  1. Can i install 64 bit os system on 32 bit processor

    What is major difference between 64 bit o[erating system and 32 bit
    operating system
    =?Utf-8?B?d2luZG93cyA2NCBiaXQgT3BlcmF0aW9uIFN5c3Rl, Feb 6, 2007

  2. =?Utf-8?B?d2luZG93cyA2NCBiaXQgT3BlcmF0aW9uIFN5c3Rl

    DH Guest

    > Can i install 64 bit os system on 32 bit processor

    NO!

    > What is major difference between 64 bit operating system and 32 bit
    > operating system

    the 64 bit operating system is for 64 bit cpu's like the AMD 64 and the
    corresponding Intel offerings. The 32 bit operating system is for 32 bit
    cpu's.

    DH
    DH, Feb 6, 2007

  3. No - that is not possible. The difference is in the width of the Data-Path.
    Compare a two-lane Highway with a four-lane - you will not be able to travel
    faster on the four-lane version, unless the two-lane Highway is filled up to
    begin with! This is the essential difference. There is no processing speed
    difference unless your 32bit system is stressed.

    So, you wouldn't have any 64bit OS's in the first place if it wasn't for
    64bit hardware. You have 64bit hardware and you need a 64bit OS to run
    that - not the other way around. With the modern processors that was made
    popular by AMD, they incorporated a 32bit layer into the processor that
    makes 32bit software compatible (including OS's), but you still need the
    hardware to have it up and running.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Feb 6, 2007
  4. =?Utf-8?B?d2luZG93cyA2NCBiaXQgT3BlcmF0aW9uIFN5c3Rl

    Theo Guest

    Can you put 5 gallons of paint into a 1 gallon can?

    What is the difference between a 5-gallon can and a 1-gallon
    can?

    Theo, Feb 6, 2007
  5. "windows 64 bit Operation System" wrote:

    > Can i install 64 bit os system on 32 bit processor
    >
    > What is major difference between 64 bit o[erating system and 32 bit
    > operating system

    Don't run out and buy a 64 bit OS for your 32 bit system, it won't install.
    If you have you'll have to upgrade to a dual core to run it. Be sure you can
    find x64 drivers for your old I/O harware if you want to use it. This has
    always been a problem when installing a new release OS.
    =?Utf-8?B?REhEU01JQQ==?=, Feb 7, 2007
  6. > Don't run out and buy a 64 bit OS for your 32 bit system, it won't
    > install.
    > If you have you'll have to upgrade to a dual core to run it.

    Don't confuse dual-/multicore CPUs with 64-bit ones. One doesn't
    automatically imply the other.
    Homer J. Simpson, Feb 7, 2007
  7. =?Utf-8?B?d2luZG93cyA2NCBiaXQgT3BlcmF0aW9uIFN5c3Rl

    BSchnur Guest

    > Don't confuse dual-/multicore CPUs with 64-bit ones. One doesn't
    > automatically imply the other.

    I think nearly any dual core CPU's currently sold are 64 bit. On the
    other side there certainly are single core 64 bit CPU's -- both from
    Intel and AMD.

    In any case, 64 bit CPU's will readily work with a 32 bit OS.

    --
    Barry Schnur
    BSchnur, Feb 7, 2007
  8. "Intel Core Duo" is NOT 64bit. Intel Core 2 Duo is.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Feb 7, 2007
  9. =?Utf-8?B?d2luZG93cyA2NCBiaXQgT3BlcmF0aW9uIFN5c3Rl

    BSchnur Guest

    > "Intel Core Duo" is NOT 64bit. Intel Core 2 Duo is.

    OK -- I *knew* there was a reason I said 'nearly any' -- thanks for the
    catch lad.

    Of course the older Intel 478 hyperthreading CPU's were also 32 bit.
    But that was mostly marketing hype for dual processing (though it was a
    good demonstration of the need for good CPU heat sinks and fans).

    --
    Barry Schnur
    BSchnur, Feb 8, 2007
  10. Its a valid question, for you to ask, I understand the confusion. You
    can install 32 bit Windows on a 64 bit machine, however, it doesn't work the
    other way around.

    The big difference is the amount of address space in a 64 bit operating
    system. The storage limitations are pushed higher (meaning larger hard
    drives), 64-bit Windows can access more than 3GB of RAM per process
    (application), and the hardware can support much larger drives. The
    limitations of what can be done with the software are also decreased.
    Applications that are most affected by this are server applications like
    databases and web servers that need large amounts of memory to increase the
    concurrent load they can handle. Also video games, graphics and other math
    intensive programs benefit from this because of the increased scale of the
    numbers that can be manipulated, so the math can be more precise and carried
    out to much greater scale.

    Basically, if you are asking about whether you should install 64 bit
    Windows on your computer, you should probably just install 32 bit, or ask a
    friend or local professional if they can install it for you. You are
    probably not going to get a correct answer for your hardware configuration
    by asking online. Not to mention, having someone do it for you or explain it
    to you in person is going to benefit you, because you can ask questions in
    greater detail.

    -Russell

    Russell AliBey, Feb 8, 2007
  11. >> Don't confuse dual-/multicore CPUs with 64-bit ones. One doesn't
    >> automatically imply the other.
    >>

    > I think nearly any dual core CPU's currently sold are 64 bit.

    Granted. But there are exceptions as Charlie pointed out.

    > On the other side there certainly are single core 64 bit CPU's

    That was implied in my answer.
    Homer J. Simpson, Feb 11, 2007
  12. =?Utf-8?B?d2luZG93cyA2NCBiaXQgT3BlcmF0aW9uIFN5c3Rl

    BSchnur Guest

    OK - we are in agreement -- this is a good thing.

    --
    Barry Schnur
    BSchnur, Feb 11, 2007