Can I Install Seamonkey over Mozilla Suite?

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by default, May 6, 2006.

  1. default

    default Guest

    Running Moz 1.5 and want to install Sea Monkey 1.0.1

    Are they separate programs, or will Sea Monkey trash the profile in
    Mozilla when it installs?

    Will it pick up the email folders address books from Moz?

    I want to install it on my wife's computer which currently has Moz
    (which is what she uses) and FF (which I'm trying to wean her to)

    Sea Monkey documentation is a little weak - suggests that installing
    SM will trash previous installations of SM - yet the version history
    only shows one build - and the FAQ is a hodgepodge of mostly Moz
    stuff.

    It looks as if SM will be closer to FF with extensions and operation
    and that would help getting wifey and I on the same wavelength.

    default, May 6, 2006

  2. default

    gwtc Guest

    default wrote:

    > Running Moz 1.5 and want to install Sea Monkey 1.0.1
    >
    > Are they separate programs, or will Sea Monkey trash the profile in
    > Mozilla when it installs?
    >
    > Will it pick up the email folders address books from Moz?
    >
    > I want to install it on my wife's computer which currently has Moz
    > (which is what she uses) and FF (which I'm trying to wean her to)
    >
    > Sea Monkey documentation is a little weak - suggests that installing
    > SM will trash previous installations of SM - yet the version history
    > only shows one build - and the FAQ is a hodgepodge of mostly Moz
    > stuff.
    >
    > It looks as if SM will be closer to FF with extensions and operation
    > and that would help getting wifey and I on the same wavelength.

    SM and Moz are two different programs. When you install SM it will
    install into its own directory. However, SM will pick up Moz profile,
    but do not share the same profile between the two programs. If you
    want to do what others have been doing, use Moz to create a new
    profile, just for SM. When you install SM, have it pick up that
    profile. Test out SM, and if you like it then you can either transfer
    stuff from the Moz profile over to the SM one, OR, you can get rid of
    the SM profile and have it use the Moz one.

    --
    How to Get a Life
    Difficulty Level: Hard
    gwtc, May 6, 2006

  3. default

    default Guest

    On Sat, 06 May 2006 10:11:02 -0700, gwtc <37>
    wrote:

    >SM and Moz are two different programs. When you install SM it will
    >install into its own directory. However, SM will pick up Moz profile,
    >but do not share the same profile between the two programs. If you
    >want to do what others have been doing, use Moz to create a new
    >profile, just for SM. When you install SM, have it pick up that
    >profile. Test out SM, and if you like it then you can either transfer
    >stuff from the Moz profile over to the SM one, OR, you can get rid of
    >the SM profile and have it use the Moz one.

    Thank you

    default, May 9, 2006