    Sorry for the dumb question, but can I copy a DVD with this?

    Thanks,

    Jack
    Jack Crane, Jun 17, 2005

  2. Jack Crane

    Large Farva Guest

    It's a DVD burner, so yes you can.

    Large Farva, Jun 17, 2005

  3. Jack Crane

    Paul Guest

    "Jack Crane" <> wrote in message
    > Belarc Advisor says my PC has this: TEAC DVD+RW DV-W58E [CD-ROM drive]
    >
    > Sorry for the dumb question, but can I copy a DVD with this?

    In principle yes, but you'll need sufficient space on the hard drive to
    store the encoded files, and sufficient speed and memory in the computer
    before you even bother trying, also some software to "rip" the DVD video
    from the DVD you're trying to copy.

    There's a lot more to it than this, I would suggest you read all the posts
    on this newsgroup first, then read everything applicable at
    www.videohelp.com and then come back here with a more technical question you
    can't find the answer to.

    Paul
    Paul, Jun 17, 2005
  4. Jack Crane

    Jack Crane Guest

    "Paul" <> wrote in

    > "Jack Crane" <> wrote in message
    >> Belarc Advisor says my PC has this: TEAC DVD+RW DV-W58E [CD-ROM
    >> drive]
    >>
    >> Sorry for the dumb question, but can I copy a DVD with this?

    > In principle yes, but you'll need sufficient space on the hard drive
    > to store the encoded files, and sufficient speed and memory in the
    > computer before you even bother trying, also some software to "rip"
    > the DVD video from the DVD you're trying to copy.

    Belarc says:
    2.80 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4
    8 kilobyte primary memory cache
    512 kilobyte secondary memory cache
    90.03 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

    Enough, I assume?

    I thinking of buying 1Click DVD Copy.
    <http://www.best-dvd-burning-software-reviews.com/dvd-burner-chart.asp>
    Do I need something else to rip? If so, what's good?

    > There's a lot more to it than this, I would suggest you read all the
    > posts on this newsgroup first, then read everything applicable at
    > www.videohelp.com and then come back here with a more technical
    > question you can't find the answer to.

    Sorry, Paul, I don't want to make a career of this.

    Jack
    Jack Crane, Jun 17, 2005
  5. Jack Crane

    GraB Guest

    On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 06:24:42 -0700, Jack Crane <>
    wrote:

    >"Paul" <> wrote in
    >
    >> "Jack Crane" <> wrote in message
    >>> Belarc Advisor says my PC has this: TEAC DVD+RW DV-W58E [CD-ROM
    >>> drive]
    >>>
    >>> Sorry for the dumb question, but can I copy a DVD with this?

    >> In principle yes, but you'll need sufficient space on the hard drive
    >> to store the encoded files, and sufficient speed and memory in the
    >> computer before you even bother trying, also some software to "rip"
    >> the DVD video from the DVD you're trying to copy.

    >Belarc says:
    >2.80 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4
    >8 kilobyte primary memory cache
    >512 kilobyte secondary memory cache
    >90.03 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space
    >
    >Enough, I assume?
    >
    >I thinking of buying 1Click DVD Copy.
    ><http://www.best-dvd-burning-software-reviews.com/dvd-burner-chart.asp>
    >Do I need something else to rip? If so, what's good?

    That would work, I guess, or you could try DVD Decrypter - get it
    while it is still about, search for it - author has been forced to
    remove it, and DVD Shrink. These are the 'standard tools for the job.
    There are tutorials you can search for too. You will need to shrink
    the decrypted video if you want to fit it onto a single layer disc.
    Dual layer discs are much more expensive and a lot more problematic
    with low compatibility. Burn with Nero. Apart from Nero the others
    are free.
    GraB, Jun 17, 2005
  6. Jack Crane

    Adrian Guest

    Jack Crane wrote:
    > "Paul" <> wrote in
    >
    >> "Jack Crane" <> wrote in message
    >>> Belarc Advisor says my PC has this: TEAC DVD+RW DV-W58E [CD-ROM
    >>> drive]
    >>>
    >>> Sorry for the dumb question, but can I copy a DVD with this?

    >> In principle yes, but you'll need sufficient space on the hard drive
    >> to store the encoded files, and sufficient speed and memory in the
    >> computer before you even bother trying, also some software to "rip"
    >> the DVD video from the DVD you're trying to copy.

    > Belarc says:
    > 2.80 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4
    > 8 kilobyte primary memory cache
    > 512 kilobyte secondary memory cache
    > 90.03 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space
    >
    > Enough, I assume?
    >
    > I thinking of buying 1Click DVD Copy.
    > <http://www.best-dvd-burning-software-reviews.com/dvd-burner-
    > chart.asp> Do I need something else to rip? If so, what's good?
    >

    >> There's a lot more to it than this, I would suggest you read all the
    >> posts on this newsgroup first, then read everything applicable at
    >> www.videohelp.com and then come back here with a more technical
    >> question you can't find the answer to.

    > Sorry, Paul, I don't want to make a career of this.
    >
    > Jack

    You could try downloading DVD Shrink, it's free and works well for most
    people.
    --
    Adrian
    Adrian, Jun 17, 2005
  7. Jack Crane

    Paul Guest

    "Jack Crane" <> wrote in message
    > "Paul" <> wrote in

    <snip>>

    >> There's a lot more to it than this, I would suggest you read all the
    >> posts on this newsgroup first, then read everything applicable at
    >> www.videohelp.com and then come back here with a more technical
    >> question you can't find the answer to.

    > Sorry, Paul, I don't want to make a career of this.

    I hope you've got at least 256Mb of RAM in the machine. Regarding 1 click
    I've never used it so I'd do a newsgroup search for related comments if I
    were you before asking on here. DVD Shrink is commonly used to copy a 9Gb
    commercial DVD onto a 4.7Gb blank disk, but if that won't read it, you'll
    need something like DVD Decrypt and Smartripper. I don't promise those are
    still available, mine were obtained some time ago. Even when you've got the
    files off you'll probably want to manipulate them which is where VideoReDo
    comes in to edit the .vob files and Shrink if you just want the main movie
    and not all the menus and extras. Do a few Google searches for DVD ripper /
    ripping / rip and follow up the results. Download the trials and see what
    you like best.

    http://www.dvdidle.com/products.htm is one that was listed here recently, I
    haven't tried it but if it does what it says on the box then you're away for
    a modest outlay.

    Not making a career of it isn't really the point. The ng will get you a
    pointer in the right direction but frequent requests for information will
    get you flamed so it's a balance.

    Good luck.

    Paul
    Paul, Jun 17, 2005
  8. Jack Crane

    UncleDave Guest

    "Jack Crane" <> wrote in message
    > "Paul" <> wrote in
    >
    >> "Jack Crane" <> wrote in message
    >>> Belarc Advisor says my PC has this: TEAC DVD+RW DV-W58E [CD-ROM
    >>> drive]
    >>>
    >>> Sorry for the dumb question, but can I copy a DVD with this?

    >> In principle yes, but you'll need sufficient space on the hard drive
    >> to store the encoded files, and sufficient speed and memory in the
    >> computer before you even bother trying, also some software to "rip"
    >> the DVD video from the DVD you're trying to copy.

    > Belarc says:
    > 2.80 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4
    > 8 kilobyte primary memory cache
    > 512 kilobyte secondary memory cache
    > 90.03 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space
    >
    > Enough, I assume?
    >
    > I thinking of buying 1Click DVD Copy.
    > <http://www.best-dvd-burning-software-reviews.com/dvd-burner-chart.asp>
    > Do I need something else to rip? If so, what's good?
    >

    >> There's a lot more to it than this, I would suggest you read all the
    >> posts on this newsgroup first, then read everything applicable at
    >> www.videohelp.com and then come back here with a more technical
    >> question you can't find the answer to.

    > Sorry, Paul, I don't want to make a career of this.
    >
    > Jack

    I use DVD1Click to copy movies, but in pretty well every case I can only get
    the main movie and no extras. There's a freeware program called DVD43 that
    helps to remove copy protection.

    I have Nero, but I haven't had a lot of luck with it. Too many coasters.
    I've found DVD Shrink the best so far in copying disks that have 2 or 3
    programs recorded off air.
    --- Uncle Dave
    UncleDave, Jun 18, 2005
  9. Jack Crane

    Super_Duper Guest

    Jack Crane wrote:
    > Belarc Advisor says my PC has this: TEAC DVD+RW DV-W58E [CD-ROM drive]
    >
    > Sorry for the dumb question, but can I copy a DVD with this?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Jack

    What kind of DVD are you looking to copy? A copyrighted movie? If that's
    the case, no you may not copy it. Please do not make illegal copies.
    Super_Duper, Jun 18, 2005
  10. Jack Crane

    Howard Guest

    Super_Duper <> wrote in news:aMNse.7284$pa3.1353
    @newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net:

    > Jack Crane wrote:
    >> Belarc Advisor says my PC has this: TEAC DVD+RW DV-W58E [CD-ROM drive]
    >>
    >> Sorry for the dumb question, but can I copy a DVD with this?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> Jack

    > What kind of DVD are you looking to copy? A copyrighted movie? If that's
    > the case, no you may not copy it. Please do not make illegal copies.

    He didn't ask if he had permission, he asked if he had the ability. In
    both cases, the answer is yes. Like it or not, he DOES have the right to
    make copies of DVDs he owns. Yes, even 'copyrighted' ones.

    . Cabal# 24601-fnord | Sleep is irrelevant.
    Howard, Jun 18, 2005