Can I go digital with this old system?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Abuelo, Aug 14, 2004.

  1. Abuelo

    Abuelo Guest

    I'm using an old Toshiba 465cdx laptop running Win95.
    Ports = 1 serial, 1 parallel. Slots for type I, II, & III PC / PCMCI cards.
    (Not sure card slots work since have never used them.)
    Disks = 1 3.5, 1 CD.
    Do not have workable usb ports.

    Is there a way to get the out put from a digital camera into this system.
    Just have a few items I would like to be able to photograph and send via
    e-mail. Have a scanner and have been scanning photos for this purpose but
    would like to be able to go from camera to computer w/o the scanner step.
    Plus would be able to confirm I have a usable photograph where sometimes now
    I find I do not have a usable photo after the film is developed and I have
    to do over.

    Any suggestions?

    Please reply to

    Thanks.

    Abuelo
    Abuelo, Aug 14, 2004

  2. Abuelo

    Guest

    Abuelo <> wrote:
    > I'm using an old Toshiba 465cdx laptop running Win95.
    > Ports = 1 serial, 1 parallel. Slots for type I, II, & III PC / PCMCI cards.
    > (Not sure card slots work since have never used them.)
    > Disks = 1 3.5, 1 CD.
    > Do not have workable usb ports.

    > Is there a way to get the out put from a digital camera into this system.
    > Just have a few items I would like to be able to photograph and send via
    > e-mail. Have a scanner and have been scanning photos for this purpose but
    > would like to be able to go from camera to computer w/o the scanner step.
    > Plus would be able to confirm I have a usable photograph where sometimes now
    > I find I do not have a usable photo after the film is developed and I have
    > to do over.

    > Any suggestions?

    You could hook up a card reader via your computer's parallel port.
    The down side is, it will be slow; very slow. Depends on what you
    want to do with the images after you download them to your computer.
    , Aug 14, 2004

  3. Abuelo

    ferret Guest

    You could use an adapter that takes digital camera cards that slots into the
    PCMCI port. You can certainly do this with compactflash cards. Your best bet
    though would be to get a new PC

    Alan

    ferret, Aug 14, 2004
  4. Abuelo

    dylan Guest

    Use the PCMCIA slot with a suitable adaptor, eg compactflash one costs
    around £10 ($10) . Will be a bit slow compared to 'modern' systems but
    should work fine for your uses. I used a Toshiba 440 CDX for several years
    and it still works fine.

    The USB port on the the 440 series didn't work due to chip problems, your
    465 maybe the same, so you could try to upgrade to Win 98 and try a USB
    pcmcia card but this is added expense and you maybe pushing the Tosh's
    memory.

    dylan, Aug 14, 2004
  5. Abuelo

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Abuelo wrote:
    > I'm using an old Toshiba 465cdx laptop running Win95.
    > Ports = 1 serial, 1 parallel. Slots for type I, II, & III PC / PCMCI cards.
    > (Not sure card slots work since have never used them.)
    > Disks = 1 3.5, 1 CD.
    > Do not have workable usb ports.
    >
    > Is there a way to get the out put from a digital camera into this system.
    > Just have a few items I would like to be able to photograph and send via
    > e-mail. Have a scanner and have been scanning photos for this purpose but
    > would like to be able to go from camera to computer w/o the scanner step.
    > Plus would be able to confirm I have a usable photograph where sometimes now
    > I find I do not have a usable photo after the film is developed and I have
    > to do over.
    >
    > Any suggestions?
    >
    > Please reply to
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Abuelo

    You can buy adapters for the PCMCIA port for CF cards, at least.
    Quickest, and cheapest approach since Win95 doesn't really like USB.
    Ron Hunter, Aug 14, 2004
  6. Abuelo

    Skip M Guest

    "Abuelo" <> wrote in message
    > I'm using an old Toshiba 465cdx laptop running Win95.
    > Ports = 1 serial, 1 parallel. Slots for type I, II, & III PC / PCMCI

    cards.
    > (Not sure card slots work since have never used them.)
    > Disks = 1 3.5, 1 CD.
    > Do not have workable usb ports.
    >
    > Is there a way to get the out put from a digital camera into this system.
    > Just have a few items I would like to be able to photograph and send via
    > e-mail. Have a scanner and have been scanning photos for this purpose but
    > would like to be able to go from camera to computer w/o the scanner step.
    > Plus would be able to confirm I have a usable photograph where sometimes

    now
    > I find I do not have a usable photo after the film is developed and I have
    > to do over.
    >
    > Any suggestions?
    >
    > Please reply to
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Abuelo

    Probably not well. Anything can be made to work, but the lack of USB ports
    would cripple me, at least. Plus the processor speed would let you do other
    things, like mow the lawn, while processing images...;-)

    --
    Skip Middleton
    http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com
    Skip M, Aug 14, 2004
  7. With Win 95 you will not be able to use USB ports. If your machine is
    very old, you can put in Win 98 in most cases. If it accepts Win 98
    properly, then you can get a PCMCIA USB card. You will then find out
    of the BIOS in the machine will support it. Once this is all
    accomplished, you can then use the camera to the machine.

    Also, see if you can find a PCMCIA card that will directly read a
    flashcard. You can then read the flashcard from the camera directly. I
    have no idea if Win 95 will see the driver for it. You would have to
    try it.

    In anycase, your machine will be terribly slow to read a flashcard, or
    use any of the newer PCMCIA cards if it is too old.

    Another solution is to see if you can get an older digital camera that
    will work with the serial and parallel ports. There were some cameras
    made up to about 2.5 mp a number of years ago that can work with the
    serial and parallel ports. This would work for you, if you are stuck
    to use a digital camera. You would have to find one that is used.

    There are also some adabtors that can convert serial to USB, and USB
    to serial. I have not tried one, but I heard that for many
    applications they do work. Some USB devices may not like the adabtor,
    because the conversion is too slow, and causes timeout faults. There
    is also the fact the the USB device may require some acknowledgements,
    and may not be able to see them.

    You would have to experiment with all of this.

    Personaly, I would strongly consider to get a more modern computer.
    You can find some older PIII machines at very good prices that would
    work for what you want, and the speed would not be too bad for most
    photo tasks.

    There are places that will print photos from the camera's flashcard.
    Some of these places will make a photo CD in any standard format you
    want. Their services are not very expensive.

    After doing your camera jobs, you can bring them the flashcard, and
    ask them to burn you a CD disk of the contents. They may charge a few
    dollars, plus a dollar or two for the CD disk. For a one or two times
    use, this would be the most viable solution.

    Jerry G.
    ========

    Jerry Greenberg, Aug 14, 2004
  8. Abuelo

    Matt Ion Guest

    That'll do the trick, but you'll probably need to either a) get a camera
    that uses CF memory, then get a PCMCIA adapter for the CF card, or b) get a
    PCMCIA USB adapter to plug the camera or a crad reader into, and upgrade to
    at least Windows 98SE (earlier versions do not support USB). You may also
    want to look at upgrading the memory (depending on how much there is now) as
    Win98SE will run better with it, and large images will require it for
    efficient processing.

    One other thing to be aware of, that I've run into with Toshiba Satellite
    laptops: there's a setting in the BIOS for the compatibility type of the
    PCMCIA slots, with the options being PCIC-Compatible, and PCMCIA Type II (or
    something like that)... most PCMCIA cards *will not work properly* if the
    slots are set for PCIC, and may give the impression that the slots are
    faulty. I fought with different WiFi, NIC and modem cards for quite a while
    before I discovered this on my sister's Satellite: the cards would be
    recognized by Windows, but couldn't be enabled by their software. If you're
    having problems with PC Cards on your laptop, check this out.

    from the prejudices of their social environment. Most people are even
    incapable of forming such opinions."
    -- Albert Einstein

    Matt Ion, Aug 14, 2004
  9. Abuelo

    John EO Guest

    Evidently you aren't really into the latest and greatest of what's out
    there. Nothing wrong with that (keeping up these days does cost $$$$) if
    what you have still serves your purpose.

    Many solutions have been offered and no one has mentioned a Sony Mavica,
    either a CD Mavica that records directly to CD or a floppy Mavica that
    records directly to floppy.

    There are also models that record to Memory Stick and also have a floppy
    drive such as the Mavica FD-97 (I have one of these). This is only a 2.1mp
    camera but still records excellent quality photos which you can record to MS
    and copy to floppy if need be (for tranfering to your lap top). You can also
    record directly to the floppy though the compression is much greater to
    allow 4 1600x1200 photos on a floppy. (950kb vs 350kb approx)

    There are some newer models of these Sony Mavicas out or you could probably
    pick up a used one (eBay?) fairly inexpensive.

    For the most part the Mavicas are not the newest tecnology but provide an
    alternative for older computer systems and they are very well made digital
    cameras. I bought my FD-91 (.9mp) in early '99, took thousands of shots with
    it, gave it to my son who took I don't know how many shots and now I have it
    back and it still works flawlessly.

    John EO, Aug 15, 2004
  10. Abuelo

    dj_nme Guest

    Abuelo wrote:
    > I'm using an old Toshiba 465cdx laptop running Win95.
    > Ports = 1 serial, 1 parallel. Slots for type I, II, & III PC / PCMCI cards.
    > (Not sure card slots work since have never used them.)
    > Disks = 1 3.5, 1 CD.
    > Do not have workable usb ports.
    >
    > Is there a way to get the out put from a digital camera into this system.
    > Just have a few items I would like to be able to photograph and send via
    > e-mail. Have a scanner and have been scanning photos for this purpose but
    > would like to be able to go from camera to computer w/o the scanner step.
    > Plus would be able to confirm I have a usable photograph where sometimes now
    > I find I do not have a usable photo after the film is developed and I have
    > to do over.
    >
    > Any suggestions?
    >
    > Please reply to
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Abuelo

    The only way to copy from a recently (last 2~3 years) made digital
    camera is to use a PCMCIA (PC card) to Compact Flash (CF) adapter.
    I have an older (circa 1995) Olympus D-600L DSLR that has a serial port
    connection, but uses a proprietary plug on the camera and it is only 1.5 MP.

    I am pretty sure that the CF to PC card adapter is about the only viable
    solution. The computer will see the CF card as just another harddisk.
    dj_nme, Aug 16, 2004