    WINXP on a separate 160Gg disk on the same machine and be able to dual boot
    between the two to test test old hardware.

    Is this possible

    Artreid, Aug 22, 2010

  2. Artreid wrote:
    > Windows 7 was installed first on a 500Gg disk. I would now like to
    > install WINXP on a separate 160Gg disk on the same machine and be
    > able to dual boot between the two to test test old hardware.
    >
    > Is this possible

    Yes.

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    Shenan Stanley, Aug 22, 2010

  3. Artreid

    Carlos Guest

    Artreid,
    The short answer is Yes, you can.
    After you have installed Windows XP, it will have destroyed Windows 7
    bootloader.
    You have two options after that:
    1.- Install EasyBCD (Neosmart Technologies, freeware) and repair Windows 7
    boot sector and add the two OSs entries to the boot menu.
    or
    2.- Boot from the Windows 7 DVD and choose the repair option.
    That will restore Windows 7 back to normal.
    Carlos

    Carlos, Aug 22, 2010
  4. Agreed. With a strong preference for Option #1, EasyBCD.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 23, 2010
  5. Artreid

    Carlos Guest

    Charlie,
    I also forgot to mention that EasyBCD 2.0.2 was released as an update a
    couple of weeks back.
    http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1
    This version is extremely intelligent when rebuilding the boot entries
    (i.e., different operationg systems). I figures out almost everything by
    itself (OS location, etc.).
    Carlos

    Carlos, Aug 23, 2010
  6. Artreid

    Artreid Guest

    Okay,

    My setup is as follows:
    Two (2) dives in machine partitioned as follows:
    470Gg C:drive - Win7 X64
    30Gg D:drive - Win7 X64 Restore partition
    150Gg E:drive - Win7 X64
    10Gg F:drive - Win7 X64 Restore partition

    I would like to install XP on the 150Gg E:drive as I no longer need 2
    iterations of Win7.

    For some reason I can't install WinXP?
    When I boot machine with WinXP Install CD several programs load.
    I get a msg. Starting windows install then a blue screen.

    Artreid, Aug 23, 2010
  7. Artreid

    Carlos Guest

    Artreid,
    What does the blue screen says?
    Take also into account that if your drives are the SATA type, you will need
    SATA XP drivers available in a pen drive during the installation.
    Carlos

    Carlos, Aug 23, 2010
  8. Yes, I saw that the upgrade was out. Already grabbed and installed. This new
    version is quite nice. And sure beats the command line!

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/Russel

    Charlie Russel-MVP, Aug 23, 2010
  9. Artreid

    Mike Guest

    Or how about a possible change, install BCD on Windows 7.
    Next remove the power to this drive.

    Zap the other drive and install XP and BCD just in case its needed

    Reconnect the windows 7 drive and configure BCD to access both drives
    and present a choice on start up?

    Not used dual boot this way for some time but seem to remember it worked
    for me.

    Mike

    Mike, Aug 23, 2010
  10. XP will only accept drivers on a floppy disk. A USB floppy will do if no
    floppy drive is fitted.

    The alternative is to slipstream the required drivers into the XP
    installation disk with nlite http://www.nliteos.com/.

    Dominic Payer, Aug 23, 2010
  11. If I remember correctly the pen drive option didn't exist before Vista.
    I think with XP you must still use a floppy drive. In some case an
    external USB floppy can be used but it depends on the hardware.

    Bobby Johnson, Aug 23, 2010
  12. Artreid

    Carlos Guest

    Artreid,
    Forget the pen drive option, as Dominic and Bobby have reminded me, floppy
    disk is your only choice.
    :)
    Carlos

    Carlos, Aug 23, 2010
  13. Artreid

    Carlos Guest

    Mike,
    That might also work, but what about the blue screen you mentioned?
    Carlos
    P.S.: Don't forget the SATA drivers on floppy!

    Carlos, Aug 23, 2010
  14. Artreid

    Artreid Guest

    OMG,
    I had no idea this was going to be this complicated. I do have SATA drives
    so I will get this BCD program and give that a try and get back to you guys
    in a few days, if I still have a bootable computer.

    The Blue Screen reads: Abrev.
    Problem detected windows shutdown to prevent damage to your computer.

    - Check for virus
    - Remove ant newly installed hardware or drive controllers
    - Chk HDD to ensure proper configuration and termination
    - Run Chkdsk/F for HDD corruption

    __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 5391 (20100823) __________

    http://www.eset.com

    Artreid, Aug 24, 2010
  15. Artreid

    Fred Guest

    Yes it is possible, you have to creat 2 partition and at this point you'll
    be able to install 2 different OS.

    discussion : ...

    Fred, Aug 25, 2010
  16. Artreid

    Artreid Guest

    Fred,
    This is madding stuff..
    I started with a 150Gg drive Win7 64Bit. I installed a 2nd 500Gg drive and
    cloned it from the 150Gg.

    With the two drives installed:
    (470Gg w/ 30Gg Partition
    140Gg) w/ 10Gg Partition

    When I boot the 140Gg I can see in Win7
    - 140Gg C:
    - 10Gg D:
    - 470Gg E:
    - 30Gg F:

    When I boot the 480Gg drive I can see in Win7:
    - 470Gg C:
    - 30Gg D:
    - No E: and F:

    When I remove the 470Gg drive and try to install WinXP on the 140Gg drive.
    After all the windows XP files are loaded into memory I get a Blue Screen
    which effectively stops my computer , 'To prevent severe Damage...'

    It seems no matter what I try I cannot install WinXP on the smaller 140Gg
    drive (even with the 470Gg drive removed from the computer)?

    __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 5403 (20100827) __________

    http://www.eset.com

    Artreid, Aug 27, 2010
  17. Artreid