    peripherals work (printer, cable modem) could I get a 32bit win xp cd while I
    wait for the drivers? I noticed there was an option to trade up, maybe I
    could trade down?
    =?Utf-8?B?SmVlbmE=?=, Jun 8, 2005

  2. Contact the seller for trade down options.
    As far as I know Microsoft has no trade down option for 64 bit.

    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

    Jupiter Jones [MVP], Jun 8, 2005

  3. =?Utf-8?B?SmVlbmE=?=

    John Barnes Guest

    If you are retiring your old computer, why don't you just bring the old
    system over to the new computer and reactivate if necessary. You can dual
    boot until x64 becomes useful.

    John Barnes, Jun 8, 2005
  4. =?Utf-8?B?SmVlbmE=?=

    Intel Inside Guest

    Of course you should trade down. Send me the current PC & order yourself a
    new system immediately!.
    Intel Inside, Jun 8, 2005
  5. 64 bit Processor

    I want to buy a new system with a 64 bit Processor ( AMD Athlon 64 3700+ 939)
    but is it compatible with Windows XP Pro 32 bit??
    =?Utf-8?B?TWljbG8=?=, Jul 29, 2005
  6. =?Utf-8?B?SmVlbmE=?=

    NNBXX Guest

    Re: 64 bit Processor

    Yes, AMD64 or EM64T processors are compatible with Windows XP Pro 32 bit,
    but you definitely need a AMD64/EM64T processor to run Windows XP Pro x64
    Edition.

    NNBXX, Jul 29, 2005
  7. RE: 64 bit Processor

    I can answer that one for. Yes, you'll have no problems at all. I've been
    running that way since about the beginning of the year.

    peartree
    --
    It's not the fall that kills you, it's the sudden stop...

    =?Utf-8?B?dGhlcGVhcnRyZWU=?=, Jul 29, 2005
  8. Re: 64 bit Processor

    Alright.... thx for the info guys. You guys rock. O .. one more thing... is
    AMD better or is Intel?? Facts only plz!!
    =?Utf-8?B?TWljbG8=?=, Jul 30, 2005
  9. =?Utf-8?B?SmVlbmE=?=

    DKI Guest

    Re: 64 bit Processor

    Best bet is to read arround. I have both intel and AMD and as far as i am
    concerned from reading as well as seeing for my self

    AMD is best for Gaming the AMD Atholon 64 3700+ is only 2.4Ghz but its not
    the speed its the (if i can spell it right) archeture that is why it runs
    better.
    feel free to correct my spelling and i had no luck with word on spellcheck
    on (archeture)

    Intel is the best for video encoding but when comes to gaming AMD offers
    better performance per pound/dollar or what ever the currency people use.

    AMD is cheaper than intel

    AMD are also alot cooler when running compaired to Intel

    DKI, Jul 30, 2005
  10. =?Utf-8?B?SmVlbmE=?=

    Michael Zerr Guest

    Re: 64 bit Processor

    Go with AMD, they invented the EM64T instruction set(intel followed) and
    they are less expensive. In truth they are pretty much equal performance
    wise(I think AMD holds a slight edge) however AMD costs less. To me its
    a no brainer to go with AMD

    Michael Zerr, Jul 30, 2005
  11. =?Utf-8?B?SmVlbmE=?=

    NoNoBadDog! Guest

    Re: 64 bit Processor

    In addition, AMD has two other advantages: On die memory controller and the
    hypertransport bus. The current crop of Intel EM64T chips have neither.

    Bobby

    NoNoBadDog!, Jul 30, 2005
  12. =?Utf-8?B?SmVlbmE=?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Re: 64 bit Processor

    At the moment Intel for business apps and AMD for gaming. Then again, AMD is
    cheaper and less expensive to run. Depends on what you are going to do.

    John Barnes, Jul 30, 2005
  13. RE: 64 bit Processor

    Well... I want to use it for gaming.. I do mostly gaming and little office
    work... hehe
    I also run a communication program that uses ip to login to my server (which
    is ran on the same computer).Three to four applications are ran so that I can
    play with other friends aswell as banning programs.. AMD?? Right chip to get
    right??? I do online gaming only so the chip that I am thinking of getting is
    the one to get right?? Don't want to buy something not worth buying.
    =?Utf-8?B?TWljbG8=?=, Jul 30, 2005
  14. =?Utf-8?B?SmVlbmE=?=

    Shane Guest

    Re: 64 bit Processor

    "Miclo" <> wrote in message

    > Alright.... thx for the info guys. You guys rock. O .. one more thing...
    > is
    > AMD better or is Intel?? Facts only plz!!

    I looked at a lot of benchmarks, and you should too. There are different
    strengths to each processor, and you will find some surprising results on
    the benchmarks that may lean you in one direction. For me, the AMD offered
    wayyy more for the money, especially when looking at 64-bit. I won't post
    convincing results - this is something you should do your own research on
    and see the benchmarks.

    Shane
    Shane, Jul 30, 2005
  15. =?Utf-8?B?SmVlbmE=?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Re: 64 bit Processor

    Sounds like AMD would work best for you. Also recommend the 939 motherboard
    for greater flexibility in the future. Good luck.

    John Barnes, Jul 30, 2005
  16. =?Utf-8?B?SmVlbmE=?=

    Rob Stow Guest

    Re: 64 bit Processor

    NoNoBadDog! wrote:
    > In addition, AMD has two other advantages: On die memory controller and the
    > hypertransport bus. The current crop of Intel EM64T chips have neither.
    >
    > Bobby

    You forgot another important advantage: The AMD64 chips use a
    *lot* less power to do the same job - which means they run cooler
    and quieter. And the lack of an onboard memory controller not
    only slows down Intel's crappy AMD64 clones, it also means Intel
    motherboards need an external memory controller that adds 15 to
    20 W to the power consumed by the chipset.

    Rob Stow, Aug 1, 2005
  17. Re: 64 bit Processor

    Well here's a hardware question for the folks in the know. Can 64bit run two
    Dual core AMD 64bit chips. I don't mean one dual core I actully mean to full
    out dual core chips. Basicly yes 4 chips, can Xp64 do that?
    =?Utf-8?B?SGF3a2lucw==?=, Sep 11, 2005
  18. =?Utf-8?B?SmVlbmE=?=

    Colin Nowell Guest

    Re: 64 bit Processor

    In a word, yes. The XP x64 OEM licence is for up to 2 x CPUs and in this
    case, each of those CPUs may have a dual-core (which actually equals 4 of
    course). For hardware purposes, XP x64 counts one CPU piece as 1 CPU; even
    though it may have a dual-core.

    Colin

    Colin Nowell, Sep 11, 2005