    If i find these 2 files can i just hit the delete key or do i have to do
    something else to get rid of them??????

    cheers

    anOLDun, Nov 24, 2004

  2. anOLDun

    Ionizer Guest

    "anOLDun" <> wrote in message
    news:co12ft$ngm$...
    > Lo All
    >
    > Having run anti virus i now have some files that are not virus' but are
    > "threats"
    >
    > Two of them are in my d harddrive .i.e.
    >
    > D\windows\nem214.dll .......(this came in with Adware NetOptimizer -

    what
    > ever that is)
    >
    > D\windows\wsem216.dll ......... (so did this)
    >
    > If i find these 2 files can i just hit the delete key or do i have to do
    > something else to get rid of them??????
    >
    > cheers

    It looks like there's more to manually removing NetOptimizer than just
    deleting one dll file:
    http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/pest/pest.aspx?id=453076206 Did you
    already use AdAware or Spybot S&D to remove the rest of it?

    --
    Ian.
    Ionizer, Nov 24, 2004

  3. anOLDun

    Richard Guest

    anOLDun wrote:

    > Lo All

    > Having run anti virus i now have some files that are not virus' but are
    > "threats"

    > Two of them are in my d harddrive .i.e.

    > D\windows\nem214.dll .......(this came in with Adware NetOptimizer - what
    > ever that is)

    > D\windows\wsem216.dll ......... (so did this)

    > If i find these 2 files can i just hit the delete key or do i have to do
    > something else to get rid of them??????

    > cheers

    Yes you can delete those files.
    But beware that you may wind up getting dozens of error messages each time
    the originating program is operating.
    a "Data Link Library" file is necessary for some programs as these files
    contain constantly used "data" rather than keeping all that stuff in the
    main program.
    Richard, Nov 24, 2004
  4. anOLDun

    Sky King Guest

    anOLDun wrote:

    > Having run anti virus i now have some files that are not virus' but are
    > "threats"
    >
    > Two of them are in my d harddrive .i.e.
    >
    > D\windows\nem214.dll .......(this came in with Adware NetOptimizer - what
    > ever that is)
    >
    > D\windows\wsem216.dll ......... (so did this)
    >
    > If i find these 2 files can i just hit the delete key or do i have to do
    > something else to get rid of them??????

    As others have mentioned, just removing those two files won't rid your
    system of the junk that put them there in the first place. First place to
    check would be the Add&Remove Programs list; if you see the NetOptimizer
    item there then Remove it. To just delete the files use these steps:

    1. On the Start/Run line enter this: "regsvr32 /u /i nem214.dll" and then
    "regsvr32 /u /i wsem216.dll"
    2. If the files are not removed in the above process, you can then delete
    them manually.

    --

    ....Sky

    Sky King, Nov 24, 2004
  5. anOLDun

    anOLDun Guest

    LO all

    Have removed NORTON from my system and using AVG - have run it twice and all
    looking good.

    Cheers

    anOLDun, Nov 25, 2004