    Is there a way that I can make windows ONLY detect my network.

    Thanks,

    Alan
    =?Utf-8?B?dHJpcHB3d2Y=?=, May 13, 2005

  2. Bump

    =?Utf-8?B?dHJpcHB3d2Y=?=, May 16, 2005

  3. Windows wireless zero configuration will only connect to a network in your
    preferred list. If your wireless adapter is within range of a number of
    wireless networks, there really isn't much that you can do to prevent them
    from using channel 6. However, just becuase your wireless adapter can see
    another network, it does not mean that that network is operating on the same
    channel or even causing interference. A surprising number of wireless
    devices can coexist on the same channel without issue. The 802.11 wireless
    protocol has measures to ensure a quality experience when multiple devices
    are within radio range. Cordless phones do not make use of this protocol
    though and this leads us to...

    The greatest and most common sources of interference on the 802.11b and
    802.11g spectrum are 2.4ghz cordless phones and counter-top microwave ovens.
    Unfortunately, it may prove difficult to convince your neighbors to remove
    those appliances or dictate their usage patterns.

    What makes you believe there is interferance on your network?

    Did you change the network name/SSID on the access point from the
    manufacturers default? If not, please do so.

    --
    Jerry Peterson
    Windows Network Services - Wireless

    Jerry Peterson[MSFT], May 16, 2005
  4. Hello,

    Thanks for the help. I am a network administrator so all the defaults have
    been changed. (I cant say the same for my neighbors though)

    I am pretty sure it is their networks causing problems because as soon as I
    change the setting to say anything but "Autodetect 108" and then change the
    channel to anything but 6, my signal on this computer goes from very low to
    very high. This consistently happens as soon as the channel is changed.

    Unfortunatly, on Netgears 108 wireless router, you can only use channel 6
    when you have it set to "Auto 108". If all devices in my house were 108,
    then I would use that and then change the channel. Unfortunatly, they arent,
    so I must use the auto 108.

    Have any other possible solutions?

    Thanks,

    Alan

    =?Utf-8?B?dHJpcHB3d2Y=?=, May 17, 2005
  5. What is happening that makes you believe there is interferrence? Does the
    connection suddenly drop, or are downloads taking 10 minutes for one
    megabyte? Characterizing the problem will help me understand the scope.

    The other question in the back of my mind is specific to Netgear's
    proprietary 108 functionality. The 802.11g specification allows for
    transmission rates of up to 54mbs. To reach 108mbs, they would need to
    perform some trickery which is not standards compliant. Devices that do not
    support their proprietary standard could seriously impact your expected
    throughput. Simply adding a non-Netgear device could bump you back to 11mbs
    speeds in less than a heartbeat. Do you have any non-Netgear devices
    participating in the wireless network? Do you have any Netgear devices or
    drivers in use that are not "108" capable? Are you using any form of
    wireless security to prevent other tenants from using your network?

    Jerry Peterson[MSFT], May 17, 2005
  6. Hello again,

    All devices are Netgear 108 compliant, except for a laptop that is rarely on
    / used. All netgear devices also have the latest firmware and drivers
    installed. Downloads arent too slow. I just cant get it to connect at
    anything above a low signal strength. There are no other forms of security
    on the network besides the SSID being turned off and the network being keyed
    with a crazy long password. Using the netstat -a cmd i see no rouge devices
    connected. The same goes for using Netgears "Attached Devices" screen.

    Thanks,

    Alan

    =?Utf-8?B?dHJpcHB3d2Y=?=, May 18, 2005
  7. Another possiblity is radio range. The 802.11g protocol has a provision to
    increase signal reliability. As signal strength drops, the devices will
    negotiate a slower connection speed. At the edge of radio range, your
    connection speed will typically be 1-2mbs.

    You can test to see if this is the behavior by moving a wireless client to
    within a few feet of the access point and noting the connection speed.

    Jerry Peterson[MSFT], May 31, 2005