    but neither computer can access the network.

    I have both set to obtain an ip address automatically.

    Suggestions?
    metspitzer, Jan 30, 2009

  2. Posting the results of ipconfig/all on both computer may help.

    --
    Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    http://www.ChicagoTech.net

    Robert L. \(MS-MVP\), Jan 30, 2009

  3. Hi
    The IPs that are used on a LAN side of a Router are private IPs (the
    192.168.x.x type).
    When a computer is connected directly to a Modem the working IP is an
    external Internet IP.
    An External IP can not work on a private LAN.
    Could be that your Modem is actually a Modem/Router combo and then the
    story is different.
    However without a detailed description of your system it is impossible to
    provide further advise.
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Jan 30, 2009
  4. metspitzer

    metspitzer Guest

    This is what I get when I type ipconfig/all
    Windows IP Configuration

    Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Winmx
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

    Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : 3Com EtherLink
    plete PC Management NIC (3C905C-TX)
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-01-03-D4-55
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    24.197.160.18

    I am pretty sure I am overlooking a step when changing from an
    automatic ip and a static one.

    Every time my modem goes out, the tech support expects me to be on one
    computer bypassing the router. So every time the modem goes down I
    change my setting to "obtain an ip address automatically."

    I had a working network using static ips, but the ready light on my
    modem started flashing. I called the tech support to come out and
    look at it after I went thru the troubleshooting steps at tech
    support.

    Right now, the computer I am using will connect while plugged into the
    modem, but when I plug it into the router I don't get Internet access.
    It will talk to the other computer which I have also changed to
    "obtain an ip address automatically"

    With both machines set to "obtain an ip address automatically" it
    should just be a matter of plugging the modem into the router, and
    plugging the computers into the router. Right?

    I don't remember the steps I follow when I reassign the ip addresses,
    but resetting the computer to "obtain an ip address automatically"
    should put me back to square one? Am I missing something else that
    has to be changed back in forth to assign a static ip?

    metspitzer, Jan 31, 2009
  5. metspitzer

    Jim Guest

    Replies inline---
    > This is what I get when I type ipconfig/all
    > Windows IP Configuration
    >
    > Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Winmx
    > Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    > Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown

    > Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    > Description . . . . . . . . . . . : 3Com EtherLink
    > plete PC Management NIC (3C905C-TX)
    > Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-01-03-D4-55
    > Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    > Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    > DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 68.114.38.210
    > 24.197.160.18
    >
    > I am pretty sure I am overlooking a step when changing from an
    > automatic ip and a static one.

    The results from ipconfig/all certainly were obtained when the computer was
    not connected to your router.

    > Every time my modem goes out, the tech support expects me to be on one
    > computer bypassing the router. So every time the modem goes down I
    > change my setting to "obtain an ip address automatically."
    >
    > I had a working network using static ips, but the ready light on my
    > modem started flashing. I called the tech support to come out and
    > look at it after I went thru the troubleshooting steps at tech
    > support.
    >
    > Right now, the computer I am using will connect while plugged into the
    > modem, but when I plug it into the router I don't get Internet access.
    > It will talk to the other computer which I have also changed to
    > "obtain an ip address automatically"
    >
    > With both machines set to "obtain an ip address automatically" it
    > should just be a matter of plugging the modem into the router, and
    > plugging the computers into the router. Right?

    No, the router must be configured correctly as well.

    > I don't remember the steps I follow when I reassign the ip addresses,
    > but resetting the computer to "obtain an ip address automatically"
    > should put me back to square one? Am I missing something else that
    > has to be changed back in forth to assign a static ip?

    Your machine is obtaining its ip address ( 24.178.137.140) automatically
    right now from the dhcp server at 68.114.38.210
    Most local routers assign ip addresses from the block 192.168.x.x.
    The reason that both of your machines can send messages back and forth is
    that both have ip addresses in the 24.178.137.x block.

    You will need to consult the router manual for instructions on how to setup
    the router.
    Jim

    Jim, Jan 31, 2009
  6. metspitzer

    metspitzer Guest

    On Fri, 30 Jan 2009 11:52:07 -0500, metspitzer <>
    wrote:

    >Because I use P2P I have a assign an ip to my computers. I do know
    >how to do this, but I always have trouble when the Internet goes down.
    >
    >My computer will connect to the Internet when it is plugged directly
    >into the modem, but when I plug the modem back into the router I don't
    >get Internet. The computers can talk back and forth on the network
    >but neither computer can access the network.
    >
    >I have both set to obtain an ip address automatically.
    >
    >Suggestions?

    I have a D-link router. There was a setting for "reset DHCP" I reset
    that and now everything is working.

    Thanks everyone.

    Now I have to assign ip addresses again, and hope I can remember what
    I did next time Charter goes down.
    metspitzer, Feb 1, 2009