can I install a complete internet explorer "on top" of a previos version?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by freestonew, Jun 16, 2007.

  1. freestonew

    freestonew Guest

    hi all.

    How "safe" is it to install a higher version of internet explorer, the
    complete install, on top of an earlier version?!

    I have a win98se machine and I have no internet connection for it, and
    there is an important program, that I now have, that needs internet
    explorer 5.1, but I have explorer 5.0!

    I have downloaded 5.1 and 5.5, from an internet archive into a
    folder; each is an entire install-from-scratch, apparently, explorer.

    I *could* just install one of the versions "on top of" the 5.0 that I
    have now, but is this OK and safe to do?!
    Are there any precautions that I should take?

    I am not going to use this machine for the internet, but oh dear,
    windows is so interlaced with explorer.

    which of the two versions should i install? the 5.1 or the 5.5?

    thanks...freestone

    freestonew, Jun 16, 2007

  2. Re: can I install a complete internet explorer "on top" of aprevios version?

    I have expirienced the same problem.

    Simply install Internet Explorer 5.5 and do not worry. ;-)

    IE 5.1 is not a good thing in my opinion... never tried it.

    Ikannz Bantisls, Jun 16, 2007

  3. freestonew wrote:

    > which of the two versions should i install? the 5.1 or the 5.5?

    6.0 should work on Win98SE.

    At the very least use 5.5; forget about 5.1 ...

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jun 16, 2007
  4. freestonew

    Plato Guest

    freestonew wrote:

    > How "safe" is it to install a higher version of internet explorer, the
    > complete install, on top of an earlier version?!

    Not safe at all in your internet browser is working. One can always use
    Firefox.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Jun 19, 2007