    computer to configure a wireless connection so i can use the built in
    wireless thingy in the laptop to connect to the internet using only a router
    and modem.
    =?Utf-8?B?TGlxdWlkIFR3aW5raWU=?=, Apr 6, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?TGlxdWlkIFR3aW5raWU=?=

    Lem Guest

    Liquid Twinkie wrote:

    > I am about to buy a new laptop, and i want to know if i need a desktop
    > computer to configure a wireless connection so i can use the built in
    > wireless thingy in the laptop to connect to the internet using only a router
    > and modem.

    No.

    But (a) make sure that your new laptop has a network thingy (most do, these
    days) so that you can configure the router over a wired connection, and (b) if
    you really intend to use a modem -- as in a dial-up connection -- you may have
    difficulty finding a wireless router that will work with it. See
    http://www.ezlan.net/DialUp.html Option 2.
    Lem, Apr 6, 2006

  3. On Thu, 6 Apr 2006 14:39:02 -0700, Liquid Twinkie <Liquid
    > wrote:

    >I am about to buy a new laptop, and i want to know if i need a desktop
    >computer to configure a wireless connection so i can use the built in
    >wireless thingy in the laptop to connect to the internet using only a router
    >and modem.

    I don't think there are any WiFi routers that plug directly into a
    dialup modem. Some broadband plans are pretty cheap these days. Some
    cheap dialup plans will not work when dialed by a router.

    Think more about getting an old router that can dial an external
    modem. Then add those to a WiFi AP. You need your ISP to allow a
    connection from you even if you are not using their proprietary
    software for this to work

    I'd recommend not only making sure your laptop has a WiFi card but
    also a wired Ethernet connection. You will find you need the wired
    Ethernet to reach & configure the WiFi AP & router from time to time.

    It's a bit easier if you have a desktop for the dialup and perhaps
    even also the routing & firewall. If that's the case, though, that
    you have or are wiling to buy a spare desktop just for Internet
    connectivity I'd reexamine the economics of keeping dialup (IMHO). In
    fairness, though, it doesn't sound like that's what you mean.
    Curious George, Apr 7, 2006
  4. =?Utf-8?B?TGlxdWlkIFR3aW5raWU=?= <Liquid

    > I am about to buy a new laptop, and i want to know if i need a desktop
    > computer to configure a wireless connection so i can use the built in
    > wireless thingy in the laptop to connect to the internet using only a
    > router and modem.

    When you say a router and modem do you mean you have a DSL or cable modem
    and a router that acts as a wireless access point?

    If that is the case, then no you do not need a desktop computer. Just set
    up the DSL or cable modem and then connect it to the public interface of
    the router.

    Next. configure either WPA or WEP on the router by plugging the computer
    into the router with an Ethernet cable.(Most residential-market routers
    these days are wired AND wireless, hopefully yours is.) Use the router's
    web-based interface to configure it.

    Next configure the wireless network on the laptop. You will need to enter
    the same preshared key on the laptop that you entered in the router's WPA
    or WEP properties.

    At that point you should be able to connect with no problems. The wireless
    router will act as a DHCP server to assign an IP address to your laptop,
    unless you decide you want a static IP address. If that is the case,
    disable DHCP on the router OR set up your laptop IP as a reservation, or
    exclude some IP addresses, including the one you want to use for your
    laptop, from the IP address pool in DHCP.

    For more info see "Step-by-Step Guide for Secure Wireless Deployment for
    Small Office/Home Office or Small Organization Networks" at
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=269902e8-fc41-
    4eb1-9374-44612e64f0fb&displaylang=en

    --
    James McIllece, Microsoft

    Please do not send email directly to this alias. This is my online account
    name for newsgroup participation only.

    James McIllece [MS], Apr 7, 2006