    I'm really unhappy with the product.

    I'm hesitant to even ask, but is support better for Vista 64?

    It just irks me that I have to run 32 bit windows on a 64 bit capable machine.
    Bull, Feb 14, 2008

  2. What's wrong with running 32bit software? Does it matter what the processor
    is? If you are expecting software vendors to make 64bit versions of their
    software just to have it when their present software runs just fine, think
    again.

    Considering your concerns, I suggest that you buy a system builder copy of
    Vista x86 and just install fresh.

    Colin Barnhorst, Feb 14, 2008

  3. Bull wrote:

    >I've given up. I had to hunt down an unsupported driver for my Linksys
    >Wireless USB adapter.

    Hardware support from vendors for XP x64 was patchy at best. Things should
    be improving with Vista 64.

    >Now I can't install Norton 360 because they don't
    >support WindowsXP64.

    Score one for XP x64 (IMHO)! Norton is one of the biggest POS on the
    planet. I wouldn't allow it anywhere near any machine I'm vaguely
    responsible for.

    There are much better alternatives available that do support Windows x64
    (Avast, AVG, for a couple of quick examples).

    >I had wanted the ability to run 64 bit programs on this
    >PC, but that hasn't materialized and a lot of software like above seems to
    >not work.

    Most 32-bit applications will run just fine on Windows x64. It's primarily
    hardware drivers, and applications that hook into the OS in some way (like
    antivirus programs) that have to be 64-bit to work on Windows x64.

    >I got the OS with the PC. Am I really going to have to shell out more $$$
    >Microsoft so that I can throw away this boat anchor that no one supports
    >and
    >get something that works?

    Unfortunately, if you want a 32-bit Windows OS, then yes, you'll have to
    splash the cash.

    >I'm hesitant to even ask, but is support better for Vista 64?

    It's better than XP x64, but not as good as for 32-bit Windows (XP or
    Vista) yet. But it is improving, as x64 becomes more "mainstream".

    >It just irks me that I have to run 32 bit windows on a 64 bit capable
    >machine.

    I know exactly what you mean, and I have been running Windows x64 for
    probably 3.5 years now. I'm fortunate in that I've been reasonably lucky
    with the hardware choices I've made, with the notable exception of having
    managed to buy one of the few Epson Stylus Photo printers that is _not_
    supported in Windows x64 (so I print from a virtual XP32 machine <g>).

    --
    Steve Foster [SBS MVP]
    Steve Foster [SBS MVP], Feb 15, 2008