    I recently purchased XP pro x64 and just haven't settled with it. As i've
    entered the the key to install it, can i sell it on and revert back to 32bit
    version or is it now registered and belongs to me FOREVER?

    =?Utf-8?B?UGhpbA==?=, Jun 7, 2006

  2. I belongs to your computer FOREVER. It's OEM software.
    So, the only way to resell your x64 is to sell your computer ;)

    JBF

    Jean-Baptiste Faure, Jun 7, 2006

  3. =?Utf-8?B?UGhpbA==?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Legally it is yours forever

    John Barnes, Jun 7, 2006
  4. Hi, thanks for the replies.

    (newbie mode) So if i was to format my machine at anytime, would my
    computer accept the key? When i installed it, it only asked me for the key,
    no activation? 32bit version prompted me to activate?

    Any advice is greatly appreciated.

    =?Utf-8?B?UGhpbA==?=, Jun 7, 2006
  5. =?Utf-8?B?UGhpbA==?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Jean is correct, you can sell your computer, or you can use it as a dual
    boot.

    John Barnes, Jun 7, 2006
  6. Apologies if i appear dim, but how can it belong to my computer? My PC was
    bought without an OS, i purchased XP 32bit, but since then took the leap
    forward to x64. If i wasn't prompted to activate like i did the 32bit
    version, how can anyone tell who's installed it?

    =?Utf-8?B?UGhpbA==?=, Jun 7, 2006
  7. XP Pro x64 is only available as an OEM edition (no retail boxes for x64).
    That means the license only allows you to install it on a new computer
    (which you have done) and that you may not transfer the license to another
    computer. That is what the other posters mean by "it belongs to your
    computer forever." That is how the OEM licenses work. That is why they
    cost a lot less than the boxed (retail) editions of Windows.

    When you buy XP (32-bit) at a store and get it in a retail box the license
    permits you to transfer the license to another computer.

    note: OEM = Original Equipment Manufacturer. x64 is intended to be
    preinstalled by a computer maker.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jun 7, 2006
  8. Phil wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I recently purchased XP pro x64 and just haven't settled with it. As i've
    > entered the the key to install it, can i sell it on and revert back to 32bit
    > version or is it now registered and belongs to me FOREVER?

    WinXPx64 is available *only* as an OEM license. OEM versions must be
    sold with a piece of non-peripheral hardware (normally a motherboard or
    hard drive, if not an entire PC, although Microsoft has greatly relaxed
    the hardware criteria for WinXP) and are _permanently_ bound to the
    first PC on which they are installed. An OEM license, once installed,
    is not legally transferable to another computer under any circumstances.
    This is the main reason some people avoid OEM versions; if the PC dies
    or is otherwise disposed of (even stolen), you cannot re-use your OEM
    license on a new PC. The only legitimate way to transfer the ownership
    of an OEM license is to transfer ownership of the entire PC.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    Bruce Chambers, Jun 8, 2006
  9. =?Utf-8?B?UGhpbA==?=

    Graham Guest

    Phil wrote:
    > Apologies if i appear dim, but how can it belong to my computer? My PC was
    > bought without an OS, i purchased XP 32bit, but since then took the leap
    > forward to x64. If i wasn't prompted to activate like i did the 32bit
    > version, how can anyone tell who's installed it?

    If you didn't have to activate it, that suggests you've not got an OEM
    license. Unless you have some form of volume license - as a company
    might have - or it was pre-installed on your PC (and it obviously
    wasn't), that means you've most likely not got a legitimate license.

    Graham.

    Graham, Jun 8, 2006
  10. Activating it does not tell MS who you are. That you do, if you want to,
    during the optional registration.

    Check under Start>Accessories>System Tools for Activate Windows. Run the
    wizard. It may tell you that you are already activated. If not, you will
    activate.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jun 8, 2006
  11. =?Utf-8?B?UGhpbA==?=

    Bo Persson Guest

    "Bruce Chambers" <3t> skrev i meddelandet
    > Phil wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I recently purchased XP pro x64 and just haven't settled with it.
    >> As i've entered the the key to install it, can i sell it on and
    >> revert back to 32bit version or is it now registered and belongs to
    >> me FOREVER?

    > WinXPx64 is available *only* as an OEM license. OEM versions must
    > be sold with a piece of non-peripheral hardware (normally a
    > motherboard or hard drive, if not an entire PC, although Microsoft
    > has greatly relaxed the hardware criteria for WinXP) and are
    > _permanently_ bound to the first PC on which they are installed. An
    > OEM license, once installed, is not legally transferable to another
    > computer under any circumstances.

    There are some ways to bend the rules of course. :)

    You are allowed to replace parts of your PC, including a defective
    motherboard. So if you "accidentally" drop a screwdriver thru you
    motherboard, you can replace that too.

    You cannot sell the license separately though.

    > This is the main reason some people avoid OEM versions; if the PC
    > dies or is otherwise disposed of (even stolen), you cannot re-use
    > your OEM license on a new PC.

    On the other hand, the OEm license is cheaper, so you can afford to
    buy a replacement.

    Also, if my PC was actually stolen, I would claim that the thief is in
    violation of the license, not me. So sue him!

    > The only legitimate way to transfer the ownership of an OEM license
    > is to transfer ownership of the entire PC.

    Right.

    Bo Persson

    Bo Persson, Jun 8, 2006
  12. Bo Persson wrote:

    > There are some ways to bend the rules of course. :)

    Certainly. There will always be people who lack integrity and who can
    often find a way to "get around" any copy protection scheme.

    > You are allowed to replace parts of your PC, including a defective
    > motherboard. So if you "accidentally" drop a screwdriver thru you
    > motherboard, you can replace that too.

    That's not "bending any rules." There's absolutely nothing in the OEM
    EULA that prohibits one from repairing or upgrading (to the extent of
    replacing components) the computer to which the license is bound. The
    only prohibited actions are installing the same license on multiple
    computers, or transferring the license to a distinctly separate computer.

    > On the other hand, the OEm license is cheaper, so you can afford to
    > buy a replacement.

    Yes, the OEM license is normally significantly less expensive than a
    retail version (I include the qualification because there is actually no
    retail license for WinXPx64 for comparison.) precisely because it is
    non-transferable. Unfortunately, far too many people don't pause to ask
    "Why?" when they make their purchase; they just blindly go for the lower
    price.

    > Also, if my PC was actually stolen, I would claim that the thief is in
    > violation of the license, not me. So sue him!

    You could try, but I doubt that anyone would accept that reasoning.
    The thief will have the computer to which the license is bound. (OEM
    licenses are bound to the machine, remember, not the machine's owner.)
    Anyway, if the computer is stolen, all you need do is include the price
    of the replacement OS, along with the cost of the replacement PC, in the
    insurance claim.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    Bruce Chambers, Jun 9, 2006
  13. =?Utf-8?B?UGhpbA==?=

    > Bo Persson wrote:
    >>

    >> There are some ways to bend the rules of course. :)
    >>

    >> You are allowed to replace parts of your PC, including a defective
    >> motherboard. So if you "accidentally" drop a screwdriver thru you
    >> motherboard, you can replace that too.
    >>

    > That's not "bending any rules." There's absolutely nothing in the
    > OEM EULA that prohibits one from repairing or upgrading (to the
    > extent of replacing components) the computer to which the license is
    > bound. The only prohibited actions are installing the same license
    > on multiple computers, or transferring the license to a distinctly
    > separate computer.

    This was in reference to recent changes ("clarifications") from
    Microsoft, defining the motherboard as the piece that distinctly
    separates computers. You can change all other parts, except the
    motherboard. Unless it is broken...

    Bo Persson

    Bo Persson, Jun 9, 2006
  14. Bo Persson wrote:

    > This was in reference to recent changes ("clarifications") from
    > Microsoft, defining the motherboard as the piece that distinctly
    > separates computers. You can change all other parts, except the
    > motherboard. Unless it is broken...

    That "change" applies only to the Systems Builders Agreement; it has
    not been incorporated into the End User License Agreement, and therefore
    doesn't apply to the overwhelming majority of consumers.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    Bruce Chambers, Jun 9, 2006
  15. =?Utf-8?B?UGhpbA==?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Since this is generally an OEM version you are subject to the system
    builders license.
    I assume it is the same with the other options for obtaining this product.

    John Barnes, Jun 9, 2006
  16. John Barnes wrote:
    > Since this is generally an OEM version you are subject to the system
    > builders license.
    > I assume it is the same with the other options for obtaining this product.

    How so? I wasn't even offered an opportunity to review the Systems
    Builders License, much less agree to be bound by its terms. The only
    license I was offered was the EULA, which very definitely does not bind
    the license to any single component. In fact, the EULA does just the
    opposite: it binds the license to the entire computer, regardless of any
    qualifying hardware.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    Bruce Chambers, Jun 9, 2006
  17. =?Utf-8?B?UGhpbA==?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Don't know where you bought yours, but the sites Charlie and Andre list have
    something like Newegg has on their site:

    OEM versions are intended for system builders only and cannot be transferred
    to another PC once it is installed. Purchasers of this software are required
    to comply with the terms of the System Builder License, including
    responsibility for providing all end-user support.

    John Barnes, Jun 9, 2006
  18. John Barnes wrote:
    > Don't know where you bought yours, but the sites Charlie and Andre list have
    > something like Newegg has on their site:
    >
    > OEM versions are intended for system builders only and cannot be transferred
    > to another PC once it is installed. Purchasers of this software are required
    > to comply with the terms of the System Builder License, including
    > responsibility for providing all end-user support.

    I didn't realize that New Egg was a division of Microsoft. If New Egg
    isn't authorized to speak for Microsoft's legal department, then any
    staterment they place on their web site is just so much marketting
    fluff, as far as I'm concerned. Anyway, I believe that statement
    applies to the System Builder's "Packs," which are *not* what an end
    user normally purchases with qualifying hardware.

    And, for the record, I got my license for WinXPx64 directly from
    Microsoft, without ever having been asked to agree to the terms of a
    license I did not see. The EULA I have certainly doesn't take the
    ludicrous position that any single component comprises and entirwe computer.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    Bruce Chambers, Jun 9, 2006
  19. =?Utf-8?B?UGhpbA==?=

    John Barnes Guest

    The information is available on the Microsoft site, and guess you never
    heard of agency or a distributor agreement, etc. which can require that
    legal requirements be passed on. The information presented by NewEgg and
    the others is on their 1 packs. Any further interpretation of 'as far as
    I'm concerned' is between you and Microsoft.

    John Barnes, Jun 9, 2006
  20. * Jean-Baptiste Faure:

    > I belongs to your computer FOREVER. It's OEM software.
    > So, the only way to resell your x64 is to sell your computer ;)

    Depends on where he lives. In Germany for example he could sell the
    software without the computer...

    Benjamin

    Benjamin Gawert, Jun 14, 2006