    Would save a lot of work reinstalling all the stuff.

    Thanks

    TJ

    TJ, May 1, 2008

  2. TJ

    Erlio Guest

    Re: Can I operate applications/progs on old XP drive from clean XPinstall on new drive?

    No. In addition to the programs being physically installed, they also need
    registry entries and configuration files, that are unique to your setup,
    written and saved. You have to install all the programs anew to the SATA
    drive.

    Earle

    Erlio, May 1, 2008

  3. TJ

    dadiOH Guest

    TJ wrote:
    > I upgraded to a new motherboard. And clean installed XP on a new SATA
    > drive. ( C: )
    >
    > Can I run program applications/games etc from the old XP PATA drive
    > if I leave it connected as a 'D:' drive?

    It will depend on the program...

    Any program that did not require an "install" should run fine.

    Most/many programs that required an "install" will also run fine; however...

    1. Any configuration you did to the program via its "options" will
    probably need to be redone. (Doing so stashes the info in the new registry)

    2. Any serial or key you entered for a purchased program will have to be
    re-entered

    3. Some programs may complain of a missing dll/ocx/etc file either
    because it installed it or because you installed something like Visual Basic
    runtime files on the old drive and not the new one. You can generally fix
    that by copying the file from the old drive and putting it on the new drive
    in the same place as it is on the old drive.

    --

    dadiOH

    dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

    dadiOH, May 2, 2008