    unused phone outlets and
    if that would bring connectivity to the rest of the outlets in the
    house?

    KraftDiner, Dec 31, 2005

  2. >Right now I have the Vonage / Motorola box connected to a wireless
    >phone base station. At this point non of the telephone outlets in my
    >house are connected. I was wondering if I could connect the motorola
    >box to one of the unused phone outlets and if that would bring
    >connectivity to the rest of the outlets in the house?

    So long as you are absolutely 100% sure that your inside wiring isn't
    connected to anything outside the house, yes, that will probably work
    assuming that your outlets are all wired together. I've done it.

    If your wiring does get connected to something outside, it'll likely
    blow out the box.

    John R. Levine, Dec 31, 2005

  3. KraftDiner

    KraftDiner Guest

    I guess I could make sure things are disconnected to the outside
    world...
    I just wasn't sure that wireing was designed such that the CO so to
    speak
    could be connected at any outlet.
    Any one have a schematic that might demonstrate a typical home
    connected
    to a CO?

    KraftDiner, Jan 1, 2006
  4. KraftDiner

    Rick Merrill Guest

    KraftDiner wrote:

    > I guess I could make sure things are disconnected to the outside
    > world...

    aND leave a NOTE to make sure no body else Reconnects the thing!

    > I just wasn't sure that wireing was designed such that the CO so to
    > speak
    > could be connected at any outlet.
    > Any one have a schematic that might demonstrate a typical home
    > connected
    > to a CO?

    Hmmmmm, maybe you're not ready for this...

    Rick Merrill, Jan 1, 2006
  5. Rick Merrill <> writes:
    > KraftDiner wrote:
    >
    >> I guess I could make sure things are disconnected to the outside
    >> world...

    > aND leave a NOTE to make sure no body else Reconnects the thing!

    Heck, I wouldn't stop at that. I'd just pull the wires inside and
    leave a dummy piece of cable sticking through the wall for the phone
    guys to play with if the mood so strikes them. (Thats essentially
    what I do. All the connections to the internal wiring safely go to a
    connection block inside my garage that is on the other side of the
    wall from the demarc. Nothing the phone techs do will cause their
    ring voltage to appear on any wires going to the analog phones.

    -wolfgang
    Direct SIP URL Dialing: http://www.wsrcc.com/wolfgang/phonedirectory.html

    Wolfgang S. Rupprecht, Jan 1, 2006
  6. KraftDiner

    KraftDiner Guest

    What is different about connecting at the phone companies demarkation
    point
    vs. connecting at a wall outlet? anything?
    (Assuming I have disconnected from the CO and that my connection block
    is not connected to the outside world at all.)

    KraftDiner, Jan 1, 2006
  7. "KraftDiner" <> writes:
    >What is different about connecting at the phone companies demarkation
    >point vs. connecting at a wall outlet? anything?
    >(Assuming I have disconnected from the CO and that my connection block
    >is not connected to the outside world at all.)

    Not much, no.

    The ATA device probably doesn't have anywhere close to the same
    ringer/signal drive as what bell would give you. They probably are of
    lower quality (certainly the PAP2 I got from my voip trunk provider
    for free is, very staticy, and the 1st port is bad, but I don't use
    the thing anyway).

    Of course, bell is on even if you don't have power, their DC plant
    will drive you for sometime.

    But for every thing else, your ATA hands off pretty much the same as
    what bell provides in reguards to your other pots phone sets.

    Doug McIntyre, Jan 1, 2006