    --
    To reply, take NOSPAM out of my email address.
    , Aug 27, 2003

  2. David Guest

    What OS are you running?

    Windows XP has internet connection sharing build in, there are various third
    party add ons for other Windows versions.

    I'm sure the penguin fuckers have some solution as well.

    David, Aug 27, 2003

  3. ~misfit~ Guest

    "David" <> wrote in message
    > What OS are you running?
    >
    > Windows XP has internet connection sharing build in, there are various

    third
    > party add ons for other Windows versions.
    >
    > I'm sure the penguin fuckers have some solution as well.

    LOL.

    I use XP and share my high-speed 56k modem between four computers on my home
    LAN using the built-in ICS (and firewall) through a Dick Smith Ethernet
    switch..
    --
    ~misfit~

    ---
    ~misfit~, Aug 27, 2003
  4. Guest

    Hi

    Thanks for the reply. Yes I know I can use ICS but I want to enable
    any PC on my network to connect to the modem with out having my main
    PC up all the time which the modem is currently connected to. Hence
    the question in using a standalone router. I'm using on the network a
    mixture of windows 2000/98 SE/95.

    Thanks

  5. ~misfit~ Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > Thanks for the reply. Yes I know I can use ICS but I want to enable
    > any PC on my network to connect to the modem with out having my main
    > PC up all the time which the modem is currently connected to. Hence
    > the question in using a standalone router. I'm using on the network a
    > mixture of windows 2000/98 SE/95.
    >
    > Thanks

    Oh, OK, I get it now. I don't know if that's possible or not. I'd think not.

    I have a Celeron 400 set up to do that, just with a 2GB HDD. It's not even
    in a case. ;-)
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Aug 27, 2003
  6. Enkidu Guest

    On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 20:24:47 +1200, wrote:

    >Hi all
    >
    >I want to be able to share a modem over a small network. I don't have
    >ADSL (e.g. Jetstream) but I was wondering if it is possible for me to
    >but an ADSL Router that has a serial port, and then connect my 56k
    >external modem to this port. So instead of using the router to connect
    >to Jetstream I will be connecting to the 56k modem and then my
    >telephone line.

    An ADSL router won't do it. The outside interface cannot connect to a
    modem. I don't know of any device that does this, but there may be
    one. Try looking for SOHO routers on 3COM or DLINK or those sorts of
    sites.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Aug 27, 2003
  7. David Keane Guest

    wrote:

    >Hi
    >
    >Thanks for the reply. Yes I know I can use ICS but I want to enable
    >any PC on my network to connect to the modem with out having my main
    >PC up all the time which the modem is currently connected to. Hence
    >the question in using a standalone router. I'm using on the network a
    >mixture of windows 2000/98 SE/95.
    >
    >Thanks
    >

    >On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 20:24:47 +1200, wrote:
    >

    >>Hi all
    >>
    >>I want to be able to share a modem over a small network. I don't have
    >>ADSL (e.g. Jetstream) but I was wondering if it is possible for me to
    >>but an ADSL Router that has a serial port, and then connect my 56k
    >>external modem to this port. So instead of using the router to connect
    >>to Jetstream I will be connecting to the 56k modem and then my
    >>telephone line.
    >>
    >>Any thoughts?
    >>
    >>Thanks

    I don't see this working unless you only want to connect to one computer
    at any time. I'd go with the "Connect through Proxy on old Box" route. I
    wouldn't suggest ICS for that though. ICS tends to suck.
    David Keane, Aug 27, 2003
  8. David Guest

    > I don't see this working unless you only want to connect to one computer
    > at any time. I'd go with the "Connect through Proxy on old Box" route. I
    > wouldn't suggest ICS for that though. ICS tends to suck.

    No way ICS rocks, you suck
    David, Aug 27, 2003
  9. David Keane Guest

    David wrote:

    >>I don't see this working unless you only want to connect to one computer
    >>at any time. I'd go with the "Connect through Proxy on old Box" route. I
    >>wouldn't suggest ICS for that though. ICS tends to suck.
    >>

    >No way ICS rocks, you suck

    I was leaning more towards the requirement for a network in the 10.0.*.*
    address range to be able to access it makes it suck, not to mention
    Microsoft not telling me the ports for each protocol it supports. Then
    there was the fact that I'd already set up my netowork in the
    192.168.1.* range
    I prefer AnalogX Proxy (http://www.analogx.com)anyway.
    David Keane, Aug 27, 2003
  10. <> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > Thanks for the reply. Yes I know I can use ICS but I want to enable
    > any PC on my network to connect to the modem with out having my main
    > PC up all the time which the modem is currently connected to. Hence
    > the question in using a standalone router. I'm using on the network a
    > mixture of windows 2000/98 SE/95.
    >
    > Thanks

    I havent seen the hardware version on sale for a while now.
    You can use freesco http://sourceforge.net/projects/freesco/ on a junkbox pc
    Its dial on demand and controllable from a browser
    Howard Johnson, Aug 27, 2003
  11. Joe Citizen Guest

    Yes you can do it. BUT you must have an ADSL modem that supports a
    'failover' modem on its serial port, some brands call it a 'fallover' (lol).
    Some models have the dial up 56k modem built in, some have a serial port for
    it.
    Brands such as snapgear support this config, but the serial port (if
    present) on most ADSL modems is for upgrading the firmware.
    I think they're around ??$300?? from memory.

    8)

    Joe Citizen, Aug 27, 2003
  12. Joe Citizen Guest

    Oh, they are distributed by:

    Similkimeen Distributors Ltd
    Unit 7 9-11 Rothwell Ave Albany Auckland
    0-9-414 1828

    p.s: no I don't work there, but I have attended seminars held by their
    manufacturers.

    Cheers.

    Joe Citizen, Aug 27, 2003
  13. N Lawton Guest

    On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 20:58:20 +1200, kirkzeusNOSPA wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > Thanks for the reply. Yes I know I can use ICS but I want to enable any
    > PC on my network to connect to the modem with out having my main PC up
    > all the time which the modem is currently connected to. Hence the
    > question in using a standalone router. I'm using on the network a
    > mixture of windows 2000/98 SE/95.
    >
    > Thanks
    >

    > On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 20:24:47 +1200, wrote:
    >
    >>Hi all
    >>
    >>I want to be able to share a modem over a small network. I don't have
    >>ADSL (e.g. Jetstream) but I was wondering if it is possible for me to
    >>but an ADSL Router that has a serial port, and then connect my 56k
    >>external modem to this port. So instead of using the router to connect
    >>to Jetstream I will be connecting to the 56k modem and then my telephone
    >>line.
    >>
    >>Any thoughts?
    >>
    >>Thanks

    D-Link have a product that they call an internet router (DP-602) that
    plugs into your LAN and to which you can connect either 1 or 2 modems and
    share these.

    Excellent with 2 modems.

    I have a couple of them here which are now surplus to requirements if you
    are interested.
    N Lawton, Aug 27, 2003
  14. David Keane Guest

    only if you're being nice :)

    David Keane, Aug 27, 2003
  15. David Keane Guest

    Nicholas Sherlock wrote:

    > David Keane wrote:
    >
    >>I was leaning more towards the requirement for a network in the
    >>10.0.*.* address range to be able to access it makes it suck

    > Erm.. are you sure? All of my computers are in the 192.168.0.X address
    > space.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Nicholas Sherlock

    meh, that's what support, and a number of tutorials told me.
    David Keane, Aug 28, 2003
  16. N Lawton Guest

    On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 07:21:09 +1200, Nicholas Sherlock wrote:

    > David Keane wrote:
    >> I was leaning more towards the requirement for a network in the
    >> 10.0.*.* address range to be able to access it makes it suck

    > Erm.. are you sure? All of my computers are in the 192.168.0.X address
    > space.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Nicholas Sherlock

    10.0.*.* is in the private class A address range.
    192.168.0.x is in the private class C address range.

    Both ranges are reserved for private use.
    It makes little difference which you use unless you start running out of
    addresses in the class c range.
    Not that likely on a home network.
    That said we always mix it up for example ADSL to Firewall is class C,
    network is Class A.
    N Lawton, Aug 28, 2003
  17. AD. Guest

    On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 17:43:02 +1200, N Lawton wrote:

    > 10.0.*.* is in the private class A address range. 192.168.0.x is in the
    > private class C address range.

    Or more accurately 192.168.x.x is the private class B (/16) address range.

    Even though most people unwittingly subnet it to a /24 because that's what
    their original Wingate examples and later their Nokia M11 did ;)

    Cheers
    Anton
    AD., Aug 28, 2003
  18. David Keane Guest

    AD. wrote:
    > On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 17:43:02 +1200, N Lawton wrote:
    >

    >>10.0.*.* is in the private class A address range. 192.168.0.x is in the
    >>private class C address range.

    > Or more accurately 192.168.x.x is the private class B (/16) address range.
    >
    > Even though most people unwittingly subnet it to a /24 because that's what
    > their original Wingate examples and later their Nokia M11 did ;)
    >
    > Cheers
    > Anton

    That's right, I'm currently using the 192.168.1.* with the /24 subnet.

    I can't remember the other (Class C) Private Range.
    David Keane, Aug 28, 2003