Can I create a network without a hub/switch or router? I mean, 3 PC and 3 net cards.

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Starriol, Feb 8, 2006.

  1. Starriol

    Starriol Guest

    The situation is this: I have a PC with cable modem connected via a
    long inverted or crossed over, I don't know how this UTP cable layout
    is called, it's when both endings are different and you use them to
    connect 2 PC. Anyway, this cable goes to my moms PC and she enjoys
    Internet thanks to my connection.

    I'm going to add a 3rd, slower computer, to use as a always on server,
    so the cable modem is going there, as is the other network card in
    which the modem connects.
    So my question is, if I add a 3rd network card to this server PC, can I
    use 2 inverted cables to connect to the other 2 clients PC?
    The server is gonna be windows 98 SE, one PC is win 98 SE too and mine,
    the best, is XP. I do this because I don't wanna keep mine always on,
    so please, don't try to convince me to use the best as a server... ITS
    A NOOO

    The idea behind this is to save me from paying the HUB.
    Please, don't tell me they are not THAT expensive. I rather save the
    money for something else.
    Any ideas about how to do this, greatly appreciated.
    Starriol, Feb 8, 2006

  2. Starriol

    nos1eep Guest

    It is further alleged that on or about 7 Feb 2006 20:00:25 -0800, in
    alt.computer, the queezy keyboard of "Starriol" <>
    spewed the following:

    |The situation is this: I have a PC with cable modem connected via a
    |long inverted or crossed over, I don't know how this UTP cable layout
    |is called, it's when both endings are different and you use them to
    |connect 2 PC. Anyway, this cable goes to my moms PC and she enjoys
    |Internet thanks to my connection.
    |
    |I'm going to add a 3rd, slower computer, to use as a always on server,
    |so the cable modem is going there, as is the other network card in
    |which the modem connects.
    |So my question is, if I add a 3rd network card to this server PC, can I
    |use 2 inverted cables to connect to the other 2 clients PC?
    |The server is gonna be windows 98 SE, one PC is win 98 SE too and mine,
    |the best, is XP. I do this because I don't wanna keep mine always on,
    |so please, don't try to convince me to use the best as a server... ITS
    |A NOOO
    |
    |The idea behind this is to save me from paying the HUB.
    |Please, don't tell me they are not THAT expensive. I rather save the
    |money for something else.
    |Any ideas about how to do this, greatly appreciated.

    Sure, you can. Three nics and crossover cables will work. You already
    know how to set up the network. No problem.
    --

    -nos1eep
    nos1eep, Feb 9, 2006