Can I mograte my Agent message files to Tbird and then back again if Tbird disappoints??

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by chasm@TEXAS.net, Dec 11, 2004.

  1. Guest

    I personally think that firefox 1.0 is about the finest browser i have ever used
    and that includes the Linux Konq and other tools.

    However, I have been using Agent since beta 99c which is about 1993?
    Anyway, since ForteInc is NOT going to port it to Linux, I would like to find
    something which is almost equivalent... although I realize that Nothing out
    there really holds a candle to Agent as a New reader and email client.

    I would like to try Tbird 1.0 but need to know whether I would be able to move
    message folders back and forth from one to the other??

    And generally, whether I could import settings and address books and so forth.
    iow, I want to be able to take the files back to Agent if Tbird proves to be a
    disappointment as all the rest have so far.

    thanks
    chas

    , Dec 11, 2004

  2. Ralph Fox Guest

    On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 19:52:58 -0600, in message
    <>, wrote:

    > I would like to try Tbird 1.0 but need to know whether I would be able to move
    > message folders back and forth from one to the other??

    Yes.

    1. Agent to Thunderbird

    1.1 In Agent, export all the messages in the folder to a mbox
    format file. Agent calls this format a "Unix message file"

    File -> Save Messages As

    [ ] Append to existing file
    [x] Save raw (unformatted) message
    ---File Format---
    (•) UNIX message file
    ---Header Fields to Include---
    (•) All fields

    You should give the file a name with no file extension, if
    you want to import the messages into Thunderbird.

    1.2 Find the directory where Thunderbird stores local messages.

    In Thunderbird, go to "Tools -> Account Settings -> Local Folders"
    and read the setting "Local directory".

    1.3 Close Thunderbird.

    1.4 Copy the file saved in #1.1 into the directory from #1.2.

    1.5 Restart Thunderbird.

    There will be another message folder in "Local Folders"
    containing the messages exported from Agent.

    2. Thunderbird to Agent

    2.1 Find the local directory for the account containing the
    message folders.

    E.g. for your POP3 inbox, go to
    "Tools -> Account Settings -> <<**POP3 account name**>> -> Server Settings"
    and read the setting "Local directory".

    2.2 Each message folder in this account in Thunderbird corresponds
    to two files in this local directory.

    For example, the "Inbox" folder corresponds to two files,

    Inbox (no file extension)
    Inbox.msf (".msf" extension)

    2.3 The file with no extension ("Inbox" in the above example) is
    a mbox format file (a.k.a. "Unix message file") containing all
    of the messages in the message folder.

    Simply import this file into Agent using Agent's
    "File -> Import Messages".

    I recommend that you compact the message folder in Thunderbird
    before you do so. If you don't, you may import messages
    which have been deleted.

    --
    Cheers,
    Ralph

    somewhere else." -- Sam Walton
    Ralph Fox, Dec 11, 2004

  3. Re: Can I migrate my Agent message files to Tbird and then back again if Tbird disappoints??

    Hi Ralph

    Thanks for the very detailed instructions.

    Any ideas on how to get the Address Book into Tbird short of Export and a lot
    of a lot of deleting and editing?

    Teather Mitty, Dec 13, 2004
  4. Ralph Fox Guest

    Re: Can I migrate my Agent message files to Tbird and then back again if Tbird disappoints??

    On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 12:40:37 -0500, in message
    <>, Teather Mitty wrote:

    > Hi Ralph
    >
    > Thanks for the very detailed instructions.
    >
    > Any ideas on how to get the Address Book into Tbird short of Export and a lot
    > of a lot of deleting and editing?

    1. Export your Agent address book to a text file in Agent's own
    export/import format
    File -> Addresses -> Export

    2. This message
    http://groups.google.co.nz/groups?selm=
    has scripts for converting this exported file into
    LDIF and CSV format.

    Read the "known problems" to see whether any of them
    would or would not affect you.

    3. Tbird can import from LDIF and CSV format.
    Tools -> Import -> Address Books -> Next -> ...

    --
    Cheers,
    Ralph

    somewhere else." -- Sam Walton