    forward, so can anyone tell me roughly whats involved in ghosting my old
    drive to my new one and what problems there maybe, just a brief outline will
    do to get me started in the right direction, thanks.
    blanking, Nov 8, 2007

  2. On Thu, 8 Nov 2007 15:35:33 +1300, blanking <blanking@brain> wrote in
    <news:473281fe$>:

    > Just bought a new harddrive as i need the extra capacity, the new drive is
    > bigger and faster than the old one so I would like to make this my primary
    > drive, in the old days with dos etc... it was easy to ghost the entire
    > harddrive but now i am running windowsxp I expect it is not that straight
    > forward, so can anyone tell me roughly whats involved in ghosting my old
    > drive to my new one and what problems there maybe, just a brief outline will
    > do to get me started in the right direction, thanks.

    Check out a program called Acronis True Image. Does what you want and a
    lot more besides.

    --
    Nicolaas.
    Nicolaas Hawkins, Nov 8, 2007

  3. blanking

    blanking Guest

    "Nicolaas Hawkins" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 8 Nov 2007 15:35:33 +1300, blanking <blanking@brain> wrote in
    >
    >> Just bought a new harddrive as i need the extra capacity, the new drive
    >> is
    >> bigger and faster than the old one so I would like to make this my
    >> primary
    >> drive, in the old days with dos etc... it was easy to ghost the entire
    >> harddrive but now i am running windowsxp I expect it is not that straight
    >> forward, so can anyone tell me roughly whats involved in ghosting my old
    >> drive to my new one and what problems there maybe, just a brief outline
    >> will
    >> do to get me started in the right direction, thanks.

    > Check out a program called Acronis True Image. Does what you want and a
    > lot more besides.
    >
    > --
    > Nicolaas.

    Thanks, but this is a one off task for me so don't want to spend money on
    it.
    blanking, Nov 8, 2007
  4. blanking

    John Guest

    On Thu, 8 Nov 2007 16:19:05 +1300, blanking wrote:

    > "Nicolaas Hawkins" <> wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 8 Nov 2007 15:35:33 +1300, blanking <blanking@brain> wrote in
    >>
    >>> Just bought a new harddrive as i need the extra capacity, the new drive
    >>> is
    >>> bigger and faster than the old one so I would like to make this my
    >>> primary
    >>> drive, in the old days with dos etc... it was easy to ghost the entire
    >>> harddrive but now i am running windowsxp I expect it is not that straight
    >>> forward, so can anyone tell me roughly whats involved in ghosting my old
    >>> drive to my new one and what problems there maybe, just a brief outline
    >>> will
    >>> do to get me started in the right direction, thanks.

    >> Check out a program called Acronis True Image. Does what you want and a
    >> lot more besides.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Nicolaas.

    > Thanks, but this is a one off task for me so don't want to spend money on
    > it.

    If the drive is a Seagate use DiskWizard a free cut down version of
    Acronis TrueImage v10, with this software you can either clone, or
    image the drive.
    John, Nov 8, 2007
  5. blanking

    blanking Guest

    "John" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 8 Nov 2007 16:19:05 +1300, blanking wrote:
    >
    >> "Nicolaas Hawkins" <> wrote in message
    >>> On Thu, 8 Nov 2007 15:35:33 +1300, blanking <blanking@brain> wrote in

    >>> Check out a program called Acronis True Image. Does what you want and a
    >>> lot more besides.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Nicolaas.

    >> Thanks, but this is a one off task for me so don't want to spend money on
    >> it.

    > If the drive is a Seagate use DiskWizard a free cut down version of
    > Acronis TrueImage v10, with this software you can either clone, or
    > image the drive.

    Thanks a lot, it is a seagate I have, do you know if windowsxp will still
    give me grief for trying to do this, it's designed to stop you doing this
    sort of thing isn't it otherwise you could pirate the os this way.
    blanking, Nov 8, 2007
  6. On Thu, 8 Nov 2007 17:33:57 +1300, blanking <blanking@brain> wrote in

    > "John" <> wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 8 Nov 2007 16:19:05 +1300, blanking wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Nicolaas Hawkins" <> wrote in message

    >>> Thanks, but this is a one off task for me so don't want to spend money on
    >>> it.

    >> If the drive is a Seagate use DiskWizard a free cut down version of
    >> Acronis TrueImage v10, with this software you can either clone, or
    >> image the drive.

    > Thanks a lot, it is a seagate I have, do you know if windowsxp will still
    > give me grief for trying to do this, it's designed to stop you doing this
    > sort of thing isn't it otherwise you could pirate the os this way.

    At the risk of drawing fire from some quarters:
    Confucuius him say: "He who always look for fly in ointment, often find
    one land there while he look"
    Just do it and pack up worrying. Worst case, you will have to reactivate
    XP (you DO have a legit version, I take it?)

    --
    Nicolaas.

    .... It is not what a teenager knows that bothers hir parents, it is how
    s/he found out.
    Nicolaas Hawkins, Nov 8, 2007
  7. blanking

    > On Thu, 8 Nov 2007 17:33:57 +1300, blanking <blanking@brain> wrote in
    >
    >> "John" <> wrote in message

    >>> If the drive is a Seagate use DiskWizard a free cut down version of
    >>> Acronis TrueImage v10, with this software you can either clone, or
    >>> image the drive.

    >> Thanks a lot, it is a seagate I have, do you know if windowsxp will still
    >> give me grief for trying to do this, it's designed to stop you doing this
    >> sort of thing isn't it otherwise you could pirate the os this way.

    > At the risk of drawing fire from some quarters:
    > Confucuius him say: "He who always look for fly in ointment, often find
    > one land there while he look"
    > Just do it and pack up worrying. Worst case, you will have to reactivate
    > XP (you DO have a legit version, I take it?)
    >
    > --
    > Nicolaas.

    Yes, yes, I know what you mean, I just want to avoid unnecessary hassle of
    trying to do something that is problematic, rather just have my old drive
    stay as the primary, but the seagate wizard sounds very promising so will
    give it a go, the worst case scenario is actually that I waist my time. Yes
    i own winxp.
    blanking, Nov 8, 2007
  8. blanking

    JayJay Guest

    On Thu, 8 Nov 2007 17:33:57 +1300, blanking wrote:

    > "John" <> wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 8 Nov 2007 16:19:05 +1300, blanking wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Nicolaas Hawkins" <> wrote in message

    >>> Thanks, but this is a one off task for me so don't want to spend money on
    >>> it.

    >> If the drive is a Seagate use DiskWizard a free cut down version of
    >> Acronis TrueImage v10, with this software you can either clone, or
    >> image the drive.

    > Thanks a lot, it is a seagate I have, do you know if windowsxp will still
    > give me grief for trying to do this, it's designed to stop you doing this
    > sort of thing isn't it otherwise you could pirate the os this way.

    If it's just the hard drive being changed it shouldn't be a problem.
    JayJay, Nov 8, 2007
  9. On Thu, 8 Nov 2007 17:56:46 +1300, blanking <blanking@brain> wrote in

    > "Nicolaas Hawkins" <> wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 8 Nov 2007 17:33:57 +1300, blanking <blanking@brain> wrote in
    >>
    >>> "John" <> wrote in message

    >>> Thanks a lot, it is a seagate I have, do you know if windowsxp will still
    >>> give me grief for trying to do this, it's designed to stop you doing this
    >>> sort of thing isn't it otherwise you could pirate the os this way.

    >> At the risk of drawing fire from some quarters:
    >> Confucuius him say: "He who always look for fly in ointment, often find
    >> one land there while he look"
    >> Just do it and pack up worrying. Worst case, you will have to reactivate
    >> XP (you DO have a legit version, I take it?)
    >>
    >> --
    >> Nicolaas.
    >>

    > Yes, yes, I know what you mean, I just want to avoid unnecessary hassle of
    > trying to do something that is problematic, rather just have my old drive
    > stay as the primary, but the seagate wizard sounds very promising so will
    > give it a go, the worst case scenario is actually that I waist my time. Yes
    > i own winxp.

    You can image the old drive and deploy it to the new drive (one of True
    Image's functions) non-destructively so, in the unlikely event of it all
    turning to cow-poo on you, you still have the original installation to
    fall back on.

    --
    Nicolaas.

    .... When you argue with a fool, the fool you are arguing with is doing the
    same.
    Nicolaas Hawkins, Nov 8, 2007
  10. On Thu, 8 Nov 2007 18:01:33 +1300, JayJay <> wrote in

    > On Thu, 8 Nov 2007 17:33:57 +1300, blanking wrote:
    >
    >> "John" <> wrote in message

    >>> If the drive is a Seagate use DiskWizard a free cut down version of
    >>> Acronis TrueImage v10, with this software you can either clone, or
    >>> image the drive.

    >> Thanks a lot, it is a seagate I have, do you know if windowsxp will still
    >> give me grief for trying to do this, it's designed to stop you doing this
    >> sort of thing isn't it otherwise you could pirate the os this way.

    > If it's just the hard drive being changed it shouldn't be a problem.

    Thanks for confirming what I thought.

    --
    Nicolaas.

    .... When everything's coming your way, you're in the wrong lane.
    Nicolaas Hawkins, Nov 8, 2007
  11. blanking

    blanking Guest

    "JayJay" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 8 Nov 2007 17:33:57 +1300, blanking wrote:
    >
    >> "John" <> wrote in message

    >>> If the drive is a Seagate use DiskWizard a free cut down version of
    >>> Acronis TrueImage v10, with this software you can either clone, or
    >>> image the drive.

    >> Thanks a lot, it is a seagate I have, do you know if windowsxp will still
    >> give me grief for trying to do this, it's designed to stop you doing this
    >> sort of thing isn't it otherwise you could pirate the os this way.

    > If it's just the hard drive being changed it shouldn't be a problem.

    Thanks.
    blanking, Nov 8, 2007
  12. blanking

    Ray Greene Guest

    On Thu, 8 Nov 2007 18:14:19 +1300, Nicolaas Hawkins
    <> wrote:

    >On Thu, 8 Nov 2007 18:01:33 +1300, JayJay <> wrote in
    >
    >> On Thu, 8 Nov 2007 17:33:57 +1300, blanking wrote:
    >>
    >>> "John" <> wrote in message

    >>> Thanks a lot, it is a seagate I have, do you know if windowsxp will still
    >>> give me grief for trying to do this, it's designed to stop you doing this
    >>> sort of thing isn't it otherwise you could pirate the os this way.

    >> If it's just the hard drive being changed it shouldn't be a problem.

    >Thanks for confirming what I thought.

    We do this all the time at work, I haven't reinstalled Windows from a
    disk for a long time. I image every new model of PC that we get and
    just update the Windows registration key after installing an image
    onto a different PC.

    We use Image For Windows rather than Ghost but it has never caused a
    problem.

    --
    Ray Greene.
    Ray Greene, Nov 8, 2007
  13. blanking

    geoff Guest

    blanking wrote:

    > Thanks a lot, it is a seagate I have, do you know if windowsxp will
    > still give me grief for trying to do this,

    No it won't. It is sucessfully done all the time.

    it's designed to stop you
    > doing this sort of thing isn't it otherwise you could pirate the os
    > this way.

    You may be prompted to re-activate your XP if it considers a sufficently
    large system change has happened. Unless you've done a whole heap of disk
    clones this will happen very straight-forwardly. If you have done this more
    than 4 times , a phone call may be necessary.

    geoff
    geoff, Nov 9, 2007
  14. blanking

    blanking Guest

    "geoff" <> wrote in message
    > blanking wrote:
    >>
    >> Thanks a lot, it is a seagate I have, do you know if windowsxp will
    >> still give me grief for trying to do this,

    > No it won't. It is sucessfully done all the time.
    >
    > it's designed to stop you
    >> doing this sort of thing isn't it otherwise you could pirate the os
    >> this way.

    > You may be prompted to re-activate your XP if it considers a sufficently
    > large system change has happened. Unless you've done a whole heap of disk
    > clones this will happen very straight-forwardly. If you have done this
    > more than 4 times , a phone call may be necessary.
    >

    > geoff

    Unfortunately as I feared it has not gone according to plan, I did hdd clone
    using the seagate software and the automatic settings, all appeared to go
    fine until I tried to boot from the new hdd, upon which i got the error
    message, "error loading os", this happens immediately upon the boot attempt.
    According to the documentation with seagate software the new drive should
    have been made bootable when using automatic settings in clone, so not sure
    what has gone wrong. Of course i set the new drive as the one to boot from
    first in my bios, the old drive still boots fine when I select that as the
    one to boot from first.
    blanking, Nov 9, 2007
  15. blanking

    blanking Guest

    blanking, Nov 9, 2007
  16. blanking

    bret Guest

    On Fri, 9 Nov 2007 16:25:51 +1300, blanking wrote:

    > "geoff" <> wrote in message
    >> blanking wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Thanks a lot, it is a seagate I have, do you know if windowsxp will
    >>> still give me grief for trying to do this,

    >> No it won't. It is sucessfully done all the time.
    >>
    >> it's designed to stop you
    >>> doing this sort of thing isn't it otherwise you could pirate the os
    >>> this way.

    >> You may be prompted to re-activate your XP if it considers a sufficently
    >> large system change has happened. Unless you've done a whole heap of disk
    >> clones this will happen very straight-forwardly. If you have done this
    >> more than 4 times , a phone call may be necessary.
    >>

    >> geoff
    >>

    > Unfortunately as I feared it has not gone according to plan, I did hdd clone
    > using the seagate software and the automatic settings, all appeared to go
    > fine until I tried to boot from the new hdd, upon which i got the error
    > message, "error loading os", this happens immediately upon the boot attempt.
    > According to the documentation with seagate software the new drive should
    > have been made bootable when using automatic settings in clone, so not sure
    > what has gone wrong. Of course i set the new drive as the one to boot from
    > first in my bios, the old drive still boots fine when I select that as the
    > one to boot from first.

    Boot of the XP cd into the recovery comsole.
    Fixboot or fixmbr I think :)
    Google it.
    bret, Nov 9, 2007
  17. blanking

    bret Guest

    On Fri, 9 Nov 2007 16:41:47 +1300, bret wrote:

    > On Fri, 9 Nov 2007 16:25:51 +1300, blanking wrote:
    >
    >> "geoff" <> wrote in message

    >>> No it won't. It is sucessfully done all the time.
    >>>
    >>> it's designed to stop you
    >>>
    >>> You may be prompted to re-activate your XP if it considers a sufficently
    >>> large system change has happened. Unless you've done a whole heap of disk
    >>> clones this will happen very straight-forwardly. If you have done this
    >>> more than 4 times , a phone call may be necessary.
    >>>

    >>> geoff
    >>>

    >> Unfortunately as I feared it has not gone according to plan, I did hdd clone
    >> using the seagate software and the automatic settings, all appeared to go
    >> fine until I tried to boot from the new hdd, upon which i got the error
    >> message, "error loading os", this happens immediately upon the boot attempt.
    >> According to the documentation with seagate software the new drive should
    >> have been made bootable when using automatic settings in clone, so not sure
    >> what has gone wrong. Of course i set the new drive as the one to boot from
    >> first in my bios, the old drive still boots fine when I select that as the
    >> one to boot from first.

    > Boot of the XP cd into the recovery comsole.

    Or a camisole or maybe a console. LOL

    bret, Nov 9, 2007
  18. blanking

    blanking Guest

    "blanking" <blanking@brain> wrote in message

    > "geoff" <> wrote in message
    >> blanking wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Thanks a lot, it is a seagate I have, do you know if windowsxp will
    >>> still give me grief for trying to do this,

    >> No it won't. It is sucessfully done all the time.
    >>
    >> it's designed to stop you
    >>> doing this sort of thing isn't it otherwise you could pirate the os
    >>> this way.

    >> You may be prompted to re-activate your XP if it considers a sufficently
    >> large system change has happened. Unless you've done a whole heap of
    >> disk clones this will happen very straight-forwardly. If you have done
    >> this more than 4 times , a phone call may be necessary.
    >>

    >> geoff
    >>

    > Unfortunately as I feared it has not gone according to plan, I did hdd
    > clone using the seagate software and the automatic settings, all appeared
    > to go fine until I tried to boot from the new hdd, upon which i got the
    > error message, "error loading os", this happens immediately upon the boot
    > attempt. According to the documentation with seagate software the new
    > drive should have been made bootable when using automatic settings in
    > clone, so not sure what has gone wrong. Of course i set the new drive as
    > the one to boot from first in my bios, the old drive still boots fine when
    > I select that as the one to boot from first.

    By the way both drives are sata and I have not swapped the cables around
    since doing the cloning as I can change the boot order in the bios but I
    wonder if xp has a problem with finding the booting drive is no longer
    connected to the same sata port, I would have already tried to see if this
    is the case but it is a major hassle to get into my computer to do this but
    will give it a shot later for sure, unless anyone knows better. Is this the
    sort of ambiguous error winxp gives you if you change hardware on it like
    this?
    blanking, Nov 9, 2007
  19. blanking

    blanking Guest

    "bret" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 9 Nov 2007 16:25:51 +1300, blanking wrote:
    >
    >> "geoff" <> wrote in message

    >>> No it won't. It is sucessfully done all the time.
    >>>
    >>> it's designed to stop you
    >>>
    >>> You may be prompted to re-activate your XP if it considers a sufficently
    >>> large system change has happened. Unless you've done a whole heap of
    >>> disk
    >>> clones this will happen very straight-forwardly. If you have done this
    >>> more than 4 times , a phone call may be necessary.
    >>>

    >>> geoff
    >>>

    >> Unfortunately as I feared it has not gone according to plan, I did hdd
    >> clone
    >> using the seagate software and the automatic settings, all appeared to go
    >> fine until I tried to boot from the new hdd, upon which i got the error
    >> message, "error loading os", this happens immediately upon the boot
    >> attempt.
    >> According to the documentation with seagate software the new drive should
    >> have been made bootable when using automatic settings in clone, so not
    >> sure
    >> what has gone wrong. Of course i set the new drive as the one to boot
    >> from
    >> first in my bios, the old drive still boots fine when I select that as
    >> the
    >> one to boot from first.

    > Boot of the XP cd into the recovery comsole.
    > Fixboot or fixmbr I think :)
    > Google it.

    Thanks but why would there be anything wrong with the mbr, the seagate
    software is designed to take care of this, can't i trust that this is the
    case.
    Will give it a go later though if i have no other luck, thanks.
    blanking, Nov 9, 2007
  20. blanking

    bret Guest

    On Fri, 9 Nov 2007 16:49:42 +1300, blanking wrote:

    > "bret" <> wrote in message
    >> On Fri, 9 Nov 2007 16:25:51 +1300, blanking wrote:
    >>
    >>> "geoff" <> wrote in message

    >>> Unfortunately as I feared it has not gone according to plan, I did hdd
    >>> clone
    >>> using the seagate software and the automatic settings, all appeared to go
    >>> fine until I tried to boot from the new hdd, upon which i got the error
    >>> message, "error loading os", this happens immediately upon the boot
    >>> attempt.
    >>> According to the documentation with seagate software the new drive should
    >>> have been made bootable when using automatic settings in clone, so not
    >>> sure
    >>> what has gone wrong. Of course i set the new drive as the one to boot
    >>> from
    >>> first in my bios, the old drive still boots fine when I select that as
    >>> the
    >>> one to boot from first.

    >> Boot of the XP cd into the recovery comsole.
    >> Fixboot or fixmbr I think :)
    >> Google it.

    > Thanks but why would there be anything wrong with the mbr, the seagate
    > software is designed to take care of this, can't i trust that this is the
    > case.

    I don't know why your boot record is damaged, but from the error message it
    seems so.

    > Will give it a go later though if i have no other luck, thanks.

    It's a quick and easy thing to do, I would try it first.
    bret, Nov 9, 2007