    other purposes. What am I missing?

    Yong Huang
    , Dec 18, 2006

  2. Guest

    wrote:

    >I want to be able to search text in PDF files I have on my hard drive.
    >I heard that Google toolbar or something similar can do it. I installed
    >it but can't figure out where to start. All the fancy buttons are for
    >other purposes. What am I missing?

    Google tool bar doesn't allow you to search for text in your PDF's as
    far as I know.

    What it does (if you have it enabled) is searches your computer for
    any PDF, TXT, DOC and such files, then copies them to their server so
    you have access to them from anywhere. - something you really
    shouldn't allow.

    --
    3D Deutz engine animation
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMKbRIlzmic

  3. Plato Guest

    wrote:

    > I want to be able to search text in PDF files I have on my hard drive.
    > I heard that Google toolbar or something similar can do it. I installed
    > it but can't figure out where to start. All the fancy buttons are for
    > other purposes. What am I missing?

    Do not use toolbars.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Dec 18, 2006
  4. Null Guest

    wrote:
    > I want to be able to search text in PDF files I have on my hard drive.
    > I heard that Google toolbar or something similar can do it. I installed
    > it but can't figure out where to start. All the fancy buttons are for
    > other purposes. What am I missing?
    >
    > Yong Huang

    Open the directory with the PDF with windows explorer. Press the search
    icon (the magnifying glass). Select "All files and folders", *.pdf for
    file name, and enter the text for which you want to search. If you want
    to search subfolders, click "More advanced options" which also allows
    you to make your search case-sensitive. Press search and the files that
    match your criteria will be displayed in the explorer window. The
    ability to search for text in PDFs is built-in to windows.
    Null, Dec 18, 2006
  5. Guest

    Null wrote:
    > match your criteria will be displayed in the explorer window. The
    > ability to search for text in PDFs is built-in to windows.

    I tried. It failed to find the PDF file that has the text. But if I
    open that file with PDF reader, I can search and find it so it is text.
    I'm using XP Professional in office.

    Thanks to others for the caution that I shouldn't install Toolbar.

    What's the best tool to index PDF files then? Free, light-weight, not
    using a database, not too powerful.

    Yong Huang
    , Dec 19, 2006