Can I Install WIn2k to Dual Boot with WinXP?

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by Dean Harris, Jun 30, 2004.

  1. Dean Harris

    Dean Harris Guest

    My father is having problems on his system. The circuit breaker tends
    to blow and there may be issues with the mother board.

    He is running WinXP Pro and it has started to reboot mostly when he
    goes to print from web sites. But there are other sporadic reboots
    rarly.

    No blue screen.

    I ran Maxtors drive test and the drive is fine.

    I'm trying to determine if the XP Operating system got damaged during
    a power cut. Or basically, I am trying to elimate any software
    related issues.

    I'd like to install Windows 2000 Professional on the system as a Duel
    Boot. If he can do all the same things in Win2K Pro without error
    then it's not hardware and he'll need to reinstall WinXP.

    But, I need to know if I can install Win2K from the setup disks and
    onto a different partition and install Win2k without hosing the WinXP
    installation.

    Is that doable?

    TIA

    Dean

    Dean Harris, Jun 30, 2004

  2. Dean Harris

    Doom Guest

    Doom, Jun 30, 2004

  3. Dean Harris

    Ken Briscoe Guest

    "Dean Harris" <> wrote in message
    <snip dual boot question>
    > Is that doable?

    Yeah. Make sure you got it going on a separate partition, though. Ideally,
    they tell you to install 2K first, then XP, but I've found that it doesn't
    *really* make a difference, but YMMV. Either way, create a new partition
    from XP or some such other partition maker, then let rip with the 2K
    install. Of course, this might not solve all your problems - especially if
    the mobo is junk. Also, before you go doing this, since you know the circuit
    is bad, why not plug the computer into a different circuit? Move it to a
    different room temporarily, and put it through its paces while plugged into
    a different circuit. If all goes well, then you can be pretty sure that it's
    power spikes/outages/whateverthefukc causing it, and tell your dad to hire
    an electrician to come sort it all out.

    Good luck - next time post to a Win2K or XP group, not a cert group.

    --

    KB - MCNGP "silent thug" #26

    Ken Briscoe, Jun 30, 2004
  4. Dean Harris

    JaR Guest

    Dean Harris wrote:

    First of all, this does not belong in this NG. Try the A+ group maybe.

    > My father is having problems on his system. The circuit breaker tends
    > to blow and there may be issues with the mother board.

    Circuit breaker? What circuit breaker?

    > He is running WinXP Pro and it has started to reboot mostly when he
    > goes to print from web sites. But there are other sporadic reboots
    > rarly.

    Sounds like power supply going nipples north.

    > No blue screen.

    Okay.

    > I ran Maxtors drive test and the drive is fine.

    Umm, okay.

    > I'm trying to determine if the XP Operating system got damaged during
    > a power cut. Or basically, I am trying to elimate any software
    > related issues.

    Why? Check your power supply first.

    > I'd like to install Windows 2000 Professional on the system as a Duel
    > Boot. If he can do all the same things in Win2K Pro without error
    > then it's not hardware and he'll

    First you need to... Aw screw it. Tell dad to hire a professional. If
    you are in my area, my rates are cheap. (So I'm told)

    need to reinstall WinXP.

    > But, I need to know if I can install Win2K from the setup disks and
    > onto a different partition and install Win2k without hosing the WinXP
    > installation.
    >
    > Is that doable?

    Yes, but see above before you mess up dad's computer even more.

    > TIA

    Welcome.

    JaR
    Cheap Thug

    JaR, Jun 30, 2004
  5. Dean Harris wrote:
    > My father is having problems on his system. The circuit breaker tends
    > to blow and there may be issues with the mother board.

    A monitor sucks a lot of amps. Since you mention a similar problem with
    printing, it may be that your printer is also sucking excess amps. Hire an
    electrician. Or get a really long extension cord to an outlet that can
    handle higher amperage.

    Also, get a UPS. A slight drop in voltage can cause a computer to reboot.

    Also, an over-heated computer can sporadically reboot.

    --
    Fris "A, B, C, or all of the above." bee®, MCNGP #13

    The MCNGP Team - We're here to help!
    http://www.mcngp.tk

    Certaholics

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Frisbee=AE?=, Jun 30, 2004
  6. fHi Dean,

    Before you do anything, make sure you have all the latest service packs and hot fixes. The fact that many freezes occur when "trying to print webpages" is troubling. The UPS suggestion was right on the money!

    Even though Dual boots are "generally" not a big deal, don't go down that road unless you have a glarring need to! It sucks up disk space and is a bit of an extreme solution.

    I'm curious about when the crashes are actually occuring. Has the information been sent to the printer (you hear the printer initialize)?

    Jeff Crimmins - MCSE, MCSA

    =?Utf-8?B?SmVmZiBDcmltbWlucw==?=, Jul 1, 2004
  7. Dean Harris

    Dean Harris Guest

    On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 21:52:02 -0700, "Jeff Crimmins" <Jeff
    > wrote:

    >fHi Dean,
    >
    >Before you do anything, make sure you have all the latest service packs and hot fixes. The fact that many freezes occur when "trying to print webpages" is troubling. The UPS suggestion was right on the money!

    It has all the latest patches, latest spyware software, virus scan
    software, etc...

    >Even though Dual boots are "generally" not a big deal, don't go down that road unless you have a glarring need to! It sucks up disk space and is a bit of an extreme solution.

    It's not a big deal. Just wanted to know for sure before I even made
    an attempt.

    >I'm curious about when the crashes are actually occuring. Has the information been sent to the printer (you hear the printer initialize)?

    Not 100% on this but I believe it's the instant he clicks a link and
    nothing gets to the printer.

    Power supply as others suggested sounds like a good place to look.

    Dean Harris, Jul 1, 2004
  8. Dean Harris

    Dean Harris Guest

    On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 14:23:23 -0500, "Doom" <> wrote:

    >"Dean Harris" <> wrote in message
    >> My father is having problems on his system. The circuit breaker tends
    >> to blow and there may be issues with the mother board.
    >>

    ><snippage>
    >To answer your question:
    >http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/administration/management/mltiboot.asp
    >or
    >http://tinyurl.com/7w4o
    >I would recommend you learn how to google.
    >Google is real.

    That's not really helpful. My speciifc question was if I cold install
    Win2k *after* WinXP with dual boot without a problem.

    You could state the same thing regarding Google for 99% of stuff on
    usenet.

    Others provided good suggestions. You didn't.

    Dean Harris, Jul 1, 2004
  9. Dean Harris

    Dean Harris Guest

    On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 15:28:24 -0400, "Ken Briscoe"
    <> wrote:

    >"Dean Harris" <> wrote in message
    ><snip dual boot question>
    >> Is that doable?

    >Yeah. Make sure you got it going on a separate partition, though. Ideally,
    >they tell you to install 2K first, then XP, but I've found that it doesn't
    >*really* make a difference, but YMMV. Either way, create a new partition
    >from XP or some such other partition maker, then let rip with the 2K
    >install. Of course, this might not solve all your problems - especially if
    >the mobo is junk. Also, before you go doing this, since you know the circuit
    >is bad, why not plug the computer into a different circuit? Move it to a
    >different room temporarily, and put it through its paces while plugged into
    >a different circuit. If all goes well, then you can be pretty sure that it's
    >power spikes/outages/whateverthefukc causing it, and tell your dad to hire
    >an electrician to come sort it all out.
    >
    >Good luck - next time post to a Win2K or XP group, not a cert group.

    Will do. Thanks.

    Dean Harris, Jul 1, 2004
  10. Dean Harris

    Dean Harris Guest

    On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 12:42:32 -0700, JaR
    <> wrote:

    >Dean Harris wrote:
    >
    >First of all, this does not belong in this NG. Try the A+ group maybe.
    >
    >> My father is having problems on his system. The circuit breaker tends
    >> to blow and there may be issues with the mother board.

    >Circuit breaker? What circuit breaker?

    In the apartment. :)

    >Why? Check your power supply first.

    Good idea. ;-) I'll check the BIOS and see what sort of voltage it's
    putting out.

    >> I'd like to install Windows 2000 Professional on the system as a Duel
    >> Boot. If he can do all the same things in Win2K Pro without error
    >> then it's not hardware and he'll

    >First you need to... Aw screw it. Tell dad to hire a professional. If
    >you are in my area, my rates are cheap. (So I'm told)

    It's amazing how little I want to do with family PC's for free.

    >need to reinstall WinXP.

    If it's a hardware issue then that's a waste of time.

    >Yes, but see above before you mess up dad's computer even more.

    ? In the industry since '94. All my PC's are handbuilt.

    I have little free time to screw around. Been doing web
    marketing/design past 3 years so lost a lot of good helpdesk and
    administration knowledge.

    Dean Harris, Jul 1, 2004
  11. Dean Harris

    Dean Harris Guest

    On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 16:05:10 -0400, Frisbee®
    <> wrote:

    >A monitor sucks a lot of amps. Since you mention a similar problem with
    >printing, it may be that your printer is also sucking excess amps. Hire an
    >electrician. Or get a really long extension cord to an outlet that can
    >handle higher amperage.
    >
    >Also, get a UPS. A slight drop in voltage can cause a computer to reboot.

    Yep. I mentioned that to him already.

    >Also, an over-heated computer can sporadically reboot.

    Will keep that in mind, but there's plenty of air flow to the system.

    Thanks for the suggestions people.

    Dean Harris, Jul 1, 2004
  12. Dean Harris

    Doom Guest

    > On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 14:23:23 -0500, "Doom" <> wrote:
    >

    > >"Dean Harris" <> wrote in message
    > >> My father is having problems on his system. The circuit breaker tends
    > >> to blow and there may be issues with the mother board.
    > >>

    > ><snippage>
    > >To answer your question:

    >http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/administration/management/mlt

    iboot.asp
    > >or
    > >http://tinyurl.com/7w4o
    > >I would recommend you learn how to google.
    > >Google is real.

    > That's not really helpful. My speciifc question was if I cold install
    > Win2k *after* WinXP with dual boot without a problem.
    >
    > You could state the same thing regarding Google for 99% of stuff on
    > usenet.
    >
    > Others provided good suggestions. You didn't.

    Please accept my apologies for not researching your problem more thoroughly
    for you. As for Google I DO state the same thing for 99% of the stuff on
    usenet.
    Others provided good questions. You didn't.

    Doom, Jul 1, 2004
  13. Dean Harris

    Ken Briscoe Guest

    "Doom" <> wrote in message

    > Please accept my apologies for not researching your problem more

    thoroughly
    > for you.

    Hahhahaa! Sweet!

    --