    (Sol Architecture - 70-100) None what so ever!

    Personally I think its a tall order but the .NET exams are little use
    to me!

    Dublin john, Jul 22, 2003

  2. Re: Can I do the Full MCSD by June, 2004?

    Hi, John.
    I think you meant June 30, 2004 as the VS6 exam expirations.
    http://www.microsoft.com/traincert/mcp/mcsd/requirements.asp

    I passed all four exams (C++6/VB6) within 1 1/2 months. I've develop with
    both languages but I used the Transcender practice exams for the VB6 tests.
    For the VB exams, get ready to learn about the VB6 (POS, IMHO) Package and
    deployment Wizard for the VB exams. This was crappy old technology that has
    since been replaced by the Windows Installer.

    If you have solid C++ experience, I think you'll be okay with passing the
    C++ exams. These exams give plenty of time (unlike the VB6 exams) and have a
    ridiculously low passing score. maybe you should reconsider the VB6 as the
    elective. Take SQL 2000 Design instead.

    Stay away from the InterDev exam. It's more outdated and (my opinion again)
    not a fair exam.

    Good luck to you,
    Davin Mickelson
    MCP+SB, MCSD, MCAD, MCSA

    Davin Mickelson, Jul 22, 2003

  3. Dublin john

    John S Guest

    yes

    John S, Jul 22, 2003
  4. Dublin john

    Dublin john Guest

    Re: Can I do the Full MCSD by June, 2004?

    Thanks Davin for you advice,
    (your right, slight typo on the date!)
    I just bought the 'Exam cram' books for VC++ 6 (desktop and
    distributed) but I'm still considering my approach. Should I study a
    book inside out,try a few Transcender exams and take the real exam?
    Then, repeat the process for the remaining 3 exams. Alternatively, I
    could study for both VC++ exams before attempting the VB or SQL one?

    Also, is it a matter of just craming the stuff into your head and
    doing a brain dump on the day of the exam?

    (Personally I would rather do the .Net stuff but practically no
    developers use it in the Banking world).

    Cheers!

    Dublin john, Jul 23, 2003
  5. Re: Can I do the Full MCSD by June, 2004?

    I suggest studying for the C++ exams in succession before studying other
    technologies. There is a slight overlap in the information. For example, you
    may need to know OLE DB/ADO for Desktop and Distributed applications.

    As far as how to study for them, Microsoft is only going to quiz you on
    about 20% of C++ technologies that were available in 1999 (A long time
    ago!), when the exam became available. So what do you study? This is where
    Transcender comes in handy. It focuses your training on what will be on the
    exam. It's frustrating - the exam specs state an entire pie of C++
    information for you to study but you'll only be quizzed on a small slice of
    the pie. I used experience and MSDN to pass. I didn't have Transcender
    available to me at the time (2000). Skip the books and get into Transcender.

    ** Tip on using Transcender or other practice exams: Create custom exams
    from the entire pool of questions based solely on one subject group at a
    time. Turn off the Timer - that adds stress you don't need while learning.
    Enable the "Answer now" feature so that you can learn why you're right or
    wrong and read the FULL answer. This concentrates learning the subject
    matter and puts the related pieces together in your head. To save money, I
    buy Transcender practice exams from authorized Transcender resellers on
    eBay. Look for the "Authorized" logo.

    MSDN is going to be helpful to you - just be sure to use a version of MSDN
    that is Oct 2001 or older. Any newer version of MSDN is for VS.NET. Keep in
    mind what technologies were available when the exam was created. The MSPress
    study books are actually pretty good books. You can use these books to learn
    about VC6, besides studying for the exam. I didn't care for the Exam Cram
    series.

    Banking - nobody makes the big money in banking except those at the very
    top. My wife has been in banking for 10 years.

    Good luck to you,
    Davin Mickelson

    Davin Mickelson, Jul 23, 2003
  6. Dublin john

    Dublin john Guest

    Re: Can I do the Full MCSD by June, 2004?

    That's useful advice Davin. Thanks very much. It should surely reduce the work load!

    Dublin john, Jul 24, 2003