    system mode?

    Thanks,

    Deguza
    Kompu Kid, Jan 12, 2009

  2. Kompu Kid

    chuckcar Guest

    Kompu Kid <> wrote in
    news::

    > I have a brand new harddrive.

    How big is your hard drive? divide that number by two and subtract 100 meg to give
    the linux number. The XP number is 1/2 the size.

    > Can I install Ubunti first and then install XP in a dual operating
    > system mode?

    0. Read *all* text files on the linux disk before you even start. linux
    is *not* XP, it doesn't "auto-install" you *have* to know what you are doing.

    No, you have to install XP first as it will wipe out the way linux boots
    when it installs. However:

    1. Boot with a live CD and run cfdisk and primary windows partition for XP of the
    space you require. *After* that on the disk create a
    linux swap and a primary ext3 partition leaving plenty for the XP install.
    The swap should be about 100 meg. cfdisk can list the partition types in it's
    built in help and you *have* to use the number each is referred to.

    light turns amber, remove the linux (ubuntu) CD and put in the XP CD.

    3. Use the XP CD to create a *new* partition on the remaining space and
    install XP to it.

    4. When done, swap the CD's again and reboot install linux to the
    partitions created in step 1. Install either grub to have the 2nd
    partition be called ubuntu (or linux) and the third XP.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Jan 12, 2009

  3. Kompu Kid

    witan Guest

    On Jan 12, 9:15 am, chuckcar <> wrote:
    > Kompu Kid <> wrote innews::
    >
    > > I have a brand new harddrive.

    > How big is your hard drive? divide that number by two and subtract 100 meg to give
    > the linux number. The XP number is 1/2 the size.
    >
    > > Can I install Ubunti first and then install XP in a dual operating
    > > system mode?

    > 0. Read *all* text files on the linux disk before you even start. linux
    > is *not* XP, it doesn't "auto-install" you *have* to know what you are doing.
    >
    > No, you have to install XP first as it will wipe out the way linux boots
    > when it installs.

    [deleted]

    I have used other Linux distros with which it is a very simple matter
    to restore the linux boots: by booting with the linux CD and carrying
    out a "repair". I have done this a couple of times, when it bcame
    necessary to reinstall (or repair-install) Windows-xp
    Is Ubuntu different?
    witan, Jan 12, 2009
  4. On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 00:25:47 -0800, witan wrote:

    > On Jan 12, 9:15 am, chuckcar <> wrote:
    >> Kompu Kid <> wrote innews::
    >>
    >> > I have a brand new harddrive.

    >> How big is your hard drive? divide that number by two and subtract 100 meg to give
    >> the linux number. The XP number is 1/2 the size.
    >>
    >> > Can I install Ubunti first and then install XP in a dual operating
    >> > system mode?

    >> 0. Read *all* text files on the linux disk before you even start. linux
    >> is *not* XP, it doesn't "auto-install" you *have* to know what you are doing.
    >>
    >> No, you have to install XP first as it will wipe out the way linux boots
    >> when it installs.

    > [deleted]
    >
    > I have used other Linux distros with which it is a very simple matter
    > to restore the linux boots: by booting with the linux CD and carrying
    > out a "repair". I have done this a couple of times, when it bcame
    > necessary to reinstall (or repair-install) Windows-xp
    > Is Ubuntu different?

    Fedora gives you the option to partition during install, one for Linux
    (well, more than one actually, but it's transparent) and one for whatever
    else you wish, whether it's another Linux distro, OS X, or Windoze. And
    you can switch back and forth quite easily.

    Remember one thing, though: XP uses a FAT32 (although you can opt for
    NTFS which is better, a reletive term when speaking of Windoze)
    filesystem, while Linux uses the ext2fs or now ext3fs.

    I have no idea what filesystems XP or OS X can read but Linux can read
    anything. Logic tells me that you should install Linux first.

    Try contacting a local Linux users group -- they should be eager to help.

    Scarecrow: I haven't got a brain... only straw.
    Dorothy: How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
    Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot
    of talking... don't they?
    Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

    -- Wizard Of Oz
    Gaston Ryan Coake, Jan 12, 2009
  5. Kompu Kid

    Mara Guest

    On Sun, 11 Jan 2009 23:52:34 -0600, Jimchip <> wrote:

    >On 2009-01-12, Kompu Kid <> wrote:
    >> I have a brand new harddrive.
    >>
    >> Can I install Ubunti first and then install XP in a dual operating
    >> system mode?

    >1) Install XP, let it have the whole drive.
    >2) Install Ubuntu. Read the proposed partitioning options carefully and
    >choose the one you want.
    >3) Follow the screen prompt when it is time to reboot

    If you screwed up and installed XP last, would Ubuntu boot with a boot floppy?
    I've never experimented with it.

    Wouldn't it be a huge PITA even if it did? What about the new computers these
    days that don't even come with floppy drives installed?

    --
    Goodbye, Army, dear old Army of the Potomac. Tattered and torn,
    you are crowned with the victor's laurels at last.
    -- Elisha Hunt Rhodes, Col. 2nd R. I., July 15, 1865
    Mara, Jan 12, 2009
  6. Kompu Kid

    Big_Al Guest

    Bill Baker said this on 1/11/2009 10:53 PM:
    > On Sunday January 11 2009 22:04, Kompu Kid <> wrote in message news:<>
    >
    >> I have a brand new harddrive.
    >>
    >> Can I install Ubunti first and then install XP in a dual operating
    >> system mode?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> Deguza

    > It's better to install XP first. XP will overwrite the master boot record, making Ubuntu unbootable. Also, Ubuntu will recognize that you have XP on your system and configure your boot loader appropriately. XP will not do the same for Ubuntu.

    OT? How much space does Ubuntu take? I've got a spare 10 gig
    partition I could use. Also I've tried booting from the CD and have
    issues with the video, will installing it give me any more choices or
    options to clean the video up? Things are all over the screen like
    its folding, tearing etc. I get the opening okay, just the desktop is
    screwed.
    Big_Al, Jan 12, 2009
  7. On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 06:55:30 -0600, Mara wrote:

    > On Sun, 11 Jan 2009 23:52:34 -0600, Jimchip <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>On 2009-01-12, Kompu Kid <> wrote:
    >>> I have a brand new harddrive.
    >>>
    >>> Can I install Ubunti first and then install XP in a dual operating
    >>> system mode?

    >>1) Install XP, let it have the whole drive. 2) Install Ubuntu. Read the
    >>proposed partitioning options carefully and choose the one you want.
    >>3) Follow the screen prompt when it is time to reboot

    > If you screwed up and installed XP last, would Ubuntu boot with a boot
    > floppy? I've never experimented with it.

    Yes, you can make a GRUB boot floppy.

    > Wouldn't it be a huge PITA even if it did? What about the new computers
    > these days that don't even come with floppy drives installed?

    You could also download SuperGRUB CD ISO, burn it, & use that to boot any
    OS.

    --
    No room for the horrors
    of Micro$oft here!
    William Poaster, Jan 12, 2009
  8. Kompu Kid

    John Guest

    On Sun, 11 Jan 2009 19:04:09 -0800 (PST), Kompu Kid
    <> wrote:

    >I have a brand new harddrive.
    >
    >Can I install Ubunti first and then install XP in a dual operating
    >system mode?

    Use this (it's awesome)

    http://wubi-installer.org/

    I use it to dual boot and there is no need to partition your drive or
    anything. You must install Windows XP first though.
    John, Jan 12, 2009
  9. John wrote:

    > Kompu Kid wrote:
    >> I have a brand new harddrive.
    >>
    >> Can I install Ubunti first and then install XP in a dual operating
    >> system mode?

    > Use this (it's awesome)
    >
    > http://wubi-installer.org/
    >
    > I use it to dual boot and there is no need to partition your drive or
    > anything. You must install Windows XP first though.

    While Wubi is a fine tool for Windows users to play with and experiment
    using Ubuntu, I wouldn't recommend it for a permanent installation. Wubi
    is, after all, now part of the Windows file system. And if you decide
    you want to use Ubuntu as your only OS, how do you get rid of Windows?

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jan 12, 2009
  10. Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    > John wrote:
    >
    >> Kompu Kid wrote:
    >>> I have a brand new harddrive.
    >>>
    >>> Can I install Ubunti first and then install XP in a dual operating
    >>> system mode?

    >> Use this (it's awesome)
    >>
    >> http://wubi-installer.org/
    >>
    >> I use it to dual boot and there is no need to partition your drive or
    >> anything. You must install Windows XP first though.

    > While Wubi is a fine tool for Windows users to play with and experiment
    > using Ubuntu, I wouldn't recommend it for a permanent installation. Wubi
    > is, after all, now part of the Windows file system. And if you decide
    > you want to use Ubuntu as your only OS, how do you get rid of Windows?

    Heh...lemme guess...yet-another OS copies the "OS in a folder idea" of
    BEOS Personal Edition?
    §ñühw¤£f, Jan 12, 2009
  11. On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 14:22:33 -0600, Jimchip wrote:

    > On 2009-01-12, William Poaster <> wrote:
    >> On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 06:55:30 -0600, Mara wrote:

    >>> If you screwed up and installed XP last, would Ubuntu boot with a boot
    >>> floppy? I've never experimented with it.

    >> Yes, you can make a GRUB boot floppy.
    >>
    >>> Wouldn't it be a huge PITA even if it did? What about the new computers
    >>> these days that don't even come with floppy drives installed?

    >> You could also download SuperGRUB CD ISO, burn it, & use that to boot
    >> any OS.

    > That's a good one!
    > http://www.supergrubdisk.org/
    >
    > Good clue, Poaster. There may be less perspiration in my future :)

    YW, Jimchip. :)
    Didn't you know about that, or had forgotten?

    --
    No room for the horrors
    of Micro$oft here!
    William Poaster, Jan 12, 2009
  12. On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 06:55:30 -0600, Mara wrote:

    > On Sun, 11 Jan 2009 23:52:34 -0600, Jimchip <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>On 2009-01-12, Kompu Kid <> wrote:
    >>> I have a brand new harddrive.
    >>>
    >>> Can I install Ubunti first and then install XP in a dual operating
    >>> system mode?

    >>1) Install XP, let it have the whole drive. 2) Install Ubuntu. Read the
    >>proposed partitioning options carefully and choose the one you want.
    >>3) Follow the screen prompt when it is time to reboot

    > If you screwed up and installed XP last, would Ubuntu boot with a boot
    > floppy? I've never experimented with it.

    Just to clarify about making a GRUB boot floppy, if you really want to.
    When you've installed your linux distro, open a terminal & change to 'su'
    (root).

    Then format it:

    mkfs -V -t msdos /dev/fd0
    mkfs (util-linux-ng 2.14)
    mkfs.msdos /dev/fd0
    mkfs.msdos 2.11 (12 Mar 20

    mkdir /mnt/floppy

    mount /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy

    mkdir -p /mnt/floppy/boot/grub

    cp /boot/grub/stage* /mnt/floppy/boot/grub

    cp /boot/grub/menu.lst /mnt/floppy/boot/grub

    umount /mnt/floppy

    Then at the prompt, type: grub

    grub>
    Probing devices to guess BIOS drives. This may take a long time.

    grub> root (fd0)

    grub> setup (fd0)
    Checking if "/boot/grub/stage1" exists... yes
    Checking if "/boot/grub/stage2" exists... yes
    Checking if "/boot/grub/fat_stage1_5" exists... no
    Running "install /boot/grub/stage1 (fd0) /boot/grub/stage2 p /boot/grub/menu.l
    st "... succeeded
    Done.

    grub> quit

    That will have installed GRUB on a floppy, which will boot into your
    installed distro.
    So if anything screws up the mbr, you can still get into your fully
    working OS.

    <snip>

    --
    No room for the horrors
    of Micro$oft here!
    William Poaster, Jan 12, 2009
  13. Kompu Kid

    Mara Guest

    On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 19:58:10 +0000, William Poaster <>
    wrote:

    >On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 06:55:30 -0600, Mara wrote:
    >

    >> On Sun, 11 Jan 2009 23:52:34 -0600, Jimchip <>
    >> wrote:

    >>>1) Install XP, let it have the whole drive. 2) Install Ubuntu. Read the
    >>>proposed partitioning options carefully and choose the one you want.
    >>>3) Follow the screen prompt when it is time to reboot

    >> If you screwed up and installed XP last, would Ubuntu boot with a boot
    >> floppy? I've never experimented with it.

    >Yes, you can make a GRUB boot floppy.

    I knew you could with LiLO but never tried with GRUB.

    >> Wouldn't it be a huge PITA even if it did? What about the new computers
    >> these days that don't even come with floppy drives installed?

    >You could also download SuperGRUB CD ISO, burn it, & use that to boot any
    >OS.

    That's the problem with having so many distros and ISOs and all that stuff,
    Linux-wise - I'm like a kid in a candy store and want to try it all. <g>

    -- Elisha Hunt Rhodes, Col. 2nd R. I., July 15, 1865
    Mara, Jan 13, 2009
  14. On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 18:17:50 -0600, Mara wrote:

    > On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 19:58:10 +0000, William Poaster
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 06:55:30 -0600, Mara wrote:

    >>> If you screwed up and installed XP last, would Ubuntu boot with a boot
    >>> floppy? I've never experimented with it.

    >>Yes, you can make a GRUB boot floppy.

    > I knew you could with LiLO but never tried with GRUB.
    >
    >>> Wouldn't it be a huge PITA even if it did? What about the new computers
    >>> these days that don't even come with floppy drives installed?

    >>You could also download SuperGRUB CD ISO, burn it, & use that to boot any
    >>OS.

    > That's the problem with having so many distros and ISOs and all that
    > stuff, Linux-wise - I'm like a kid in a candy store and want to try it
    > all. <g>

    Well you could, without needing to install them. Most distros have a
    virtual machine in their repositories, so instead of installing them all
    to a drive, you can load them into something like VMware. :)

    Fedora & Ubuntu have VMs.

    --
    No room for the horrors
    of Micro$oft here!
    William Poaster, Jan 13, 2009
  15. Kompu Kid

    Mara Guest

    On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 18:04:17 -0600, Jimchip <> wrote:

    >On 2009-01-12, William Poaster <> wrote:
    >> On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 06:55:30 -0600, Mara wrote:

    <snip>
    >> Probing devices to guess BIOS drives. This may take a long time.
    >>
    >> grub> root (fd0)
    >>
    >> grub> setup (fd0)
    >> Checking if "/boot/grub/stage1" exists... yes
    >> Checking if "/boot/grub/stage2" exists... yes
    >> Checking if "/boot/grub/fat_stage1_5" exists... no
    >> Running "install /boot/grub/stage1 (fd0) /boot/grub/stage2 p /boot/grub/menu.l
    >> st "... succeeded
    >> Done.
    >>
    >> grub> quit
    >>
    >> That will have installed GRUB on a floppy, which will boot into your
    >> installed distro.
    >> So if anything screws up the mbr, you can still get into your fully
    >> working OS.

    >That might be what Mara meant by a PITA :)

    Nah. What I meant was having to dig out a floppy every time you wanted to use
    Ubuntu, although it really wouldn't be much of a contest. Personally I'd just do
    away with XP and go with Ubuntu, but I'm funny that way. ;)

    -- Elisha Hunt Rhodes, Col. 2nd R. I., July 15, 1865
    Mara, Jan 13, 2009
  16. On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 18:02:23 -0600, Jimchip wrote:

    > On 2009-01-12, William Poaster <> wrote:

    >>> That's a good one!
    >>> http://www.supergrubdisk.org/
    >>>
    >>> Good clue, Poaster. There may be less perspiration in my future :)

    >> YW, Jimchip. :)
    >> Didn't you know about that, or had forgotten?

    > No, I hadn't seen that one at all! I tend to just work with what is in
    > front of me. Plus, it's hard to search out references when the only box is
    > toast. Supergrub is going into the toolbox, definitely.

    Other linux based tools you may find useful are:

    Ultimate Boot CD: http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/
    Got all *kinds* of stuff.

    GParted: http://gparted.sourceforge.net/

    Disk Copy: http://www.easeus.com/disk-copy/

    --
    No room for the horrors
    of Micro$oft here!
    William Poaster, Jan 13, 2009
  17. Kompu Kid

    Mara Guest

    On Tue, 13 Jan 2009 00:28:47 +0000, William Poaster <>
    wrote:

    >On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 18:17:50 -0600, Mara wrote:
    >

    >> On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 19:58:10 +0000, William Poaster
    >> <> wrote:

    <snip>
    >>>You could also download SuperGRUB CD ISO, burn it, & use that to boot any
    >>>OS.

    >> That's the problem with having so many distros and ISOs and all that
    >> stuff, Linux-wise - I'm like a kid in a candy store and want to try it
    >> all. <g>

    >Well you could, without needing to install them. Most distros have a
    >virtual machine in their repositories, so instead of installing them all
    >to a drive, you can load them into something like VMware. :)

    Oh, BOY. <bg>

    >Fedora & Ubuntu have VMs.

    I've never been able to get Fedora to run on any machine I've ever owned. I have
    no idea why. I couldn't get Mandrake/Mandriva to run either until 2008, but it
    sure works well now. It's just a nice distro all the way around, IMHO.

    -- Elisha Hunt Rhodes, Col. 2nd R. I., July 15, 1865
    Mara, Jan 13, 2009
  18. Kompu Kid

    Mara Guest

    On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 19:14:31 -0600, Jimchip <> wrote:

    >On 2009-01-13, Mara <> wrote:

    <snip>
    >> I've never been able to get Fedora to run on any machine I've ever owned. I have
    >> no idea why. I couldn't get Mandrake/Mandriva to run either until 2008, but it
    >> sure works well now. It's just a nice distro all the way around, IMHO.

    >Mandriva is the only one I could get the atheros wifi drivers to work
    >on. I have Suse 11.1 on a box, too but I have a fair amount of time
    >invested in that one. Neither Fedora nor CentOS liked my cheap
    >hardware, ever. Debian was always more solid for me but they're a little
    >too strict... It's sorta like living with the Amish.

    I had a couple of friends who started to have stability problems with SuSE after
    version 10.0, so I haven't gone higher than that. I might try Ubuntu on the Dell
    - it only has XP Home on it, which I dislike anyway. I'm trying to get away from
    the Windows thing completely.

    Speaking of which, I had the opportunity to download the Windows 7 Beta but
    haven't - it might be fun to poke sticks at, but you have to jump through so
    many hoops, even as an MS Partner, that I just don't think it's worth it. That's
    M$ for ya. ;)

    -- Elisha Hunt Rhodes, Col. 2nd R. I., July 15, 1865
    Mara, Jan 13, 2009
  19. On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 18:04:17 -0600, Jimchip wrote:

    > On 2009-01-12, William Poaster <> wrote:
    >> On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 06:55:30 -0600, Mara wrote:

    >>> If you screwed up and installed XP last, would Ubuntu boot with a boot
    >>> floppy? I've never experimented with it.

    >> Just to clarify about making a GRUB boot floppy, if you really want to.
    >> When you've installed your linux distro, open a terminal & change to
    >> 'su' (root).
    >>
    >> Then format it:
    >>
    >> mkfs -V -t msdos /dev/fd0
    >> mkfs (util-linux-ng 2.14)
    >> mkfs.msdos /dev/fd0
    >> mkfs.msdos 2.11 (12 Mar 20
    >>
    >> mkdir /mnt/floppy
    >>
    >> mount /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy
    >>
    >> mkdir -p /mnt/floppy/boot/grub
    >>
    >> cp /boot/grub/stage* /mnt/floppy/boot/grub
    >>
    >> cp /boot/grub/menu.lst /mnt/floppy/boot/grub
    >>
    >> umount /mnt/floppy
    >>
    >> Then at the prompt, type: grub
    >>
    >> grub>
    >> Probing devices to guess BIOS drives. This may take a long time.
    >>
    >> grub> root (fd0)
    >>
    >> grub> setup (fd0)
    >> Checking if "/boot/grub/stage1" exists... yes Checking if
    >> "/boot/grub/stage2" exists... yes Checking if "/boot/grub/fat_stage1_5"
    >> exists... no Running "install /boot/grub/stage1 (fd0) /boot/grub/stage2
    >> p /boot/grub/menu.l
    >> st "... succeeded
    >> Done.
    >>
    >> grub> quit
    >>
    >> That will have installed GRUB on a floppy, which will boot into your
    >> installed distro.
    >> So if anything screws up the mbr, you can still get into your fully
    >> working OS.

    > That might be what Mara meant by a PITA :)
    >
    > Good to know, though.

    Well the thing is, that it *would* get you back into your distro without
    any fuss.
    Once there, you can reinstall GRUB to the mbr....which is much simpler:

    grub-install /dev/hda (or hdb, etc, whichever drive you want to use)

    --
    No room for the horrors
    of Micro$oft here!
    William Poaster, Jan 13, 2009
  20. On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 18:17:50 -0600, Mara wrote:

    > On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 19:58:10 +0000, William Poaster
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 06:55:30 -0600, Mara wrote:

    >>> If you screwed up and installed XP last, would Ubuntu boot with a boot
    >>> floppy? I've never experimented with it.

    >>Yes, you can make a GRUB boot floppy.

    > I knew you could with LiLO but never tried with GRUB.

    I find GRUB more powerful, & better than LiLO. You can prettify too, if
    you wish..<g>

    --
    No room for the horrors
    of Micro$oft here!