    XP/Pro/SP3 on everything.

    Thanks in advance.

    -S-
    Steve Freides, Feb 21, 2009

  2. On Fri, 20 Feb 2009 21:25:28 -0500, "Steve Freides" <>
    wrote:

    >It's actually my wife's computer - I use some files that live on her
    >computer, and it's a pain if she reboots and I've got them open. Is
    >there any configuration item on her machine I could set that would let
    >her know _not_ to reboot when me or anyone else has files opened on her
    >computer?
    >
    >XP/Pro/SP3 on everything.
    >
    >Thanks in advance.
    >
    >-S-

    Are your wife's breasts supple and puffy?
    Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del, Feb 21, 2009

  3. Steve Freides

    Guest

    Re: Can I get warned before rebooting if someone has a file open onmy machine?

    Steve Freides wrote:
    > It's actually my wife's computer - I use some files that live on her
    > computer, and it's a pain if she reboots and I've got them open. Is
    > there any configuration item on her machine I could set that would let
    > her know _not_ to reboot when me or anyone else has files opened on her
    > computer?
    >
    > XP/Pro/SP3 on everything.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > -S-

    Look in control panel and set up your own account, in users, create
    users or whatever it is. Only takes a moment to make your own account.

    So when you boot the computer it will show the wifes account and your
    newly created account to choose to boot into, you can even create a
    password for your accnt.

    This new account will in its-self will make a warning if another user
    account has open programs.
    , Feb 21, 2009
  4. Steve Freides

    Mike Easter Guest

    Steve Freides wrote:
    > It's actually my wife's computer - I use some files that live on her
    > computer, and it's a pain if she reboots and I've got them open.

    I don't think I fully understand the problem yet.

    I'm imagining a local network with file sharing. Let's just temporarily
    forget about your running an application on your computer which is
    actively using a file on her computer, which is what I assume is what you
    mean when you say that you have a file open on her computer.

    Typically even without such active 'open' file use, when Windows is
    getting ready to shut down (in an orderly fashion) and another user on the
    local network who is accessing the shutting down computer's files (whether
    any of them are open or not), windows alerts the shuttingdowner that there
    are others on the network - so the shutdowner has to 'agree' that that is
    just fine that the sharer is going to be cut off, so to speak.

    If you are saying that her approach to that alert is something like, "So?
    To hell with him. I don't really care if he's cut off or not." -- and so
    therefore you want your own alert -- then you have a problem.

    Is that really the scenario we are dealing with, or do you mean something
    else?

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Feb 21, 2009
  5. Steve Freides wrote:

    > It's actually my wife's computer - I use some files that live on her
    > computer, and it's a pain if she reboots and I've got them open. Is
    > there any configuration item on her machine I could set that would let
    > her know _not_ to reboot when me or anyone else has files opened on her
    > computer?
    >
    > XP/Pro/SP3 on everything.

    Windows normally will alert upon shutdown when there are still open network
    connections. Maybe some 3rd-party software blocks or disables that?
    wisdomkiller & pain, Feb 21, 2009
  6. Nonsense wrote:

    > A network? Or your wife is elsewhere and peer2peer?
    > Or a trojan and you wife is unaware?
    > First step: Learn to post a coherent question.

    ..... well, nonsense. What else to expect?
    wisdomkiller & pain, Feb 21, 2009
  7. Steve Freides

    VanguardLH Guest

    Steve Freides wrote:

    > It's actually my wife's computer - I use some files that live on her
    > computer, and it's a pain if she reboots and I've got them open. Is
    > there any configuration item on her machine I could set that would let
    > her know _not_ to reboot when me or anyone else has files opened on her
    > computer?

    So just why are you walking away from her computer with files left open?
    You're lazy and expect her to kowtow to your neglect in leaving
    documents open? You said it is her computer. That means she gets to do
    with it whatever she wants. You are the *guest*.

    Use separate accounts for you and her. That's what they are for. If
    you leave the computer with your account logged in then that was your
    choice as anyone else walking up to the computer can use your account
    however they want. You'll have to get into the habit of logging off
    when you leave, and that will close your document files.

    If you are networking to her computer and leaving files open or the
    owner of that computer unexpectedly powers it off, there is a power
    outage, it hangs due to software conflicts, or otherwise becomes
    unresponsive, hangs, or crashes, then you should start considering using
    the auto-save option within your document application to prevent losing
    any changes (except between auto-save intervals). If, for example, you
    choose to set auto-save to 5 minutes but you added something really,
    really important, then get into the habit of hitting Ctrl+S to save any
    immediate and critical changes.
    VanguardLH, Feb 21, 2009
  8. "Mike Easter" <> wrote in message
    > Steve Freides wrote:
    >> It's actually my wife's computer - I use some files that live on her
    >> computer, and it's a pain if she reboots and I've got them open.

    > I don't think I fully understand the problem yet.
    >
    > I'm imagining a local network with file sharing. Let's just
    > temporarily
    > forget about your running an application on your computer which is
    > actively using a file on her computer, which is what I assume is what
    > you
    > mean when you say that you have a file open on her computer.

    Yes, that's it.

    > Typically even without such active 'open' file use, when Windows is
    > getting ready to shut down (in an orderly fashion) and another user on
    > the
    > local network who is accessing the shutting down computer's files
    > (whether
    > any of them are open or not), windows alerts the shuttingdowner that
    > there
    > are others on the network - so the shutdowner has to 'agree' that that
    > is
    > just fine that the sharer is going to be cut off, so to speak.

    No, her machine does not warn her at all that others have files open on
    her machine.

    -S-

    Steve Freides, Feb 25, 2009