  1. Russell

    Russell Guest

    Can I put one of those CD labels on a DVD? Will it harm anything?

    Russell, Nov 18, 2003

  2. Russell

    Pug Fugley Guest

    Not a good idea. Lots of players can't handle it.

    Pug Fugley, Nov 18, 2003

  3. Russell

    Bill Guest

    A Memorex labelling kit that I purchased mentions using the labels on
    recordable DVD discs. However, Fred Langa, who puts out the LangaList
    newsletter, has suggested recently that even applying labels to standard
    CD-R discs may contribute to data failure:

    <<1) How NOT To Mess Up Stored CDRs!

    Be careful! Even little things--- including the glue on stick-on labels-
    -- can ruin your CDRs.

    That's one of the things your fellow readers and I found when we went
    back and tested long-stored CDs. In my case, the only disks that failed
    were those that I had covered with a glue-on paper label from a print-it-
    yourself CD label-maker kit. Several of these labeled CDs were, in fact,
    totally unreadable by every means I tried (including special data
    recovery software); all the data on those CDs is just plain gone. My
    best guess is the glue on these do-it-yourself labels interacted with
    either the foil or the dye, rendering the CDs useless.

    All the info we have on unusual CDR failures and what you can do about
    them, appears in the new article live now at
    http://www.informationweek.com/story/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=15800263

    I'll also include links to other articles, from the general to the
    deeply technical, so you can explore this issue to whatever depth you
    want.>>

    Bill, Nov 18, 2003