Can hot pixels become dead pixels?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by kl_tom, Oct 4, 2006.

  1. kl_tom

    kl_tom Guest

    My story follows but to cut a long story short and not to bother you‚
    my question is simple : Can hot pixels become dead pixels?

    thanks
    oh and i know that there are sooo many “dead pixels†posts in forums but my
    none of them answered my question·
    ––

    I would like to know your opinion:
    i bought a brand new nikon coolpix s3 and i found out that it has 4 hot
    pixels together·
    the problem is that they only appear when i take pictures into complete
    darkness without flash and i put ISO100· it doesnt have
    shutter priority manual mode because it is only auto· the black
    pictures i shot were all into 2sec priority· the hot pixels appeared on all
    of them on the same spots·

    now the strange thing is that they are not very bright! i tested them
    with the “DeadPixelTest†program and it found the hot pixels only when
    it was set to “treshold for hot pixels: 20†which means that they have
    brightness around 17–22 · they also change birghtness if take less dark
    pictures·
    so probably these are hot pictures·

    is there a way to prevent hot or burnt pixels developing into my camera?

    my question is : can hot pixels become dead pixels?

    thank you in advance :)

    kl_tom, Oct 4, 2006

  2. kl_tom

    JohnR66 Guest

    I've had cameras that had hot pixels (I'm sure they all do, some just do
    better at hiding them with software). I've had cameras develope them later.
    I always take some test images in the dark when the camera is new to see if
    any show and I can compare with later images if something seems amiss.

    I'd gather if a pixel can change and become "hot", a pixel could also fail
    completly and become "stuck" or non responsive. I've never run unto this
    problem.

    I'm curious if anyone has had a pixel become actually stuck. Non responsive
    even in daylight exposures.
    John

    JohnR66, Oct 4, 2006

  3. Defective pixels are defective ... period. For several reasons, those
    photosites are not working as they should. One possible reason is
    contamination during wafer processing, another is a wafer flaw or flaws.

    No, there is nothing that users can do about this situation. Sub-micron
    lithography is a technological miracle and yet is flawed. The yield would
    drop far too low if every chip on the wafer had to be 100%. Low yields mean
    high prices.

    Manufacturers cull the really bad chips and map out (effectively turn them
    off) the defective photo sites on the "acceptable" chips. On a given
    imaging wafer, far less than half of the chips are without any defects
    whatsoever.

    The bottom line is image quality. Using software to test for troubled
    pixels is an exercise that mostly leads to frustration.

    Charles Schuler, Oct 4, 2006
  4. "JohnR66" <> wrote in message
    > I've had cameras that had hot pixels (I'm sure they all do, some just do
    > better at hiding them with software). I've had cameras develope them
    > later. I always take some test images in the dark when the camera is new
    > to see if any show and I can compare with later images if something seems
    > amiss.
    >
    > I'd gather if a pixel can change and become "hot", a pixel could also fail
    > completly and become "stuck" or non responsive. I've never run unto this
    > problem.
    >
    > I'm curious if anyone has had a pixel become actually stuck. Non
    > responsive even in daylight exposures.

    That's dead, not stuck. A stuck pixel is one that's always on, usually in
    one color, whether it should be or not. For example, one of my LCD monitors
    has a stuck pixel (blue), but it's not noticeable unless that area happens
    to be black or very dark.

    Neil

    Neil Harrington, Oct 5, 2006
  5. kl_tom

    Bill Funk Guest

    On Wed, 04 Oct 2006 20:47:40 GMT, "JohnR66" <> wrote:

    >I'm curious if anyone has had a pixel become actually stuck. Non responsive
    >even in daylight exposures.
    >John

    "Stuck" is always on, "dead" is always off, and "hot" is when a pixel
    lights up during 'stress'.

    But, no, I've been very lucky. No aberrant pixels.
    --
    Bill Funk
    replace "g" with "a"

    Bill Funk, Oct 5, 2006