so, where's a half-decent place to buy VOIP services and hardware?

    voip virgin, Nov 28, 2008

  2. voip virgin

    Ivor Jones Guest

    In news:,
    voip virgin <> typed, for some strange, unexplained reason:
    : Hello,
    :
    : I'm a newsbie to the world of VOIP. I read the VOIP FAQ but it's a
    : bit too advanced for me. Is there a newbie-friendly intro to VOIP?
    :
    : I have a Virgin Media landline (Talk Unlimited: free calls to UK
    : landlines at all times) and 2MB broadband.
    :
    : Someone told me I could get a VOIP line at £40 which would not need a
    : PC switched on! I was impressed. Is this really possible?

    You can get a "line" (in other words a phone number) for nothing from
    www.sipgate.co.uk but if you want to use it without a PC you will need
    hardware called an ATA (Analogue Telephone Adaptor) which is where the
    cost comes in. Alternatively you can buy dedicated VoIP phones which plug
    into your router like any other Ethernet device.

    : If so, where's a half-decent place to buy VOIP services and hardware?

    Sipgate have a shop on their site but there are numerous others, try
    www.voipon.co.uk, I've always found them to be reasonable and reliable.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Nov 28, 2008

  3. voip virgin

    Graham. Guest

    "voip virgin" <> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I'm a newsbie to the world of VOIP. I read the VOIP FAQ but it's a bit
    > too advanced for me. Is there a newbie-friendly intro to VOIP?
    >
    > ----
    >
    > I have a Virgin Media landline (Talk Unlimited: free calls to UK
    > landlines at all times) and 2MB broadband.
    >
    > Someone told me I could get a VOIP line at £40 which would not need a PC
    > switched on! I was impressed. Is this really possible?
    >
    > If so, where's a half-decent place to buy VOIP services and hardware?

    £40 will buy you the hardware, I would get an ATA and plug a DECT phone
    and your router into it.
    As the cost of the calls is going to be less than NTL currently charge think
    of it as a saving. As Ivor says, Sipgate gives you a free "real" 01/02
    incoming
    number, you even now have access to emergency services.
    My preference is rather than put credit in a sipgate account, use
    a separate service like smslisto.com for outgoing calls as they are
    about the cheapest around especially to UK mobiles.

    When you are established on VoIP you might even consider ceasing your
    NTL phone line and opt for a broadband only service.
    --
    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%

    Graham., Nov 28, 2008
  4. voip virgin

    Guest

    On Fri, 28 Nov 2008 16:34:01 -0000, "Ivor Jones"
    <> wrote:

    >You can get a "line" (in other words a phone number) for nothing from
    >www.sipgate.co.uk

    You got this URL implanted in your brain or something Ivor, one can
    get a free number from quite a few providers in the UK there is no
    need to go to NAZI land to get one .

    , Nov 28, 2008
  5. voip virgin

    Woody Guest

    "Graham." <> wrote in message

    > "voip virgin" <> wrote in message
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> I'm a newsbie to the world of VOIP. I read the VOIP FAQ but it's a
    >> bit
    >> too advanced for me. Is there a newbie-friendly intro to VOIP?
    >>
    >> ----
    >>
    >> I have a Virgin Media landline (Talk Unlimited: free calls to UK
    >> landlines at all times) and 2MB broadband.
    >>
    >> Someone told me I could get a VOIP line at £40 which would not need a
    >> PC
    >> switched on! I was impressed. Is this really possible?
    >>
    >> If so, where's a half-decent place to buy VOIP services and hardware?

    > £40 will buy you the hardware, I would get an ATA and plug a DECT
    > phone
    > and your router into it.
    > As the cost of the calls is going to be less than NTL currently charge
    > think
    > of it as a saving. As Ivor says, Sipgate gives you a free "real" 01/02
    > incoming
    > number, you even now have access to emergency services.
    > My preference is rather than put credit in a sipgate account, use
    > a separate service like smslisto.com for outgoing calls as they are
    > about the cheapest around especially to UK mobiles.
    >
    > When you are established on VoIP you might even consider ceasing your
    > NTL phone line and opt for a broadband only service.
    > --
    > Graham.
    >
    > %Profound_observation%

    Only thing missed out is the broadband. VoIP eats data quite quickly, so
    if you are on a 2Mb capped service you may run out of data quite
    quickly.

    Also with 2Mb if you try to surf at the same time as make a call you may
    get speech break-up.

    If you were on a 4Mb uncapped service then you would have no problems.

    --
    Woody

    harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

    Woody, Nov 28, 2008
  6. In article <Y6ZXk.4609$2>,
    Woody <> wrote:
    >"Graham." <> wrote in message
    >>

    >> "voip virgin" <> wrote in message
    >>> Hello,
    >>>
    >>> I'm a newsbie to the world of VOIP. I read the VOIP FAQ but it's a
    >>> bit
    >>> too advanced for me. Is there a newbie-friendly intro to VOIP?
    >>>
    >>> ----
    >>>
    >>> I have a Virgin Media landline (Talk Unlimited: free calls to UK
    >>> landlines at all times) and 2MB broadband.
    >>>
    >>> Someone told me I could get a VOIP line at £40 which would not need a
    >>> PC
    >>> switched on! I was impressed. Is this really possible?
    >>>
    >>> If so, where's a half-decent place to buy VOIP services and hardware?

    >> £40 will buy you the hardware, I would get an ATA and plug a DECT
    >> phone
    >> and your router into it.
    >> As the cost of the calls is going to be less than NTL currently charge
    >> think
    >> of it as a saving. As Ivor says, Sipgate gives you a free "real" 01/02
    >> incoming
    >> number, you even now have access to emergency services.
    >> My preference is rather than put credit in a sipgate account, use
    >> a separate service like smslisto.com for outgoing calls as they are
    >> about the cheapest around especially to UK mobiles.
    >>
    >> When you are established on VoIP you might even consider ceasing your
    >> NTL phone line and opt for a broadband only service.
    >> --
    >> Graham.
    >>
    >> %Profound_observation%
    >>

    >Only thing missed out is the broadband. VoIP eats data quite quickly, so
    >if you are on a 2Mb capped service you may run out of data quite
    >quickly.
    >
    >Also with 2Mb if you try to surf at the same time as make a call you may
    >get speech break-up.
    >
    >If you were on a 4Mb uncapped service then you would have no problems.

    A single VoIP call at normal/full bandwidth will require 80Kb/sec each
    way. That equates to 35 M Bytes an hour. Each way.

    Gordon

    Gordon Henderson, Nov 28, 2008
  7. voip virgin

    Ivor Jones Guest

    In news:,
    <> typed, for some strange,
    unexplained reason:
    : On Fri, 28 Nov 2008 16:34:01 -0000, "Ivor Jones"
    : <> wrote:
    :
    :
    : >You can get a "line" (in other words a phone number) for nothing from
    : >www.sipgate.co.uk
    :
    : You got this URL implanted in your brain or something Ivor, one can
    : get a free number from quite a few providers in the UK there is no
    : need to go to NAZI land to get one .

    Oh do shut up Ron.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Nov 28, 2008
  8. Re: Can I really get a VOIP line for ?40?

    Woody <> wrote:
    > Only thing missed out is the broadband. VoIP eats data quite quickly, so
    > if you are on a 2Mb capped service you may run out of data quite
    > quickly.
    >
    > Also with 2Mb if you try to surf at the same time as make a call you may
    > get speech break-up.

    If the OP is on Virgin's 2MB cable service, it's uncapped. And I've never
    had a problem with speech breakup. (Probably sensible not to have huge
    downloads running at the same time).

    Theo

    Theo Markettos, Nov 28, 2008
  9. voip virgin

    Ivor Jones Guest

    Re: Can I really get a VOIP line for ?40?

    In news:NJb*,
    Theo Markettos <> typed, for some
    : Woody <> wrote:
    : > Only thing missed out is the broadband. VoIP eats data quite
    : > quickly, so if you are on a 2Mb capped service you may run out of
    : > data quite quickly.
    : >
    : > Also with 2Mb if you try to surf at the same time as make a call
    : > you may get speech break-up.
    :
    : If the OP is on Virgin's 2MB cable service, it's uncapped. And I've
    : never had a problem with speech breakup. (Probably sensible not to
    : have huge downloads running at the same time).

    Or if you must, get a router with QoS.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Nov 28, 2008
  10. voip virgin

    Guest

    On Fri, 28 Nov 2008 21:28:45 -0000, "Ivor Jones"
    <> wrote:

    >In news:,
    > <> typed, for some strange,
    >unexplained reason:
    >: On Fri, 28 Nov 2008 16:34:01 -0000, "Ivor Jones"
    >: <> wrote:
    >:
    >:
    >: >You can get a "line" (in other words a phone number) for nothing from
    >: >www.sipgate.co.uk
    >:
    >: You got this URL implanted in your brain or something Ivor, one can
    >: get a free number from quite a few providers in the UK there is no
    >: need to go to NAZI land to get one .
    >
    >Oh do shut up Ron.

    No one tells me what to do Ivor I will say what I like when I like and
    to who I like and that by the way includes you why don't you KF me end
    of story . Like I have stated here many times in the passed when YOU
    stop trying your best to ram Sipgate down peoples throats at every
    opportunity then I my just go but not until .
    The choice is yours .

    , Nov 28, 2008
  11. voip virgin

    Ivor Jones Guest

    In news:,
    <> typed, for some strange,
    unexplained reason:
    : <> wrote:

    : >Oh do shut up Ron.

    : No one tells me what to do Ivor I will say what I like when I like and
    : to who I like and that by the way includes you why don't you KF me end
    : of story . Like I have stated here many times in the passed when YOU
    : stop trying your best to ram Sipgate down peoples throats at every
    : opportunity then I my just go but not until .
    : The choice is yours .

    I'll KF you when you KF me. I too will say what I like and if that is
    recommending a service I find to give excellent value then I will do so
    and if you don't like it Ron then *you* can shove off.

    Bye.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Nov 28, 2008
  12. voip virgin

    Carl Waring Guest

    voip virgin wrote:
    > I have a Virgin Media landline (Talk Unlimited: free calls to UK
    > landlines at all times) and 2MB broadband.

    You might have trouble with VOIP at that speed. I know I did. xNTL areas are
    only 200kb/s upload which I don't think is enough for a proper VOIP
    connection. If you're xTelewest then you get 256kb/s which /might/ be
    better, or not.

    --
    Carl Waring
    DigiGuide:

    Carl Waring, Nov 29, 2008
  13. voip virgin

    Carl Waring Guest

    Carl Waring, Nov 29, 2008
  14. In article <BP8Yk.7450$2>,
    Carl Waring <> wrote:
    >voip virgin wrote:
    >> I have a Virgin Media landline (Talk Unlimited: free calls to UK
    >> landlines at all times) and 2MB broadband.

    >You might have trouble with VOIP at that speed. I know I did. xNTL areas are
    >only 200kb/s upload which I don't think is enough for a proper VOIP
    >connection. If you're xTelewest then you get 256kb/s which /might/ be
    >better, or not.

    Speed isn't the issue with VoIP, it's jitter. (variance in packet timings)
    If you can ping the far-end and get the same ping time every time,
    then VoIP stands a very good chance of working. If the ping times are
    "all over the place" then you'll very likely get problems.

    VoIP works perfectly well over a 28K modem line using the g729 codec.

    However, lack of speed will manifest itself as a problem if you don't
    have good traffic shaping.

    If you're using SIP, then there is a 16Kb/sec overhead to the RTP stream,
    to G711 which needs 64Kb/sec will run at about 80Kb/sec. 200Kb/sec is
    more than fast enough for 2 channels of G711 VoIP.

    By far the biggest issue I see (other than cheap ISPs, of which I'm afraid
    Telewest & NTL are in that category), is outgoing data interfering with
    VoIP - so P2P, large emails, web site uploads etc. are all things that
    will interfere.

    Gordon

    Gordon Henderson, Nov 29, 2008
  15. voip virgin

    Graham. Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 28 Nov 2008 16:34:01 -0000, "Ivor Jones"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>You can get a "line" (in other words a phone number) for nothing from
    >>www.sipgate.co.uk

    > You got this URL implanted in your brain or something Ivor, one can
    > get a free number from quite a few providers in the UK there is no
    > need to go to NAZI land to get one .

    I know I shouldn't encourage you Ron, but I must admit
    when I hear FRITZ!Box Fon WLAN I can't help thinking
    of a little chap in a bi-plane with goggles.

    --
    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%

    Graham., Nov 29, 2008
  16. voip virgin

    alexd Guest

    wrote:

    > one can get a free number from quite a few providers in the UK

    Who else does free UK geo numbers?

    > there is no need to go to NAZI land to get one .

    Well there's the beauty of VoIP, it doesn't really matter where in the world
    you or your service provider is, it should just work.

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()

    alexd, Nov 29, 2008
  17. voip virgin

    Soruk Guest

    On 2008-11-29, alexd <> wrote:
    > wrote:
    >
    >> one can get a free number from quite a few providers in the UK

    > Who else does free UK geo numbers?

    Tesco Internet Phone do, as do coms.com

    >> there is no need to go to NAZI land to get one .

    > Well there's the beauty of VoIP, it doesn't really matter where in the world
    > you or your service provider is, it should just work.

    Last time I checked, the number I've got from Sipgate actually came
    from Magrathea. The planet builders may have been completely insane but
    they weren't nazis.

    Soruk, Nov 29, 2008
  18. voip virgin

    Stephen Guest

    On Fri, 28 Nov 2008 16:06:28 GMT, voip virgin <> wrote:

    >Hello,
    >
    >I'm a newsbie to the world of VOIP. I read the VOIP FAQ but it's a bit
    >too advanced for me. Is there a newbie-friendly intro to VOIP?
    >
    >----
    >
    >I have a Virgin Media landline (Talk Unlimited: free calls to UK
    >landlines at all times) and 2MB broadband.
    >
    >Someone told me I could get a VOIP line at £40 which would not need a PC
    >switched on! I was impressed. Is this really possible?
    >
    >If so, where's a half-decent place to buy VOIP services and hardware?

    if Voip doesnt work out (and if you get hit by the VM STM traffic rate
    limiting it will not work when that kicks in), then BT will install a
    line for free for the rest of this year - but you still get to pay the
    £10/ month line rental

    or go and get an Ochid V4+ dialler and use it to divert all your non
    free calls via a cheap line provider on your existing VM phone line?
    http://www.orchid-telecom.com/Diallers/v4 .html
    --
    Regards

    - replace xyz with ntl

    Stephen, Nov 29, 2008
  19. voip virgin

    Stephen Guest

    Re: Can I really get a VOIP line for ?40?

    On 28 Nov 2008 21:54:07 +0000 (GMT), Theo Markettos
    <> wrote:

    >Woody <> wrote:
    >> Only thing missed out is the broadband. VoIP eats data quite quickly, so
    >> if you are on a 2Mb capped service you may run out of data quite
    >> quickly.
    >>
    >> Also with 2Mb if you try to surf at the same time as make a call you may
    >> get speech break-up.

    >If the OP is on Virgin's 2MB cable service, it's uncapped. And I've never
    >had a problem with speech breakup. (Probably sensible not to have huge
    >downloads running at the same time).

    if the STM kicks in the up and down speed gets cut by 50%.

    100 Kbps up is enough (just) for a phone if nothing else is there, and
    no induced jitter or "wandering" latency - both of which seem to
    happen with the VM STM.

    maybe a 18185 account would be better?

    --
    Regards

    - replace xyz with ntl

    Stephen, Nov 29, 2008
  20. voip virgin

    Guest

    On Fri, 28 Nov 2008 23:34:24 -0000, "Ivor Jones"
    <> wrote:

    >In news:,
    > <> typed, for some strange,
    >unexplained reason:
    >: On Fri, 28 Nov 2008 21:28:45 -0000, "Ivor Jones"
    >: <> wrote:
    >
    >: >Oh do shut up Ron.
    >
    >: No one tells me what to do Ivor I will say what I like when I like and
    >: to who I like and that by the way includes you why don't you KF me end
    >: of story . Like I have stated here many times in the passed when YOU
    >: stop trying your best to ram Sipgate down peoples throats at every
    >: opportunity then I my just go but not until .
    >: The choice is yours .
    >
    >I'll KF you when you KF me. I too will say what I like and if that is
    >recommending a service I find to give excellent value then I will do so
    >and if you don't like it Ron then *you* can shove off.
    >
    >Bye.
    >
    >Ivor

    Plenty of others give excellent value besides shipgate Ivor and also
    They are based in England not in a country that we have been at war
    with twice and a country that has killed many Jews and English service
    men and women also.
    Time you and others started to support our telecom's industry not
    foreign bastards that run off and leave their customers without
    service for whole weekends .

    , Nov 29, 2008