    not.

    Can I just empty and then save that file? Or delete it completely in
    expectation it will be recreated?

    OOHRAH!@USMC.net, Dec 31, 2003

  2. OOHRAH!@USMC.net

    ICee Guest

    OOHRAH!@USMC.net wrote:
    > P3
    > W XP Home
    > OE 6x
    >
    > I can't get click-throughs from some sites, and tech support suggests
    > adding # to some of the lines in the hosts.svr file on my computer.
    > Well, there are hundreds of lines there, and I can't tell which are a
    > problem and which are not.
    >
    > Can I just empty and then save that file? Or delete it completely in
    > expectation it will be recreated?

    It's not recreated when deleted (just tried). You can open it with
    notepad and delete entries. Just leave 127.0.0.1 localhost.

    ICee, Dec 31, 2003

  3. "ICee" <> wrote in message
    > OOHRAH!@USMC.net wrote:
    > > P3
    > > W XP Home
    > > OE 6x
    > >
    > > I can't get click-throughs from some sites, and tech support suggests
    > > adding # to some of the lines in the hosts.svr file on my computer.
    > > Well, there are hundreds of lines there, and I can't tell which are a
    > > problem and which are not.
    > >
    > > Can I just empty and then save that file? Or delete it completely in
    > > expectation it will be recreated?

    > It's not recreated when deleted (just tried). You can open it with
    > notepad and delete entries. Just leave 127.0.0.1 localhost.

    Thanks! However, there are hundreds of entries, and I don't know what to
    delete and what to leave. If I shouldn't delete the file itself, I'd like to
    delete everything in the file --- if the computer will eventually rebuild
    what's important.

    OOHRAH!@USMC.net, Dec 31, 2003
  4. OOHRAH!@USMC.net

    ICee Guest

    OOHRAH!@USMC.net wrote:
    > "ICee" <> wrote in message
    >> OOHRAH!@USMC.net wrote:
    >>> P3
    >>> W XP Home
    >>> OE 6x
    >>>
    >>> I can't get click-throughs from some sites, and tech support
    >>> suggests adding # to some of the lines in the hosts.svr file on my
    >>> computer. Well, there are hundreds of lines there, and I can't tell
    >>> which are a problem and which are not.
    >>>
    >>> Can I just empty and then save that file? Or delete it completely in
    >>> expectation it will be recreated?

    >> It's not recreated when deleted (just tried). You can open it with
    >> notepad and delete entries. Just leave 127.0.0.1 localhost.

    > Thanks! However, there are hundreds of entries, and I don't know what
    > to delete and what to leave. If I shouldn't delete the file itself,
    > I'd like to delete everything in the file --- if the computer will
    > eventually rebuild what's important.

    Just right click on the file, Open, Select program from List, OK, select
    Notepad, OK, Edit, Select all, right click, Delete. Then type in
    127.0.0.1, (seven spaces), localhost

    Close the file and you're done. This is all I have in my Hosts file (XP
    Home also).

    ICee, Dec 31, 2003
  5. OOHRAH!@USMC.net

    Brian H¹© Guest

    OOHRAH!@USMC.net said:

    > "ICee" <> wrote in message
    >> OOHRAH!@USMC.net wrote:
    >>> P3
    >>> W XP Home
    >>> OE 6x
    >>>
    >>> I can't get click-throughs from some sites, and tech support suggests
    >>> adding # to some of the lines in the hosts.svr file on my computer.
    >>> Well, there are hundreds of lines there, and I can't tell which are a
    >>> problem and which are not.
    >>>
    >>> Can I just empty and then save that file? Or delete it completely in
    >>> expectation it will be recreated?

    >> It's not recreated when deleted (just tried). You can open it with
    >> notepad and delete entries. Just leave 127.0.0.1 localhost.

    > Thanks! However, there are hundreds of entries, and I don't know what to
    > delete and what to leave. If I shouldn't delete the file itself, I'd like to
    > delete everything in the file --- if the computer will eventually rebuild
    > what's important.

    Just rename the file and you will soon see if a new empty version gets created.
    I doubt it very much, as a hosts file is not obligatory.

    Brian H¹©, Dec 31, 2003
  6. OOHRAH!@USMC.net

    ICee Guest

    Brian H¹© wrote:
    > OOHRAH!@USMC.net said:
    >
    >> "ICee" <> wrote in message

    >>> It's not recreated when deleted (just tried). You can open it with
    >>> notepad and delete entries. Just leave 127.0.0.1 localhost.

    >> Thanks! However, there are hundreds of entries, and I don't know
    >> what to delete and what to leave. If I shouldn't delete the file
    >> itself, I'd like to delete everything in the file --- if the
    >> computer will eventually rebuild what's important.

    > Just rename the file and you will soon see if a new empty version
    > gets created. I doubt it very much, as a hosts file is not obligatory.

    Thanks, Brian. I wasn't sure if it was needed at all. Never had a use
    for it.

    ICee, Dec 31, 2003
  7. OOHRAH!@USMC.net

    Brian H¹© Guest

    ICee said:

    > Brian H¹© wrote:
    >> OOHRAH!@USMC.net said:
    >>
    >>> "ICee" <> wrote in message

    >>> Thanks! However, there are hundreds of entries, and I don't know
    >>> what to delete and what to leave. If I shouldn't delete the file
    >>> itself, I'd like to delete everything in the file --- if the
    >>> computer will eventually rebuild what's important.

    >> Just rename the file and you will soon see if a new empty version
    >> gets created. I doubt it very much, as a hosts file is not obligatory.

    > Thanks, Brian. I wasn't sure if it was needed at all. Never had a use
    > for it.

    No problem.
    Without the hosts file, you will lose the block to certain sites/ads

    Brian H¹©, Dec 31, 2003
  8. Howdy!

    "OOHRAH!@USMC.net" <OOORAH!@USMC.net> wrote in message
    > P3
    > W XP Home
    > OE 6x
    >
    > I can't get click-throughs from some sites, and tech support suggests

    adding
    > # to some of the lines in the hosts.svr file on my computer. Well, there

    are
    > hundreds of lines there, and I can't tell which are a problem and which

    are
    > not.
    >
    > Can I just empty and then save that file? Or delete it completely in
    > expectation it will be recreated?

    I'd rename it, and leave it.

    HOWEVER - Windows doesn't normally use a hosts.svr file .. it uses a
    hosts. (no extension!) file in either %WINDIR% for 9X OSes, or
    %WINDIR%\System32\Drivers\Etc for WinNT class OSes ...

    RwP

    Ralph Wade Phillips, Jan 1, 2004
  9. OOHRAH!@USMC.net

    Mara Guest

    On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 21:17:59 -0600, Ralph Wade Phillips wrote:

    >Howdy!
    >
    >"OOHRAH!@USMC.net" <OOORAH!@USMC.net> wrote in message
    >> P3
    >> W XP Home
    >> OE 6x
    >>
    >> I can't get click-throughs from some sites, and tech support suggests

    >adding
    >> # to some of the lines in the hosts.svr file on my computer. Well, there

    >are
    >> hundreds of lines there, and I can't tell which are a problem and which

    >are
    >> not.
    >>
    >> Can I just empty and then save that file? Or delete it completely in
    >> expectation it will be recreated?

    > I'd rename it, and leave it.
    >
    > HOWEVER - Windows doesn't normally use a hosts.svr file .. it uses a
    >hosts. (no extension!) file in either %WINDIR% for 9X OSes, or
    >%WINDIR%\System32\Drivers\Etc for WinNT class OSes ...

    No, Windows doesn't - but several pieces of malware, like Qhost among others,
    do.

    "I'd be scanning the box with more than one scanner, ASAP. Never hurts to be
    cautious."

    --
    The major difference about 'targeted marketing' on the Internet is the
    targets can and will shoot back. -- Gym "Often with heavier weapons." Quirk

    Mara, Jan 1, 2004