Can I delete These Folders?

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Avatar, Aug 26, 2006.

    Avatar Guest

    Can I delete these folders:

    1. $NtServicePackUninstall$ - created after installation of Service Pack
    2 Beta

    2. ServicePackFiles - Likewise (I think!)

    Together they occupy about 1.2 GB. I am not complaining about the disk space
    on this machine with almost a terabyte of storage capacity but I regularly
    make system drive backup images (Ghost, using a boot-CD). The back up would
    fit on one DVD but after the SP2 update, spills over onto another disc! I
    have had problems with spanned drive images before!

    Or, can I just move those folders to another hard drive and rewrite their
    references in the Registry - I think HKLM/Software/Microsoft/Windows/Current
    Version/Set Up > Source Paths?

    OS is Windows XP Pro 64 Bit Edition

    Regards and thanks in anticipation.

    -------

    Avatar, Aug 26, 2006

  2. 1. Yes, these are the uninstall files and can be safely deleted:
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/spack.htm
    However if you have SP-2 Beta, you should uninstall it and install the
    released version:
    The Beta is long since over and the final product released.
    Beta code especially a Beta Service Pack should not be on a machine if used
    for anything of importance.

    2. No, this file is needed for System File Checking. It is the files
    changed by the Service Pack.

    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

    Jupiter Jones [MVP], Aug 26, 2006

    Avatar Guest

    "Jupiter Jones [MVP]" <> wrote in message
    > 1. Yes, these are the uninstall files and can be safely deleted:
    > http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/spack.htm
    > However if you have SP-2 Beta, you should uninstall it and install the
    > released version:
    > http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/spackins.htm
    > The Beta is long since over and the final product released.
    > Beta code especially a Beta Service Pack should not be on a machine if
    > used for anything of importance.
    >
    > 2. No, this file is needed for System File Checking. It is the files
    > changed by the Service Pack.
    >
    > --
    > Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    > http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
    > http://www.dts-l.org

    Thanks for your response. Actually......

    I was under the impression the Service Pack 2 for 64-Bit OS (Windows 2003
    and XP Pro) is still in Beta! I signed up for Beta testing early last month,
    AFAIR. It is available through Microsoft Connect.

    Thanks for the links - however they relate to Windows XP Professional 32 Bit
    Edition, not the 64 Bit.

    Regards.

    --------

    Avatar, Aug 26, 2006
  4. You're correct. Jupiter spends most of his time with 32-bit folks, and just
    didn't realize we were dealing with x64, which is, of course, at SP1 level
    plus a current beta.

    Given that it's beta, you may be asked to uninstall the current one before
    the next build. I would NOT remove that folder.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 26, 2006
  5. The information applies to 64 bit as well.
    But if you Delete the uninstall file, you will not be able to uninstall the
    Beta of SP-2.
    That is why I suggested you uninstall SP-2 Beta.

    After that I got mixed up with 32 bit.
    Obviously SP-2 Beta 64 bit is not long since over.
    Since the Beta for SP-2 is still current, you may want to leave SP-2
    installed as long as it serves your testing purposes.

    At the appropriate time, I suggest you uninstall SP-2 Beta before installing
    the next build or released version.
    Upgrading from Beta to a released version is not usually recommended.

    Sorry for the mix up in my last post.

    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]

    Jupiter Jones [MVP], Aug 26, 2006
  6. No problem, Jupiter. You're absolutely right though - at the end of the
    beta, I think it's a really good idea to _uninstall_ and then install the
    final version. I don't like layering the RTM on top of the beta for SPs.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 27, 2006