    TIA

    Brett Roberts
    Microsoft NZ
    Brett Roberts, May 5, 2004

  2. Brett Roberts

    splat Guest

    "Brett Roberts" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > What level of interest do you think there would be for txt msg-based
    > security alert notifications ? Microsoft Australia offers this service and
    > I'm looking for some anecdotal evidence of interest (or lack thereof) here
    > in NZ. The intention would be to use it to advise of critical security
    > updates and to point people to applicable resources in situations such as
    > the current Sasser worm.
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Brett Roberts
    > Microsoft NZ

    Well, any attempt at enlighting the masses about security should always be
    considered good, but why recreate the wheel?

    After all, there are official MS channels that already provide this info
    quite adequately. Wouldn't it be better to redirect people to the official
    channels first? I'm not denigrating your excellent attempt at educating the
    ignorant, I'm just saying that maybe, sometimes, if the people don't want to
    be enlightened, and the official channels don't work - well, are they really
    worth saving?

    :)

    I'm playing devils advocate here, because I've determined that people don't
    want to be saved - they seem to get more pleasure from bitching about how
    they WEREN'T SAVED.
    splat, May 6, 2004

  3. "splat" <> wrote in message

    > "Brett Roberts" <> wrote in message
    >> What level of interest do you think there would be for txt msg-based
    >> security alert notifications ? Microsoft Australia offers this service
    >> and
    >> I'm looking for some anecdotal evidence of interest (or lack thereof)
    >> here
    >> in NZ. The intention would be to use it to advise of critical security
    >> updates and to point people to applicable resources in situations such as
    >> the current Sasser worm.
    >>
    >> TIA
    >>
    >> Brett Roberts
    >> Microsoft NZ
    >>

    > Well, any attempt at enlighting the masses about security should always be
    > considered good, but why recreate the wheel?
    >
    > After all, there are official MS channels that already provide this info
    > quite adequately. Wouldn't it be better to redirect people to the official
    > channels first? I'm not denigrating your excellent attempt at educating
    > the
    > ignorant, I'm just saying that maybe, sometimes, if the people don't want
    > be enlightened, and the official channels don't work - well, are they
    > really
    > worth saving?
    >
    > :)
    >
    > I'm playing devils advocate here, because I've determined that people
    > don't
    > want to be saved - they seem to get more pleasure from bitching about how
    > they WEREN'T SAVED.

    Good feedback, thanks. The bottom line is that the current communication
    channels do work well but adding others may broaden the number of people we
    can contact and therefore improve response times etc. As the time between
    patch release and exploit decreases timeliness of communication and action
    becomes increasingly important.
    Brett Roberts, May 6, 2004
  4. Brett Roberts

    Chris Hope Guest

    Brett Roberts wrote:

    > Good feedback, thanks. The bottom line is that the current communication
    > channels do work well but adding others may broaden the number of people
    > we can contact and therefore improve response times etc. As the time
    > between patch release and exploit decreases timeliness of communication
    > and action becomes increasingly important.

    Despite my comment in the other thread about not being a Windows user, I do
    think this is a good idea, although you would need to be careful about
    scheduling of the SMS messages and ensure they are all delivered during New
    Zealand daytime (ie no nasty in the middle of the night SMS that wakes
    people up). Or maybe an option to say "I would like to receive the SMS as
    soon as the problem is found, no matter what time of day or night" or "I
    would like to receive SMS only between Xam and Ypm".

    Chris
    Chris Hope, May 6, 2004
  5. "Chris Hope" <> wrote in message
    > Brett Roberts wrote:
    >
    >> Good feedback, thanks. The bottom line is that the current communication
    >> channels do work well but adding others may broaden the number of people
    >> we can contact and therefore improve response times etc. As the time
    >> between patch release and exploit decreases timeliness of communication
    >> and action becomes increasingly important.

    > Despite my comment in the other thread about not being a Windows user, I
    > do
    > think this is a good idea, although you would need to be careful about
    > scheduling of the SMS messages and ensure they are all delivered during
    > New
    > Zealand daytime (ie no nasty in the middle of the night SMS that wakes
    > people up). Or maybe an option to say "I would like to receive the SMS as
    > soon as the problem is found, no matter what time of day or night" or "I
    > would like to receive SMS only between Xam and Ypm".
    >
    > Chris

    Good point about the timing. Thanks for the suggestion
    Brett Roberts, May 6, 2004
  6. Brett Roberts

    PB Guest

    I'd be interested.