    jack to the wiring block?

    If not, what is the problem?

    Sorry for such a newbie question, but we all start somewhere. :)
    Gary Dale, Mar 15, 2005

  2. Gary Dale

    Lucas Tam Guest

    Gary Dale <> wrote in news:5oSdnV74zog0zKrfRVn-
    :

    > With the terrific local deal on the hardware (free with new Vonage
    > account), I'm tempted to to jump into VoIP. However, I've got four
    > phones in my house and I don't want to go down to just one.
    >
    > Does the Linksys PAP2 allow you to connect into the telephone wiring
    > block (disconnecting Bell's incoming lines) so that all my existing
    > phones continue to work?

    Yes.

    > That is, can I run a line (with a plug at one
    > end and the four wires split out at the other) from the first PAP2

    phone
    > jack to the wiring block?

    It works.

    > If not, what is the problem?

    Only problem is that the REN (Ring Equivalence Number) is much lower on
    the PAP2 and may not support the number of phones in your house. To
    solve this problem, add up the REN of all the phones in your house and
    see if it's lower than the REN of the PAP2. Most modern phones use <0.5
    REN so this shouldn't be much of an issue for you.

    --
    Lucas Tam ()
    Lucas Tam, Mar 15, 2005

  3. Gary Dale

    Gary Dale Guest

    Lucas Tam wrote:
    > Gary Dale <> wrote in news:5oSdnV74zog0zKrfRVn-
    > :
    >

    >>With the terrific local deal on the hardware (free with new Vonage
    >>account), I'm tempted to to jump into VoIP. However, I've got four
    >>phones in my house and I don't want to go down to just one.
    >>
    >>Does the Linksys PAP2 allow you to connect into the telephone wiring
    >>block (disconnecting Bell's incoming lines) so that all my existing
    >>phones continue to work?

    > Yes.
    >

    >>That is, can I run a line (with a plug at one
    >>end and the four wires split out at the other) from the first PAP2

    > phone
    >
    >>jack to the wiring block?

    > It works.
    >

    >>If not, what is the problem?

    > Only problem is that the REN (Ring Equivalence Number) is much lower on
    > the PAP2 and may not support the number of phones in your house. To
    > solve this problem, add up the REN of all the phones in your house and
    > see if it's lower than the REN of the PAP2. Most modern phones use <0.5
    > REN so this shouldn't be much of an issue for you.

    Thanks. Only problem I've got now is that Vonage apparently can't
    transfer my current number to their system. They say that it's "not
    available in Canada (yet)". This doesn't seem to prevent them from
    advertising it though!
    Gary Dale, Mar 16, 2005
  4. Gary Dale

    Lucas Tam Guest

    Gary Dale <> wrote in news:kZudnZbhi83y5qXfRVn-
    :

    >> Only problem is that the REN (Ring Equivalence Number) is much lower on
    >> the PAP2 and may not support the number of phones in your house. To
    >> solve this problem, add up the REN of all the phones in your house and
    >> see if it's lower than the REN of the PAP2. Most modern phones use <0.5
    >> REN so this shouldn't be much of an issue for you.
    >>

    > Thanks. Only problem I've got now is that Vonage apparently can't
    > transfer my current number to their system. They say that it's "not
    > available in Canada (yet)". This doesn't seem to prevent them from
    > advertising it though!

    Number Portability is only advertised on Vonage.com... but not on Vonage.ca
    ; )

    --
    Lucas Tam ()
    Lucas Tam, Mar 16, 2005
  5. Gary Dale

    Rick Merrill Guest

    Gary Dale wrote:

    > Thanks. Only problem I've got now is that Vonage apparently can't
    > transfer my current number to their system. They say that it's "not
    > available in Canada (yet)". This doesn't seem to prevent them from
    > advertising it though!

    They can port some numbers but not all. Did they say "never"? If not,
    ask them WHEN they will be able to port it.
    Rick Merrill, Mar 16, 2005
  6. Gary Dale <> writes:

    >Thanks. Only problem I've got now is that Vonage apparently can't
    >transfer my current number to their system. They say that it's "not
    >available in Canada (yet)". This doesn't seem to prevent them from
    >advertising it though!

    Number portability is avalable in the US by government order - the
    LECs would NEVER have agreed to it unless forced...you'll have to
    go to the communications authority in Canada to get them to implement
    the rules. :-(

    That said, I have Vonage working with all my home phones - 4 regular
    phones/base stations plugged into the device and all ring OK. It
    works treat.

    Just be sure that you disconnect the lead from the TelCo at the
    interface box (or whatever it is you have up there in Canada) so
    that you don't blow your box if somehow dialtone gets back on that
    line. I disconnected the wire on the consumer side of my box, and
    put electrical tape over the jack AND the wire, plus a note saying
    NOT to connect it again.

    -Stephen
    --
    Space Age Cybernomad Stephen Adams
    (remove SPAM to reply)
    Stephen M. Adams, Mar 16, 2005
  7. Gary Dale

    Isaiah Beard Guest

    Lucas Tam wrote:

    >>If not, what is the problem?

    > Only problem is that the REN (Ring Equivalence Number) is much lower on
    > the PAP2 and may not support the number of phones in your house.

    The REN capacity of the PAP2 is 5, the same load capability as a typical
    urban POTS line.

    --
    E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
    Isaiah Beard, Mar 17, 2005
  8. Gary Dale

    Isaiah Beard Guest

    Rick Merrill wrote:

    > They can port some numbers but not all. Did they say "never"? If not,
    > ask them WHEN they will be able to port it.

    Whoops my mistake, the REN load of the PAP2 is actually 3 (equivalent to
    a rural POTS line). But that should still be plenty.

    --
    E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
    Isaiah Beard, Mar 17, 2005
  9. Gary Dale

    Rick Merrill Guest

    Isaiah Beard wrote:
    > Rick Merrill wrote:
    >

    >> They can port some numbers but not all. Did they say "never"? If not,
    >> ask them WHEN they will be able to port it.

    > Whoops my mistake, the REN load of the PAP2 is actually 3 (equivalent to
    > a rural POTS line). But that should still be plenty.

    Not only is it probably plenty, but if you switch off the 'ring' then
    the REN drops to zero for that phone.
    Rick Merrill, Mar 17, 2005
  10. Gary Dale

    Vox Humana Guest

    "Isaiah Beard" <> wrote in message
    > Rick Merrill wrote:
    >

    > > They can port some numbers but not all. Did they say "never"? If not,
    > > ask them WHEN they will be able to port it.

    > Whoops my mistake, the REN load of the PAP2 is actually 3 (equivalent to
    > a rural POTS line). But that should still be plenty.

    The docs that came with my PAP2 says the REN is 5.
    Vox Humana, Mar 17, 2005
  11. Gary Dale

    Isaiah Beard Guest

    Vox Humana wrote:
    >>>They can port some numbers but not all. Did they say "never"? If not,
    >>>ask them WHEN they will be able to port it.

    >>Whoops my mistake, the REN load of the PAP2 is actually 3 (equivalent to
    >>a rural POTS line). But that should still be plenty.

    > The docs that came with my PAP2 says the REN is 5.

    Ah, I was right the first time then. :) I could've sworn it was 5, but
    then not having the PAP2 right in front of me when I posted, I went to
    Amazon.com to check the specs, and they list it as 3.

    --
    E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
    Isaiah Beard, Mar 18, 2005
  12. Gary Dale

    Gary Dale Guest

    Lucas Tam wrote:
    > Gary Dale <> wrote in news:kZudnZbhi83y5qXfRVn-
    > :
    >

    >>>Only problem is that the REN (Ring Equivalence Number) is much lower on
    >>>the PAP2 and may not support the number of phones in your house. To
    >>>solve this problem, add up the REN of all the phones in your house and
    >>>see if it's lower than the REN of the PAP2. Most modern phones use <0.5
    >>>REN so this shouldn't be much of an issue for you.
    >>>

    >>Thanks. Only problem I've got now is that Vonage apparently can't
    >>transfer my current number to their system. They say that it's "not
    >>available in Canada (yet)". This doesn't seem to prevent them from
    >>advertising it though!

    > Number Portability is only advertised on Vonage.com... but not on Vonage.ca
    > ; )

    But it is advertised on the boxes they sell in the retail stores here. I
    talked with a Vonage customer support guy yesterday - at a local number
    - who told me it would be available today, but it wasn't. :( And today
    I can't get through to their local support staff (all our lines are busy).
    Gary Dale, Mar 18, 2005
  13. Gary Dale

    Gary Dale Guest

    Rick Merrill wrote:
    > Gary Dale wrote:
    > ..
    >

    >> Thanks. Only problem I've got now is that Vonage apparently can't
    >> transfer my current number to their system. They say that it's "not
    >> available in Canada (yet)". This doesn't seem to prevent them from
    >> advertising it though!

    > They can port some numbers but not all. Did they say "never"? If not,
    > ask them WHEN they will be able to port it.

    As Jerry Pournelle used to say "real soon now".
    Gary Dale, Mar 18, 2005
  14. Gary Dale

    Gary Dale Guest

    Gary Dale, Mar 18, 2005
  15. Gary Dale

    Lucas Tam Guest

    Gary Dale <> wrote in

    >> Number Portability is only advertised on Vonage.com... but not on
    >> Vonage.ca ; )
    >>

    > But it is advertised on the boxes they sell in the retail stores here.
    > I talked with a Vonage customer support guy yesterday - at a local
    > number - who told me it would be available today, but it wasn't. :(
    > And today I can't get through to their local support staff (all our
    > lines are busy).

    REALLY? Hmmm, Vonage or Linksys must have just used the packaging from the
    US boxes. From what I've heard on Vonage-Forums.com, number portability
    won't be available in Canada for some time!

    --
    Lucas Tam ()
    Lucas Tam, Mar 18, 2005
  16. Gary Dale

    Marc H.Popek Guest

    These items move very quickly!

    they are here now!

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5762061730&ssPageNam
    e=STRK:MESE:IT

    "Marc H.Popek" <> wrote in message news:...
    > They are moving so fast and perform well .. One of the larger re-sellers
    > has pointed out a feature that I had not mentioned before:
    >
    > "As the CLT unit is self powered from the Phone line, there is no path for
    > hum and noise to be picked up from the use of wall mounted transformers

    and
    > plug in the wall powered units"
    >
    > This is true
    > CLT provides the quietest switch in the industry and a real-world solution
    > for conveniently joining your voip and POTS service into a single
    > point...the CLT...surge protected to protect your equipment and easy to

    use

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5760803520&ssPageNam

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5753393677&ssPageNam
    > > e=STRK:MESE:IT
    > >
    > > "Marc H.Popek" <> wrote in message
    > > > Hello,
    > > >
    > > > Now you can join your low cost VOIP port and your local pstn port into

    > > > single port, automatically! The combine-a-line device combine two

    > > telephone
    > > > port and auto routes them to your favorite single line Telco gear.

    Some
    > > use
    > > > it too make single line phone operate on two phone lines, other join

    > voip
    > > > and pstn.
    > > >
    > > > In all cases, no power supply is needed so your desktop clutter is

    > > reduced!,
    > > > all port are surge protected to prevent damage to all of your

    equipment.

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5752429078&ssPageNam

    Marc H.Popek, Mar 20, 2005