  1. Well...the topic pretty much sums my wish.^^ There is a clickable link
    above my posts "more options" ("Weitere optionen" in german) but it
    doesn't seem to work.
    MarcusVonSinope, Mar 12, 2007

  2. MarcusVonSinope

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2007-03-12, MarcusVonSinope <> wrote:
    > Well...the topic pretty much sums my wish.^^ There is a clickable link
    > above my posts "more options" ("Weitere optionen" in german) but it
    > doesn't seem to work.

    Making a wild guess here: are you talking about the Google Groups web
    interface?

    Anyway, to answer the question in the Subject header: no you can't edit
    your articles after you've posted them.

    I think that some of the features of the Google Groups web interface only
    work if you have 'javascript' enabled in your web browser.

    Newcomers to newsgroups should start here

    <http://computer.howstuffworks.com/newsgroup.htm>

    and here

    <http://members.fortunecity.com/nnqweb/>, the Official Home Page of the
    newsgroup called news.newusers.questions.

    Google Groups is not usenet. Google Groups is a combination of

    1) A searchable archive of most of the articles posted into most
    usenet newsgroups in the last 20 years or so, purchased by Google
    from 'DejaNews' who started it.

    2) A badly designed web forum interface to allow reading and posting
    in those newsgroups.

    3) Google's own proprietary web forums, which are not part of usenet.
    For reasons of their own, Google do not make the distinction
    between their own web forums and the real newsgroups very clear.

    1) is a useful service. 2) and 3) are means of getting people to look at
    and occasionally click on the advertisements that Google display, and
    which earn them their money.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Mar 12, 2007

  3. MarcusVonSinope

    Mike Easter Guest

    MarcusVonSinope wrote:
    Subject: Can i edit my posts?

    > Well...the topic pretty much sums my wish.^^

    Picture where you are and what you are doing and who you are talking to
    and what you are asking them and how you expect them to answer you.

    Presumably you are sitting at your chair in some country connected to
    the internet in some fashion using some kind of computer with some kind
    of operating system and some kind of software running on it and you are
    typing your words onto your keyboard and they are appearing to your eyes
    on your computer screen and they are going to be 'broadcast' to others.

    The others to whom they are broadcast are not sitting in your chair in
    your country looking at your screen on your computer using your
    operating system or your interface with what you are seeing or
    describing.

    While some parts of that equation don't matter very much, such as what
    kind of chair or screen or computer or which country, sometimes it
    matters what operating system and what software or what user interface
    you are experiencing.

    > There is a clickable link
    > above my posts "more options" ("Weitere optionen" in german) but it
    > doesn't seem to work.

    So, now you give us a little bit of information about your personal
    'experience' while you are typing to us, and ask a question in the
    /subject/ of your message about that experience you are having.

    That means that anyone who wants to answer your question has to
    'recreate' your experience in hir mind. It doesn't really matter that
    your country is Germany or that your connectivity is Deutsch Telecom or
    that your operating system is Windows or that your browser's basis is
    Mozilla/Gecko.

    All that really matters is that your interface in your browser is
    googlegroups GG -- but you must realize that the majority of people who
    are reading your question are not reading it in GG, so they are not
    seeing what you are seeing or thinking what you are thinking or
    wondering what you are wondering. So, if you are going to ask
    'everyone' here a question, you should try to see the question from
    their perspective, and of course you should mention something about
    using GG, so that the reader doesn't have to do minor 'sleuthing' to
    figure out where you are coming from.

    "What in the hell is he talking about?"

    When you are typing in a reply to a news message as you were doing when
    you asked the question in the subject, GG does not provide you with the
    'More Options' function. More options is a function which is used when
    reading messages in GG.

    When you read messages in GG, one configuration is to see the messages
    collapsed. Another config is to see the messages expanded. When
    expanded, the 'header' shows only the author/From and the date/time and
    'more options' function. When more options is activated, more elements
    of the header appear. newsgroups, From address GG munged, Date expressed
    in two different lines, with UTC offset and in local, and Subject. In
    addition, more options shows you access to 8 more GG functions,
    including show original.

    If you search GG help on the term 'more options' it will explain to you
    its functions in 16 different help answers.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Mar 12, 2007
  4. MarcusVonSinope