    ignore images or go ahead and display them; why not the same for sounds?

    Help appreciated!

    J.
    Janice P., Dec 12, 2006

  2. Janice P. wrote:
    > I'd like to set Firefox to absolutely ignore any and all embedded sounds,
    > whether they're played by Firefox or launched to an external player, no
    > matter, I want all of them blocked permanently. Is it possible?
    >
    > Take the .mp3 and .wav extensions, for example. When I click Change Action,
    > I see four choices:
    >
    > Open them with the default app
    > Open them with a specified app
    > Save them to the hard drive
    > Use a plugin
    >
    > Why not a choice to simply ignore them? I can choose to "Change" the
    > action, but I can't see how to delete it! In another area, I can choose to
    > ignore images or go ahead and display them; why not the same for sounds?
    >
    > Help appreciated!
    >
    > J.

    http://kb.mozillazine.org/Muting_browser

    Lee
    Leonidas Jones, Dec 12, 2006

  3. On 2006-12-12, Janice P <> wrote:

    > I'd like to set Firefox to absolutely ignore any and all embedded sounds,
    > whether they're played by Firefox or launched to an external player, no
    > matter, I want all of them blocked permanently. Is it possible?
    >
    > Take the .mp3 and .wav extensions, for example. When I click Change Action,
    > I see four choices:
    >
    > Open them with the default app
    > Open them with a specified app
    > Save them to the hard drive
    > Use a plugin
    >
    > Why not a choice to simply ignore them? I can choose to "Change" the
    > action, but I can't see how to delete it! In another area, I can choose to
    > ignore images or go ahead and display them; why not the same for sounds?
    >
    > Help appreciated!

    Turn down the volume on your speakers?

    --

    John ()
    John Thompson, Dec 13, 2006
  4. Janice P.

    Janice P. Guest

    Re: Re: Can I disable ALL sounds in Firefox?

    On Tue, 12 Dec 2006 23:40:26 GMT, Leonidas Jones <> posted:

    >http://kb.mozillazine.org/Muting_browser

    Thank you, Lee. I've installed it but have yet to see if it works since I
    haven't come across an embedded sound yet.

    To any Firefox developer programmers who may be watching: I think it's
    absurd that you offer a choice to disable embedded images, which are almost
    always useful and almost never annoying, but don't offer a choice to disable
    embedded sounds, which are almost always annoying and almost never useful.

    Perhaps absurd is too strong a word. Perhaps it's just an oversight. Would
    you add such a choice to a near future release version, please?

    On the embedded images topic: I would find most useful an option, not to
    exclude images, but to refuse to animate gifs. Just display the first frame
    and leave it at that. I have never seen an animated gif that was important
    to the content of the page. Never! Well, never that I can think of. Some
    were cute in the past, but today they're mostly spam. I would greatly
    appreciate the option to shut them up.

    Well, I'm on a roll, how about one more: I love the option to block images
    from a certain domain. This is one of the friendliest and most thoughtful
    things about Firefox, to me. But it could work better:

    abc-server.spam.com <--- Blocking that
    def-server.spam.com <--- Does not block that.

    So all they do is constantly change the "prefix" domain (I can't think of
    the correct word here) and I have to keep constantly blocking abc-server
    then def-server then ghi-server and so forth. I would like an option to
    block the "root" domain (I can't think of the correct word here, either) so
    I didn't have to keep getting nagged by their spam. Offer me the choice in
    the context menu to block abc-server.spam.com or block spam.com altogether!
    Now that would be a helpful new option!

    Overall, I love Firefox. Please keep up the good work.

    J.
    Janice P., Dec 13, 2006
  5. Janice P. wrote:
    > On Tue, 12 Dec 2006 23:40:26 GMT, Leonidas Jones <> posted:
    >
    >> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Muting_browser

    > Thank you, Lee. I've installed it but have yet to see if it works since I
    > haven't come across an embedded sound yet.
    >
    > To any Firefox developer programmers who may be watching: I think it's
    > absurd that you offer a choice to disable embedded images, which are almost
    > always useful and almost never annoying, but don't offer a choice to disable
    > embedded sounds, which are almost always annoying and almost never useful.
    >
    > Perhaps absurd is too strong a word. Perhaps it's just an oversight. Would
    > you add such a choice to a near future release version, please?
    >
    > On the embedded images topic: I would find most useful an option, not to
    > exclude images, but to refuse to animate gifs. Just display the first frame
    > and leave it at that. I have never seen an animated gif that was important
    > to the content of the page. Never! Well, never that I can think of. Some
    > were cute in the past, but today they're mostly spam. I would greatly
    > appreciate the option to shut them up.
    >
    > Well, I'm on a roll, how about one more: I love the option to block images
    > from a certain domain. This is one of the friendliest and most thoughtful
    > things about Firefox, to me. But it could work better:
    >
    > abc-server.spam.com <--- Blocking that
    > def-server.spam.com <--- Does not block that.
    >
    > So all they do is constantly change the "prefix" domain (I can't think of
    > the correct word here) and I have to keep constantly blocking abc-server
    > then def-server then ghi-server and so forth. I would like an option to
    > block the "root" domain (I can't think of the correct word here, either) so
    > I didn't have to keep getting nagged by their spam. Offer me the choice in
    > the context menu to block abc-server.spam.com or block spam.com altogether!
    > Now that would be a helpful new option!
    >
    > Overall, I love Firefox. Please keep up the good work.
    >
    > J.

    Take a look at AdBlock Plus:

    http://adblockplus.org/en/

    Lee
    Leonidas Jones, Dec 13, 2006
  6. Janice P.

    Charani Guest

    On Tue, 12 Dec 2006 21:30:31 -0700, Janice P. wrote:

    > To any Firefox developer programmers who may be watching: I think it's
    > absurd that you offer a choice to disable embedded images, which are almost
    > always useful and almost never annoying, but don't offer a choice to disable
    > embedded sounds, which are almost always annoying and almost never useful.

    Embedded sounds aren't "almost always annoying and almost never
    useful" to everyone so I agree there should be an option to disable
    them for those people who do find them annoying.
    Charani, Dec 13, 2006
  7. Janice P.

    Janice P. Guest

    Re: Re: Can I disable ALL sounds in Firefox?

    On Tue, 12 Dec 2006 20:31:42 -0600, John Thompson <2.dhs.org>
    posted:

    >On 2006-12-12, Janice P <> wrote:
    >
    >> I'd like to set Firefox to absolutely ignore any and all embedded sounds
    >>

    >Turn down the volume on your speakers?

    Of course! I should have thought of that! Why should I listen to music I
    love on my $200 sound card when I could simply turn off the speakers and
    never have to hear my music interrupted by unwelcome and unexpected spam
    ever again!

    Thank you for your thoughtful and helpful advice!

    http://tinyurl.com/yg6aup

    J.
    Janice P., Dec 13, 2006
  8. Janice P.

    Janice P. Guest

    Re: Re: Can I disable ALL sounds in Firefox?

    On Wed, 13 Dec 2006 04:37:22 GMT, Leonidas Jones <> posted:

    >Take a look at AdBlock Plus:
    >
    >http://adblockplus.org/en/

    I'm looking. Thanks :)

    J.
    Janice P., Dec 13, 2006
  9. Janice P. wrote:
    > On Tue, 12 Dec 2006 20:31:42 -0600, John Thompson <2.dhs.org>
    > posted:
    >
    >> On 2006-12-12, Janice P <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I'd like to set Firefox to absolutely ignore any and all embedded sounds
    >>>

    >> Turn down the volume on your speakers?

    > Of course! I should have thought of that! Why should I listen to music I
    > love on my $200 sound card when I could simply turn off the speakers and
    > never have to hear my music interrupted by unwelcome and unexpected spam
    > ever again!
    >
    > Thank you for your thoughtful and helpful advice!
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/yg6aup
    >
    > J.

    Good Lord, why react like that?? It was a perfectly reasonable
    suggestion, that many, many people follow. Just because it doesn't work
    for you is no reason to go off on John.

    Lee
    Leonidas Jones, Dec 13, 2006
  10. Janice P.

    Janice P. Guest

    Re: Re: Can I disable ALL sounds in Firefox?

    On Wed, 13 Dec 2006 12:31:29 GMT, Leonidas Jones <> posted:

    >Good Lord, why react like that??

    Must you ask, Lee? Then I'll tell you why: That sarcastic little question
    mark at the end, as if to say I was too stupid to have thought of such a
    thing. The typing equivalent of adding "Hello? Anyone home? Why don't you
    do the OBVIOUS, stupid?"

    >It was a perfectly reasonable
    >suggestion, that many, many people follow.

    How can you be serious?!?!?!! Perfectly reasonable? To simply stop using
    sound in my computer, to disable all of the *other* sounds that I welcome,
    all the time, just to avoid the spam? Why even have speakers? Why even
    have a sound card? Why don't I just stick icepicks in my ears one time and
    be done with the problem for life?

    >Just because it doesn't work
    >for you is no reason to go off on John.

    Good grief. Relax. You'd think I dropped a rock on his foot. Be assured,
    my snotty little Google message didn't offend him any more than his snotty
    little "You are a moron" message offended me.

    J.
    Janice P., Dec 13, 2006
  11. Janice P.

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Ed Mullen, Dec 13, 2006
  12. Janice P.

    Janice P. Guest

    Re: Re: Can I disable ALL sounds in Firefox?

    On Wed, 13 Dec 2006 09:38:34 -0500, Ed Mullen <> posted:

    >http://mozilla.edmullen.net/moz_filetest.html

    That is an excellent resource, Ed. Thank you. May I suggest an option for
    a tiny three-second MP3 on the main page, and also for a small embedded .wav
    file?

    I got no audio from the midi file, but I didn't get the little play option
    box either. I just got a rectangular outline. I didn't check an mp3 yet
    because they're so big for a slow dial-in connection such as mine (the
    reason I asked for a tiny one on the main page).

    Your page prompted me to finally write a little observation I've been
    meaning to voice, but it had to be done with graphics more than words, so I
    put it on a free web host. Please look at it and tell me your thoughts:

    http://qpowjhfygr.50megs.com/ffprob1.html

    J.
    Janice P., Dec 13, 2006
  13. Janice P.

    Guest

    , Dec 13, 2006
  14. Janice P.

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Janice P. wrote:
    > On Wed, 13 Dec 2006 09:38:34 -0500, Ed Mullen <> posted:
    >
    >> http://mozilla.edmullen.net/moz_filetest.html

    > That is an excellent resource, Ed. Thank you. May I suggest an option for
    > a tiny three-second MP3 on the main page, and also for a small embedded .wav
    > file?
    >
    > I got no audio from the midi file, but I didn't get the little play option
    > box either. I just got a rectangular outline. I didn't check an mp3 yet
    > because they're so big for a slow dial-in connection such as mine (the
    > reason I asked for a tiny one on the main page).

    Small wave and mp3 tests are there now.

    > Your page prompted me to finally write a little observation I've been
    > meaning to voice, but it had to be done with graphics more than words, so I
    > put it on a free web host. Please look at it and tell me your thoughts:
    >
    > http://qpowjhfygr.50megs.com/ffprob1.html

    LOL. Yes, that certainly is one of the pitfalls of specifying your own
    page properties. The User Interface can only offer so many options
    concerning page styling. You can, however, get much more involved by
    using CSS.

    On your examples what's happening is that the images used for the menus
    are not being loaded because you've over-ridden them with your
    preferences. No idea why at this point. Perhaps one of the CSS gurus
    will step in and suggest a fix using CSS in Firefox.

    Another (obvious) possibility is for me (and other sites) to provide
    alternative style sheets from which the user can choose. I could do one
    that darkens the background image to suit users who find it too bright.
    If I get the time I'll certainly consider that. Shouldn't be too
    hard, I just need the time.

    And thanks for the nice comments. ;-)

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net
    Ed Mullen, Dec 13, 2006
  15. On Wed, 13 Dec 2006 12:31:29 GMT, Leonidas Jones <> wrote:

    > Janice P. wrote:
    > > On Tue, 12 Dec 2006 20:31:42 -0600, John Thompson <2.dhs.org>
    > > posted:

    > >> Turn down the volume on your speakers?

    > > Of course! I should have thought of that! Why should I listen to music I
    > > love on my $200 sound card when I could simply turn off the speakers and
    > > never have to hear my music interrupted by unwelcome and unexpected spam
    > > ever again!
    > >
    > > Thank you for your thoughtful and helpful advice!
    > >
    > > http://tinyurl.com/yg6aup
    > >
    > > J.
    > >

    > Good Lord, why react like that?? It was a perfectly reasonable
    > suggestion, that many, many people follow. Just because it doesn't work
    > for you is no reason to go off on John.

    That's not really an effective solution, unless you plan on taping the
    volume control to the zero setting. Forget to turn it down just one time
    and you end up regretting it at the most annoying and inconvenient times.
    Taping the button in place sort of defeats the purpose of owning speakers
    for their many legitimate uses. Have you ever been browsing quietly in the
    middle of the night while everyone in the house was asleep, only to have
    something start blasting away at high volume, waking everyone in the house
    and nearly causing a heart attack due to it's unexpected suddenness. Then,
    to make things worse, it turns out to be happening in a tab that doesn't
    even have focus, so you have to hunt around for the offending tab while
    reaching for the speakers at the same time, hoping to kill it as quickly as
    possible. The next day, you decide to play some music and hear nothing,
    then, after thinking your player was not working, you realize that you had
    turned the sound down the night before.

    A different solution, that only affects Firefox, but not other programs is
    to filter out *.mid, *.wav and *.swf using AdBlock Plus. This works fairly
    well for me, though some sounds end up getting through once every couple
    months. I don't want to remove my sound-related plugins, as I might
    intentionally want to go to a site to listen to music or to view a flash
    file. Nothing is more annoying than browsing eBay and having a dozen tabs
    open to different listings, when one of them starts a high volume sales
    pitch. Any seller who pulls that stunt on me gets a nice big complaint, and
    the promise that I will never bid from them no matter how badly I want
    their item. Thankfully, that is rare with my current AdBlock filters.

    Firefox could use a new option right under the "automatically load images"
    option. It would be "automatically play sounds." Better yet would be that
    option with a whitelist for acceptable sites. That way, going to a news
    site to play a video would allow the sound to be heard, but all other
    non-approved sounds would be forever silenced.
    --
    FoxWolfie
    FoxWolfie Galen, Dec 13, 2006
  16. On Wed, 13 Dec 2006 14:15:54 -0500, Ed Mullen <> wrote:

    > Janice P. wrote:
    > > On Wed, 13 Dec 2006 09:38:34 -0500, Ed Mullen <> posted:
    > >
    > >> http://mozilla.edmullen.net/moz_filetest.html

    > > That is an excellent resource, Ed. Thank you. May I suggest an option for
    > > a tiny three-second MP3 on the main page, and also for a small embedded .wav
    > > file?
    > >
    > > I got no audio from the midi file, but I didn't get the little play option
    > > box either. I just got a rectangular outline. I didn't check an mp3 yet
    > > because they're so big for a slow dial-in connection such as mine (the
    > > reason I asked for a tiny one on the main page).

    > Small wave and mp3 tests are there now.
    >
    > > Your page prompted me to finally write a little observation I've been
    > > meaning to voice, but it had to be done with graphics more than words, so I
    > > put it on a free web host. Please look at it and tell me your thoughts:
    > >
    > > http://qpowjhfygr.50megs.com/ffprob1.html

    > LOL. Yes, that certainly is one of the pitfalls of specifying your own
    > page properties. The User Interface can only offer so many options
    > concerning page styling. You can, however, get much more involved by
    > using CSS.
    >
    > On your examples what's happening is that the images used for the menus
    > are not being loaded because you've over-ridden them with your
    > preferences. No idea why at this point. Perhaps one of the CSS gurus
    > will step in and suggest a fix using CSS in Firefox.
    >
    > Another (obvious) possibility is for me (and other sites) to provide
    > alternative style sheets from which the user can choose. I could do one
    > that darkens the background image to suit users who find it too bright.
    > If I get the time I'll certainly consider that. Shouldn't be too
    > hard, I just need the time.

    I am also able to reproduce the OP's situation. When a user sets a
    preferred background color, all cells in drop down menus, and cells in
    tables become transparent. This flaw can be seen on many pages, which
    renders the user's override of colors useless. The proper behavior, in my
    opinion, would be to paint menu backgrounds and any table cell backgrounds
    in the user's specified background color.

    I assume a css script could force all table cells and menus to the
    specified background color, but this really seems to be an oversight in the
    user-specified color handling. I also have an issue with large areas with
    bright backgrounds due to photo-sensitivity in my eyes. Currently, the only
    solution is to set the brightness on my monitor lower. This causes images
    in most other programs to be too dark, so I can never leave it that way.
    --
    FoxWolfie
    FoxWolfie Galen, Dec 13, 2006
  17. Janice P.

    Janice P. Guest

    Re: Re: Can I disable ALL sounds in Firefox?

    On Wed, 13 Dec 2006 14:15:54 -0500, Ed Mullen <> posted:

    >Small wave and mp3 tests are there now.

    Wonderful! I'm delighted to report that midi, wav, and mp3 all remain
    silent with that little extension installed :)

    >On your examples what's happening is that the images used for the menus
    >are not being loaded because you've over-ridden them with your
    >preferences. No idea why at this point. Perhaps one of the CSS gurus
    >will step in and suggest a fix using CSS in Firefox.

    I know nothing at all about style sheets, but it does seem to me that if
    you're able to recognize and define an area to use or ignore a background
    jpeg, you should also be able to define that area as a solid color.

    >Another (obvious) possibility is for me (and other sites) to provide
    >alternative style sheets from which the user can choose.

    I can see the occasional friendly individual doing such a thing, but never
    the corporate monolith. Their attitude has always been and apparently
    always will be "Tough. March in step or go away."

    >I could do one
    >that darkens the background image to suit users who find it too bright.
    >If I get the time I'll certainly consider that. Shouldn't be too
    >hard, I just need the time.

    Indeed. If you were to do such a thing, I would personally love to see the
    opposite extreme: As dark as possible. Black with primarily light green
    text. I miss the days of the greenscreen! In the old days all of the
    bulletin board software defaulted to a black background. Dos started black
    and it's still black. When did this cruel shift to white creep in? People
    lean back from their computers and rub their tired eyes and say "My eyes are
    burning so bad! I've been at the computer for hours!" ... well DUH! Their
    eyes would also be burning if they stared directly into several hundred
    watts of bright white light bulbs, which is about the same as several
    hundred watts of bright white monitor screen. But a black screen with
    moderately colored text is gentle on the eyes! I can be at the computer
    sixteen hours straight and not be frazzled at all, while the whitescreen
    user is squirting Visine into his eyes after two hours.

    >And thanks for the nice comments. ;-)

    Oh, you're quite welcome, Ed. It's a fantastic site.

    J.
    Janice P., Dec 14, 2006
  18. Janice P.

    Janice P. Guest

    Re: Re: Can I disable ALL sounds in Firefox?

    On Wed, 13 Dec 2006 17:54:42 -0500, FoxWolfie Galen <>
    posted:

    >The proper behavior, in my
    >opinion, would be to paint menu backgrounds and any table cell backgrounds
    >in the user's specified background color.

    Zackly.

    >I also have an issue with large areas with
    >bright backgrounds due to photo-sensitivity in my eyes.

    And here I thought I was the only person on Earth sitting here in the dark,
    surfing the web, wearing sunglasses.

    J.
    Janice P., Dec 14, 2006
  19. Janice P.

    Janice P. Guest

    Re: Re: Can I disable ALL sounds in Firefox?

    On Wed, 13 Dec 2006 17:50:33 -0500, FoxWolfie Galen <>
    posted:

    >Forget to turn it down just one time
    >and you end up regretting it at the most
    >annoying and inconvenient times.

    Hear hear! I just want to reach into the screen and grab the jerk that
    embedded that sound and shake him until his teeth rattle.

    >Taping the button in place sort of
    >defeats the purpose of owning speakers
    >for their many legitimate uses.

    My point exactly, and I don't believe John was really suggesting something
    so stupid, but then, Lee came running to defend him, so I guess anything's
    possible.

    >Have you ever been browsing quietly in the
    >middle of the night while everyone in the
    >house was asleep, only to have
    >something start blasting away at high volume

    Yes, all the time. Or I might be listening to some music or watching a
    movie and have it interrupted by some jerk's idea of a funny sound from his
    web page. As I said in an earlier post, embedded sounds are almost always
    annoying and almost never meaningful. I have never yet come across a single
    embedded sound that mattered, that was important, that helped fulfill why I
    came to that website, never in all these years, not one.

    >Nothing is more annoying than browsing eBay and having a dozen tabs
    >open to different listings, when one of them starts a high volume sales
    >pitch.

    I've written to eBay many times to try and convince them to ban embedded
    sounds, but they just ignore me.

    >Firefox could use a new option right under the "automatically load images"
    >option. It would be "automatically play sounds." Better yet would be that
    >option with a whitelist for acceptable sites. That way, going to a news
    >site to play a video would allow the sound to be heard, but all other
    >non-approved sounds would be forever silenced.

    Bingo. We get an option to block images, when they're almost always useful,
    but not to block sounds, when they're almost always annoying.

    J.
    Janice P., Dec 14, 2006

    Privoxy can do that, and much more, for you: http://www.privoxy.org

    --