    BTW, http is not the only problem (I have security implemented at the
    browser level, on the pc itself).
    I'm looking for a solution at connection level.
    anthony, Apr 23, 2005

  2. anthony

    Des Guest

    "anthony" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hello,
    >
    > I have an XP home machine in the kids' room and I noticed they would
    > connect to unsecure networks that were available, thereby bypassing
    > the security I have setup on my router.
    >
    > Is there a way to prevent this, telling XP only to authorize
    > connecting to secure networks (like mine is) for instance ? or by some
    > other means ?
    >
    > TIA
    > anthony
    >
    > BTW, http is not the only problem (I have security implemented at the
    > browser level, on the pc itself).
    > I'm looking for a solution at connection level.

    plug on the wall!?

    most teenagers I know have more knowledge than their parents! and can
    overcome most ?security that we put on!, go to you neighbours and tell them
    that you can access their wireless net, and offer to put the secuity on for
    them, they will all be within 100m or less of your house!

    Des
    Des, Apr 23, 2005

  3. There are a couple of options.....you can go to network neighborhood, double
    click wireless connections and in the properties box go to advanced and set
    for infrastructure only ( although they can just go to the same place and
    change it back) or your router should have an area you can set when they can
    access the internet. The other option is what Des offered....

    =?Utf-8?B?Y2hmaWVsZHM=?=, Apr 24, 2005
  4. anthony

    Gregg Hill Guest

    If the kids are that untrustworthy, upgrade to XP Pro, then make them
    regular users and lock down the system. You can prevent them from making
    changes to lots of things including networking.

    Another thing you can do is take the PC out of their room. My sister put the
    kids' PC in the living room, with the screen facing where she can see it
    when she walks by.

    Gregg

    Gregg Hill, Apr 24, 2005
  5. anthony

    anthony Guest

    Ok, thanks to all !

    :-(

    I wonder what MS is thinking about when deciding on the features list
    of what is possible or not on XP *home*...

    oh well....
    anthony, Apr 26, 2005