    ThumbsPlus' noise filters, but they aren't working for this.

    What technique or app can I use to try to correct this blunder?

    jmc
    jmc, Feb 9, 2007

  2. On Fri, 09 Feb 2007 18:43:25 +0930, in rec.photo.digital jmc
    <> wrote:

    >Was in Tasmania on vacation; during one evening I tried to take pictures
    >of shearwaters (an ocean bird) coming in to their burrows at night; I
    >couldn't get good pics even at ISO 1600.
    >
    >I then forgot to change the ISO the next day, and all my "wonderful"
    >pictures of Dove Lake and Cradle Mountain on a sunny, warm day are at
    >ISO 1600. They're not totally ruined, but to me just aren't quite
    >right, especially compared to other pics I took. I've tried using
    >ThumbsPlus' noise filters, but they aren't working for this.
    >
    >What technique or app can I use to try to correct this blunder?

    Neat Image or Noise Ninja. Be sure to get the appropriate profile for you
    camera and ISO.
    --
    Ed Ruf ()
    Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!), Feb 9, 2007

  3. jmc

    Rudy Benner Guest

    "jmc" <> wrote in message
    > Was in Tasmania on vacation; during one evening I tried to take pictures
    > of shearwaters (an ocean bird) coming in to their burrows at night; I
    > couldn't get good pics even at ISO 1600.
    >
    > I then forgot to change the ISO the next day, and all my "wonderful"
    > pictures of Dove Lake and Cradle Mountain on a sunny, warm day are at ISO
    > 1600. They're not totally ruined, but to me just aren't quite right,
    > especially compared to other pics I took. I've tried using ThumbsPlus'
    > noise filters, but they aren't working for this.
    >
    > What technique or app can I use to try to correct this blunder?
    >
    > jmc

    Any chance of a sample image or two?
    Rudy Benner, Feb 9, 2007
  4. jmc

    Fred Guest

    "jmc" <> wrote in message
    > Was in Tasmania on vacation; during one evening I tried to take pictures
    > of shearwaters (an ocean bird) coming in to their burrows at night; I
    > couldn't get good pics even at ISO 1600.
    >
    > I then forgot to change the ISO the next day, and all my "wonderful"
    > pictures of Dove Lake and Cradle Mountain on a sunny, warm day are at ISO
    > 1600. They're not totally ruined, but to me just aren't quite right,
    > especially compared to other pics I took. I've tried using ThumbsPlus'
    > noise filters, but they aren't working for this.
    >
    > What technique or app can I use to try to correct this blunder?

    Been there, done that, it's *very* frustrating, especially if it happens on
    a vacation :eek:(

    I took a whole afternoons worth of photos last week, in full sunshine at
    high ISO by mistake! Unfortunately I don't think there's anything you can do
    to retrieve the situation, I've just resigned myself to the photos being
    useless. In my case it wasn't the end of the world, but it's still very
    annoying nonetheless.
    Fred, Feb 9, 2007
  5. jmc

    Ken Lucke Guest

    In article <>, jmc
    <> wrote:

    > Was in Tasmania on vacation; during one evening I tried to take pictures
    > of shearwaters (an ocean bird) coming in to their burrows at night; I
    > couldn't get good pics even at ISO 1600.
    >
    > I then forgot to change the ISO the next day, and all my "wonderful"
    > pictures of Dove Lake and Cradle Mountain on a sunny, warm day are at
    > ISO 1600. They're not totally ruined, but to me just aren't quite
    > right, especially compared to other pics I took. I've tried using
    > ThumbsPlus' noise filters, but they aren't working for this.
    >
    > What technique or app can I use to try to correct this blunder?
    >
    > jmc

    Nothing is perfect - with noise filters you trade reduction of noise
    for some loss of sharpness and detail, by the very nature of how it
    works, unless you are _very_ good at masking prior to noise reduction.
    I've always found Noise Ninja to be better than anything else I've
    tried, but YMMV.

    independence.
    -- Charles A. Beard
    Ken Lucke, Feb 9, 2007
  6. jmc

    Marvin Guest

    jmc wrote:
    > Was in Tasmania on vacation; during one evening I tried to take pictures
    > of shearwaters (an ocean bird) coming in to their burrows at night; I
    > couldn't get good pics even at ISO 1600.
    >
    > I then forgot to change the ISO the next day, and all my "wonderful"
    > pictures of Dove Lake and Cradle Mountain on a sunny, warm day are at
    > ISO 1600. They're not totally ruined, but to me just aren't quite
    > right, especially compared to other pics I took. I've tried using
    > ThumbsPlus' noise filters, but they aren't working for this.
    >
    > What technique or app can I use to try to correct this blunder?
    >
    > jmc

    Perhaps you can post one somewhere, and I'll see what I can
    do with Paint Shop Pro. If you can't post it, send me one
    as an e-mail attachment.
    Marvin, Feb 9, 2007
  7. jmc

    Ken Lucke Guest

    In article <090220070904253471%>, Ken Lucke
    <> wrote:

    > In article <>, jmc
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > > Was in Tasmania on vacation; during one evening I tried to take pictures
    > > of shearwaters (an ocean bird) coming in to their burrows at night; I
    > > couldn't get good pics even at ISO 1600.
    > >
    > > I then forgot to change the ISO the next day, and all my "wonderful"
    > > pictures of Dove Lake and Cradle Mountain on a sunny, warm day are at
    > > ISO 1600. They're not totally ruined, but to me just aren't quite
    > > right, especially compared to other pics I took. I've tried using
    > > ThumbsPlus' noise filters, but they aren't working for this.
    > >
    > > What technique or app can I use to try to correct this blunder?
    > >
    > > jmc

    > Nothing is perfect - with noise filters you trade reduction of noise
    > for some loss of sharpness and detail, by the very nature of how it
    > works, unless you are _very_ good at masking prior to noise reduction.
    > I've always found Noise Ninja to be better than anything else I've
    > tried, but YMMV.

    Oooops, my brain fart - I _meant_ to say Noiseware Professional, not
    Noise Ninja... I had just read someone else's response at the time that
    mentioned NN, and wasn't paying attention to what I typed.

    Here's a before and after of the exact thing you are talking about... I
    had been shooting some architectural shots of the brick archways in the
    interior of the Heceta Head Lighthouse. For some reason, as they would
    not allow tripods I was shooting handheld in very dim light, so I was
    at ISO 1600 (I never intended to actually use those shots, they were
    just practice). I then climbed up to shoot the inside of the lens, and
    forgot to switch back to my normal ISO 100. I took several shots, all
    of which were very nice, but was down the road 30 minutes before I
    realized my mistake, and could not go back... and by the time I could
    get back to the lighthouse later in the year, the tours were over for
    the year.

    Before (2.5mb):
    <http://www.nwconcessions.com/heceta/DPP_0223_before.jpg>

    After (1.4mb):
    <http://www.nwconcessions.com/heceta/DPP_0223_after.jpg>

    Both shots are full size, no crop, nothing done except application of
    Noiseware Pro (PS plugin version) on the second image, and conversion
    of both to .jpg for the web/size constraints, and saving at a
    compression level of 8 (PS scale).

    Zoom in on the images, and notice the noise is cleaned up considerably
    in the "after", but there is a definite softening of the image. I
    could probably clean that up by judicious sharpening, but I'll just go
    back this year and get better shots at a proper ISO.

    Also notice that cleaning up the noise allowed almost a 30% reduction
    in file size over the noisy picture at the compression level I used -
    which is because the noise is much less easy to compress than are
    smooth transitions and larger areas of color.

    independence.
    -- Charles A. Beard
    Ken Lucke, Feb 9, 2007
  8. "jmc" <> wrote in message

    > Was in Tasmania on vacation; during one evening I tried to take pictures
    > of shearwaters (an ocean bird) coming in to their burrows at night; I
    > couldn't get good pics even at ISO 1600.
    >
    > I then forgot to change the ISO the next day, and all my "wonderful"
    > pictures of Dove Lake and Cradle Mountain on a sunny, warm day are at ISO
    > 1600. They're not totally ruined, but to me just aren't quite right,
    > especially compared to other pics I took.

    At least they should not suffer from camera shake! I bet you have got some
    impressively fast shutter speeds at that sort of ISO.

    cheers adrian www.boliston.co.uk
    Adrian Boliston, Feb 9, 2007
  9. jmc

    jmc Guest

    Suddenly, without warning, Adrian Boliston exclaimed (10-Feb-07 3:31 AM):
    > "jmc" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> Was in Tasmania on vacation; during one evening I tried to take pictures
    >> of shearwaters (an ocean bird) coming in to their burrows at night; I
    >> couldn't get good pics even at ISO 1600.
    >>
    >> I then forgot to change the ISO the next day, and all my "wonderful"
    >> pictures of Dove Lake and Cradle Mountain on a sunny, warm day are at ISO
    >> 1600. They're not totally ruined, but to me just aren't quite right,
    >> especially compared to other pics I took.

    > At least they should not suffer from camera shake! I bet you have got some
    > impressively fast shutter speeds at that sort of ISO.
    >
    > cheers adrian www.boliston.co.uk

    Ah, an optimist! Yea, is 1/4000 fast enough to reduce shake, do you
    think? :)

    jmc
    jmc, Feb 10, 2007
  10. jmc

    jmc Guest

    Suddenly, without warning, Marvin exclaimed (10-Feb-07 2:37 AM):
    > jmc wrote:
    >> Was in Tasmania on vacation; during one evening I tried to take
    >> pictures of shearwaters (an ocean bird) coming in to their burrows at
    >> night; I couldn't get good pics even at ISO 1600.
    >>
    >> I then forgot to change the ISO the next day, and all my "wonderful"
    >> pictures of Dove Lake and Cradle Mountain on a sunny, warm day are at
    >> ISO 1600. They're not totally ruined, but to me just aren't quite
    >> right, especially compared to other pics I took. I've tried using
    >> ThumbsPlus' noise filters, but they aren't working for this.
    >>
    >> What technique or app can I use to try to correct this blunder?
    >>
    >> jmc

    > Perhaps you can post one somewhere, and I'll see what I can do with
    > Paint Shop Pro. If you can't post it, send me one as an e-mail attachment.

    Full-sized image at http://jodi.ws/cradlemtn.htm. It'll take a bit to
    load, it's from a 10MP camera. You can really see the noise in the lake.

    Tried Noise Ninja, but I've not played with it before, and all the
    results I got were unacceptable. This may be a lost cause, since
    there's lots of detail in the mountain's rocks that might just be
    unrecoverable due to the noise. Have at it though, I'd like to see if
    there's any hope.

    jmc
    jmc, Feb 10, 2007
  11. jmc

    jmc Guest

    Suddenly, without warning, Ken Lucke exclaimed (10-Feb-07 3:09 AM):
    > In article <090220070904253471%>, Ken Lucke
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> In article <>, jmc
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Was in Tasmania on vacation; during one evening I tried to take pictures
    >>> of shearwaters (an ocean bird) coming in to their burrows at night; I
    >>> couldn't get good pics even at ISO 1600.
    >>>
    >>> I then forgot to change the ISO the next day, and all my "wonderful"
    >>> pictures of Dove Lake and Cradle Mountain on a sunny, warm day are at
    >>> ISO 1600. They're not totally ruined, but to me just aren't quite
    >>> right, especially compared to other pics I took. I've tried using
    >>> ThumbsPlus' noise filters, but they aren't working for this.
    >>>
    >>> What technique or app can I use to try to correct this blunder?
    >>>
    >>> jmc

    >> Nothing is perfect - with noise filters you trade reduction of noise
    >> for some loss of sharpness and detail, by the very nature of how it
    >> works, unless you are _very_ good at masking prior to noise reduction.
    >> I've always found Noise Ninja to be better than anything else I've
    >> tried, but YMMV.

    > Oooops, my brain fart - I _meant_ to say Noiseware Professional, not
    > Noise Ninja... I had just read someone else's response at the time that
    > mentioned NN, and wasn't paying attention to what I typed.
    >
    > Here's a before and after of the exact thing you are talking about...
    >
    > Before (2.5mb):
    > <http://www.nwconcessions.com/heceta/DPP_0223_before.jpg>
    >
    > After (1.4mb):
    > <http://www.nwconcessions.com/heceta/DPP_0223_after.jpg>

    Thanks for that. Your 'after' is certainly useable, so maybe there's hope.

    jmc
    jmc, Feb 10, 2007
  12. On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 20:46:46 +0930, in rec.photo.digital jmc
    <> wrote:

    >Full-sized image at http://jodi.ws/cradlemtn.htm. It'll take a bit to
    >load, it's from a 10MP camera. You can really see the noise in the lake.

    Was this shot as jpg or raw? If raw it's best you start out from that.

    >Tried Noise Ninja, but I've not played with it before, and all the
    >results I got were unacceptable. This may be a lost cause, since
    >there's lots of detail in the mountain's rocks that might just be
    >unrecoverable due to the noise. Have at it though, I'd like to see if
    >there's any hope.

    Given the wide range of detail and color in major sections of this
    composition you are going to need to attack this image selectively if you
    want to do it properly, which at least for NI which I use requires the use
    of the plugin. Never going to be comparable to an iso100 shot though.

    --
    Ed Ruf ()
    Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!), Feb 10, 2007
  13. jmc

    jmc Guest

    Suddenly, without warning, Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!) exclaimed
    (10-Feb-07 9:09 PM):
    > On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 20:46:46 +0930, in rec.photo.digital jmc
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Full-sized image at http://jodi.ws/cradlemtn.htm. It'll take a bit to
    >> load, it's from a 10MP camera. You can really see the noise in the lake.

    > Was this shot as jpg or raw? If raw it's best you start out from that.
    >
    >> Tried Noise Ninja, but I've not played with it before, and all the
    >> results I got were unacceptable. This may be a lost cause, since
    >> there's lots of detail in the mountain's rocks that might just be
    >> unrecoverable due to the noise. Have at it though, I'd like to see if
    >> there's any hope.

    > Given the wide range of detail and color in major sections of this
    > composition you are going to need to attack this image selectively if you
    > want to do it properly, which at least for NI which I use requires the use
    > of the plugin. Never going to be comparable to an iso100 shot though.

    It was shot as jpg. Wanted to use RAW but didn't have a big enough CF
    card... I took 1220 pictures in 12 days :)

    Ah, well. I got plenty of nice photos of other locations, but I was
    really hoping for something from this walk. Dove Lake and Cradle
    Mountain are so *easy* to get good pictures at, especially on such a
    nice day. Unless some idiot doesn't check their camera's setting before
    clicking away :(

    jmc
    jmc, Feb 10, 2007
  14. jmc

    Rudy Benner Guest

    "jmc" <> wrote in message
    > Suddenly, without warning, Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!) exclaimed
    > (10-Feb-07 9:09 PM):
    >> On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 20:46:46 +0930, in rec.photo.digital jmc
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Full-sized image at http://jodi.ws/cradlemtn.htm. It'll take a bit to
    >>> load, it's from a 10MP camera. You can really see the noise in the
    >>> lake.

    >> Was this shot as jpg or raw? If raw it's best you start out from that.
    >>
    >>> Tried Noise Ninja, but I've not played with it before, and all the
    >>> results I got were unacceptable. This may be a lost cause, since
    >>> there's lots of detail in the mountain's rocks that might just be
    >>> unrecoverable due to the noise. Have at it though, I'd like to see if
    >>> there's any hope.

    >> Given the wide range of detail and color in major sections of this
    >> composition you are going to need to attack this image selectively if you
    >> want to do it properly, which at least for NI which I use requires the
    >> use
    >> of the plugin. Never going to be comparable to an iso100 shot though.
    >>

    > It was shot as jpg. Wanted to use RAW but didn't have a big enough CF
    > card... I took 1220 pictures in 12 days :)
    >
    > Ah, well. I got plenty of nice photos of other locations, but I was
    > really hoping for something from this walk. Dove Lake and Cradle Mountain
    > are so *easy* to get good pictures at, especially on such a nice day.
    > Unless some idiot doesn't check their camera's setting before clicking
    > away :(
    >
    > jmc

    Something like this (PHR-250 OTG) might have helped. Mine has a 60 gig drive
    installed, I could get perhaps 10,000 raw files on it. Built in battery.
    Just remember to bring a USB cable. The HDD costs more than the enclosure
    unless you happen to have one lying around. No reason to NOT shoot raw if
    you have lots of storage.

    I used Neatimage on it and nothing outstanding came as a result of the
    effort.

    Sigh, shit happens.
    Rudy Benner, Feb 10, 2007
  15. jmc

    Ken Lucke Guest

    In article <>, jmc
    <> wrote:

    > Suddenly, without warning, Ken Lucke exclaimed (10-Feb-07 3:09 AM):
    > > In article <090220070904253471%>, Ken Lucke
    > > <> wrote:

    > >> Nothing is perfect - with noise filters you trade reduction of noise
    > >> for some loss of sharpness and detail, by the very nature of how it
    > >> works, unless you are _very_ good at masking prior to noise reduction.
    > >> I've always found Noise Ninja to be better than anything else I've
    > >> tried, but YMMV.

    > > Oooops, my brain fart - I _meant_ to say Noiseware Professional, not
    > > Noise Ninja... I had just read someone else's response at the time that
    > > mentioned NN, and wasn't paying attention to what I typed.
    > >
    > > Here's a before and after of the exact thing you are talking about...
    > >
    > > Before (2.5mb):
    > > <http://www.nwconcessions.com/heceta/DPP_0223_before.jpg>
    > >
    > > After (1.4mb):
    > > <http://www.nwconcessions.com/heceta/DPP_0223_after.jpg>
    > >

    > Thanks for that. Your 'after' is certainly useable, so maybe there's hope.

    Forgot to say, that was with the simple "default" setting in Noiseware
    Pro, so there's lots of play room for tweaking.

    independence.
    -- Charles A. Beard
    Ken Lucke, Feb 10, 2007
  16. jmc

    Ken Lucke Guest

    In article <>, jmc
    <> wrote:

    > Suddenly, without warning, Marvin exclaimed (10-Feb-07 2:37 AM):
    > > jmc wrote:
    > >> Was in Tasmania on vacation; during one evening I tried to take
    > >> pictures of shearwaters (an ocean bird) coming in to their burrows at
    > >> night; I couldn't get good pics even at ISO 1600.
    > >>
    > >> I then forgot to change the ISO the next day, and all my "wonderful"
    > >> pictures of Dove Lake and Cradle Mountain on a sunny, warm day are at
    > >> ISO 1600. They're not totally ruined, but to me just aren't quite
    > >> right, especially compared to other pics I took. I've tried using
    > >> ThumbsPlus' noise filters, but they aren't working for this.
    > >>
    > >> What technique or app can I use to try to correct this blunder?
    > >>
    > >> jmc

    > > Perhaps you can post one somewhere, and I'll see what I can do with
    > > Paint Shop Pro. If you can't post it, send me one as an e-mail attachment.

    > Full-sized image at http://jodi.ws/cradlemtn.htm. It'll take a bit to
    > load, it's from a 10MP camera. You can really see the noise in the lake.
    >
    > Tried Noise Ninja, but I've not played with it before, and all the
    > results I got were unacceptable. This may be a lost cause, since
    > there's lots of detail in the mountain's rocks that might just be
    > unrecoverable due to the noise. Have at it though, I'd like to see if
    > there's any hope.

    Here's a quick & dirty fix with Noiseware Pro - not that I didn't spend
    more than 3 minutes at this, so no fancy masks or anything other than
    just selecting the water and the sky, feathering out the selection, and
    applying the default NP filter to those areas. I wouldn't try the
    trees/mountains without a whole lot of effert, as there's lots of
    detail in them that could be lost - it might be better leaving those
    areas as-is.

    Anyway, this is just to give you an idea of what you might be able to
    achieve.

    <http://www.nwconcessions.com/fixed/cradlemtn_after.jpg>

    independence.
    -- Charles A. Beard
    Ken Lucke, Feb 10, 2007
  17. In article <100220070823360874%>, Ken Lucke
    <> wrote:

    > In article <>, jmc
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > > Suddenly, without warning, Ken Lucke exclaimed (10-Feb-07 3:09 AM):

    > > > Oooops, my brain fart - I _meant_ to say Noiseware Professional, not
    > > > Noise Ninja... I had just read someone else's response at the time that
    > > > mentioned NN, and wasn't paying attention to what I typed.
    > > >
    > > > Here's a before and after of the exact thing you are talking about...
    > > >
    > > > Before (2.5mb):
    > > > <http://www.nwconcessions.com/heceta/DPP_0223_before.jpg>
    > > >
    > > > After (1.4mb):
    > > > <http://www.nwconcessions.com/heceta/DPP_0223_after.jpg>
    > > >

    > > Thanks for that. Your 'after' is certainly useable, so maybe there's hope.
    > >

    > Forgot to say, that was with the simple "default" setting in Noiseware
    > Pro, so there's lots of play room for tweaking.

    One nice thing about Noise Ninja is that you can calibrate it to YOUR
    camera's specific ISO noise at 1600. Not sure if the NWP offers that.
    Steve Cutchen, Feb 10, 2007
  18. jmc

    Ken Lucke Guest

    In article <100220071146126260%>, Steve Cutchen
    <> wrote:

    > In article <100220070823360874%>, Ken Lucke
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > > In article <>, jmc
    > > <> wrote:
    > >
    > > > Suddenly, without warning, Ken Lucke exclaimed (10-Feb-07 3:09 AM):

    > > > Thanks for that. Your 'after' is certainly useable, so maybe there's
    > > > hope.
    > > >

    > > Forgot to say, that was with the simple "default" setting in Noiseware
    > > Pro, so there's lots of play room for tweaking.

    > One nice thing about Noise Ninja is that you can calibrate it to YOUR
    > camera's specific ISO noise at 1600. Not sure if the NWP offers that.

    Oh, yes, as well as genertaing standard profiles, etc.

    independence.
    -- Charles A. Beard
    Ken Lucke, Feb 10, 2007