    At the moment it is on 10mbit/s half duplex but I want 100mbit/s. How can I
    sort this out?

    Sim

    Sim, Oct 17, 2005

  2. Sim

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 17:08:49 GMT, "Sim" <>
    wrote:

    >I have 2 PC's on a LAN. One of them is a midi tower case a Realtek 8139, the
    >other is a micro-ATX with an onboard NVidia networking controller. I can
    >connect both PCs at 10mbit/s half duplex just fine but I cannot connect them
    >properly at 100mbit/s half duplex. I have even searched
    >PracticallyNetworked.com and found nothing that relates to this problem.
    >
    >With the main PC using the Realtek 8139 we had an older PC ages ago on the
    >other end, also using an 8139. This worked fine at 100mbit/s half duplex, so
    >this rules out any physical problem
    >
    >At the moment it is on 10mbit/s half duplex but I want 100mbit/s. How can I
    >sort this out?

    Are they connect directly or through a router?

    Is it possible the Nvidia is 10 half duplex?

    Evan Platt, Oct 17, 2005

  3. Sim

    why? Guest

    On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 17:08:49 GMT, Sim wrote:

    >I have 2 PC's on a LAN. One of them is a midi tower case a Realtek 8139, the
    >other is a micro-ATX with an onboard NVidia networking controller. I can
    >connect both PCs at 10mbit/s half duplex just fine but I cannot connect them
    >properly at 100mbit/s half duplex. I have even searched

    You don't want 100Mbps (note uppercase M) half duplex, go fo full duplex
    , it's more natural for 100Mbps.

    Although 100Mbps/HD is valid, it's an unusual combination and I have
    never need to set anything to that.

    >PracticallyNetworked.com and found nothing that relates to this problem.
    >
    >With the main PC using the Realtek 8139 we had an older PC ages ago on the
    >other end, also using an 8139. This worked fine at 100mbit/s half duplex, so
    >this rules out any physical problem

    Except maybe some funny Realtek thing (between 2 RT cards, which you
    don't have now) , for myself I always didn't care for Realtek 8139 , I
    always buy or move my Intel / 3Com cards to new PCs. I did once have
    someting later than an 8139 , which I can't remember , and no problems.
    Oddly enough Realtek Audio has been fine for my needs.

    >At the moment it is on 10mbit/s half duplex but I want 100mbit/s. How can I

    You have looked at the NIC driver properties and checked it isn't set to
    auto detect speed / duplex. Auto doesn't always work so it's better if
    possible to specify speed / duplex if possible.

    >sort this out?

    Explain how the 2 PCs are connected , x-over direct PC-Pc , vis a
    repeater , via a switch , on a switch on a ISP connected router?

    >Sim

    Me

    why?, Oct 17, 2005
  4. Sim

    Dan Evans Guest

    "Sim" <> wrote in message

    > With the main PC using the Realtek 8139 we had an older PC ages ago on the
    > other end, also using an 8139. This worked fine at 100mbit/s half duplex,
    > so this rules out any physical problem

    Not neccesarily. Try another cable and see what happens.

    > At the moment it is on 10mbit/s half duplex but I want 100mbit/s. How can
    > I sort this out?

    Look in the NIC properties in device manager - look on the "advanced tab"
    and check the media type. If it's se tto autosense, try forcing "100Mbps
    full/half duplex".

    Dan

    Dan Evans, Oct 17, 2005
  5. Sim

    Sim Guest

    "Evan Platt" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 17:08:49 GMT, "Sim" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>I have 2 PC's on a LAN. One of them is a midi tower case a Realtek 8139,
    >>the
    >>other is a micro-ATX with an onboard NVidia networking controller. I can
    >>connect both PCs at 10mbit/s half duplex just fine but I cannot connect
    >>them
    >>properly at 100mbit/s half duplex. I have even searched
    >>PracticallyNetworked.com and found nothing that relates to this problem.
    >>
    >>With the main PC using the Realtek 8139 we had an older PC ages ago on the
    >>other end, also using an 8139. This worked fine at 100mbit/s half duplex,
    >>so
    >>this rules out any physical problem
    >>
    >>At the moment it is on 10mbit/s half duplex but I want 100mbit/s. How can
    >>sort this out?

    > Are they connect directly or through a router?

    Directly

    > Is it possible the Nvidia is 10 half duplex?

    Its already set to that, and so is the Realtek 8139. But I want 100mbit/s
    and can't get it to work on both.

    Sim

    Sim, Oct 17, 2005
  6. Sim

    Sim Guest

    > You don't want 100Mbps (note uppercase M) half duplex, go fo full duplex
    > , it's more natural for 100Mbps.

    I have tried that. Same problem. It still won't connect properly.

    Sim

    Sim, Oct 17, 2005
  7. Sim

    Sim Guest

    "Dan Evans" <> wrote in message

    > "Sim" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> With the main PC using the Realtek 8139 we had an older PC ages ago on
    >> the other end, also using an 8139. This worked fine at 100mbit/s half
    >> duplex, so this rules out any physical problem

    > Not neccesarily. Try another cable and see what happens.

    Its a long cable going up from my bedroom to the attic and then down to
    another bedroom. It'll be a hard job trying a different cable.

    > Look in the NIC properties in device manager - look on the "advanced tab"
    > and check the media type. If it's se tto autosense, try forcing "100Mbps
    > full/half duplex".

    I have tried that and I can't get pings both sides.

    Sim, Oct 17, 2005
  8. Sim

    why? Guest

    On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 22:33:06 GMT, Sim wrote:

    >"Evan Platt" <> wrote in message
    >> On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 17:08:49 GMT, "Sim" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I have 2 PC's on a LAN. One of them is a midi tower case a Realtek 8139,
    >>>the
    >>>other is a micro-ATX with an onboard NVidia networking controller. I can
    >>>connect both PCs at 10mbit/s half duplex just fine but I cannot connect
    >>>them
    >>>properly at 100mbit/s half duplex. I have even searched
    >>>PracticallyNetworked.com and found nothing that relates to this problem.
    >>>
    >>>With the main PC using the Realtek 8139 we had an older PC ages ago on the
    >>>other end, also using an 8139. This worked fine at 100mbit/s half duplex,
    >>>so
    >>>this rules out any physical problem
    >>>
    >>>At the moment it is on 10mbit/s half duplex but I want 100mbit/s. How can
    >>>sort this out?

    >> Are they connect directly or through a router?

    >Directly

    You won't get FD on a cross over, IIRC, having never even of thought of
    trying something like that.

    >> Is it possible the Nvidia is 10 half duplex?

    >Its already set to that, and so is the Realtek 8139. But I want 100mbit/s
    >and can't get it to work on both.

    You may still have a Realtek - Nvidia issue at the end of it.

    As I said 100/HD is a really odd ball.

    Another post mentioned the distance between the systems.

    I would but a 100Mbps switch, plug 1 PC into it using a patch cable, and
    for the other PC on the long cable recrimp the x-over end to a patch.

    This way you have

    PC --patch cable - switch - long patch cable - PC

    >Sim

    Me

    why?, Oct 18, 2005
  9. Sim

    Sim Guest

    > On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 22:33:06 GMT, Sim wrote:
    >

    >>"Evan Platt" <> wrote in message

    >>> Are they connect directly or through a router?

    >>Directly

    > You won't get FD on a cross over, IIRC, having never even of thought of
    > trying something like that.
    >
    >>> Is it possible the Nvidia is 10 half duplex?

    >>Its already set to that, and so is the Realtek 8139. But I want 100mbit/s
    >>and can't get it to work on both.

    > You may still have a Realtek - Nvidia issue at the end of it.

    Probably so.

    > As I said 100/HD is a really odd ball.
    >
    > Another post mentioned the distance between the systems.
    >
    > I would buy a 100Mbps switch, plug 1 PC into it using a patch cable, and
    > for the other PC on the long cable recrimp the x-over end to a patch.
    > This way you have
    >
    > PC --patch cable - switch - long patch cable - PC

    I'm not much of a DIY person, and I've never done this before with cables.
    However I do have a crossover adapter.

    Sim, Oct 18, 2005
  10. Sim

    Richard Guest

    "Sim" <> wrote in message

    > "Dan Evans" <> wrote in message
    > >

    > > "Sim" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > >> With the main PC using the Realtek 8139 we had an older PC ages ago on
    > >> the other end, also using an 8139. This worked fine at 100mbit/s half
    > >> duplex, so this rules out any physical problem

    > > Not neccesarily. Try another cable and see what happens.

    > Its a long cable going up from my bedroom to the attic and then down to
    > another bedroom. It'll be a hard job trying a different cable.
    >
    > > Look in the NIC properties in device manager - look on the "advanced

    tab"
    > > and check the media type. If it's se tto autosense, try forcing "100Mbps
    > > full/half duplex".
    > >

    > I have tried that and I can't get pings both sides.

    leave it on auto, much better to troubleshoot. is the cable Cat 5 or
    higher? it's usually stated on the writing along the cable, if no writing,
    suspect.

    are both computers using hte latest versions of drivers?

    length of the cable, if it's too long signal is weak, or is the cable going
    close to large electronic appliances.

    Richard, Oct 18, 2005
  11. Howdy!

    "Sim" <> wrote in message
    > I have 2 PC's on a LAN. One of them is a midi tower case a Realtek 8139,

    the
    > other is a micro-ATX with an onboard NVidia networking controller. I can
    > connect both PCs at 10mbit/s half duplex just fine but I cannot connect

    them
    > properly at 100mbit/s half duplex. I have even searched
    > PracticallyNetworked.com and found nothing that relates to this problem.
    >
    > With the main PC using the Realtek 8139 we had an older PC ages ago on the
    > other end, also using an 8139. This worked fine at 100mbit/s half duplex,

    so
    > this rules out any physical problem
    >
    > At the moment it is on 10mbit/s half duplex but I want 100mbit/s. How can

    > sort this out?

    Simple. Buy a cheap 100Mbit switch and use it in the middle.

    The problem is that at least one side (probably the nVidia) is not
    waking up properly to 100Mbit without a switch to guarantee the 'heartbeat'
    is there at the proper time.

    Switches are cheap in the USA - dunno about where you live (since I
    dunno where you live) B)

    RwP

    Ralph Wade Phillips, Oct 18, 2005
  12. Sim

    Dan Evans Guest

    > for myself I always didn't care for Realtek 8139 , I
    > always buy or move my Intel / 3Com cards to new PCs. I did once have
    > someting later than an 8139 , which I can't remember , and no problems.

    Funny, I used to use 3C509 exclusivley until I had a bad run on them, then
    went to Realtek 8129 then 8139 and have only ever had one problem, and that
    was a MAC conflict

    Dan Evans, Oct 18, 2005
  13. Sim

    why? Guest

    On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 08:40:56 +0200, Dan Evans wrote:

    >> for myself I always didn't care for Realtek 8139 , I
    >> always buy or move my Intel / 3Com cards to new PCs. I did once have
    >> someting later than an 8139 , which I can't remember , and no problems.

    >Funny, I used to use 3C509 exclusivley until I had a bad run on them, then

    Always liked them, worked with every OS I threw at it.

    >went to Realtek 8129 then 8139 and have only ever had one problem, and that
    >was a MAC conflict

    :) The Intel Pro 1000/MT are good , The Netgear GA302T , failed 3 out
    of 4. 1 went up in smoke as the power was turned on. Others failed over
    a year or there about.

    Me

    why?, Oct 18, 2005
  14. Sim

    why? Guest

    On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 23:17:45 GMT, Sim wrote:

    >> On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 22:33:06 GMT, Sim wrote:
    >>

    >>>"Evan Platt" <> wrote in message

    >>>Directly

    >> You won't get FD on a cross over, IIRC, having never even of thought of
    >> trying something like that.

    >>>Its already set to that, and so is the Realtek 8139. But I want 100mbit/s
    >>>and can't get it to work on both.

    >> You may still have a Realtek - Nvidia issue at the end of it.

    >Probably so.
    >
    >> As I said 100/HD is a really odd ball.
    >>
    >> Another post mentioned the distance between the systems.
    >>
    >> I would buy a 100Mbps switch, plug 1 PC into it using a patch cable, and
    >> for the other PC on the long cable recrimp the x-over end to a patch.
    >> This way you have
    >>
    >> PC --patch cable - switch - long patch cable - PC

    >I'm not much of a DIY person, and I've never done this before with cables.

    It's not to hard, you just have to borrow the crimp tool and a few
    connectors to practice on.

    http://www.duxcw.com/digest/Howto/network/cable/cable5.htm
    nice colored pictures :)

    >However I do have a crossover adapter.

    You could try that, some switches also do autocross over so it should
    undo the cross in the long cable. Since they are so cheap, it may be
    worth getting one.

    The more joins / conversions may introduce other issues.

    BTW a tip for next time, unless it's a PC-PC removable x-over cable , or
    a short x-over as an adapter between 2 physically close boxes always
    make any long run cables patches :)

    Me

    why?, Oct 18, 2005
  15. Sim

    Dan Evans Guest

    > On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 08:40:56 +0200, Dan Evans wrote:

    >>Funny, I used to use 3C509 exclusivley until I had a bad run on them, then

    > Always liked them, worked with every OS I threw at it.

    I think I had a bad batch, was getting about 60% failure on them, so I
    switched and haven't had reason to switch back again

    > :) The Intel Pro 1000/MT are good , The Netgear GA302T , failed 3 out
    > of 4. 1 went up in smoke as the power was turned on. Others failed over
    > a year or there about.

    Marvell Yukon here, not had a problem yet. The virtual cable tester app
    rocks so far.

    Dan

    Dan Evans, Oct 18, 2005
  16. Sim

    Sim Guest

    "Richard" <> wrote in message

    > "Sim" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Dan Evans" <> wrote in message
    >> >

    >> > "Sim" <> wrote in message

    >> > Not neccesarily. Try another cable and see what happens.

    >> Its a long cable going up from my bedroom to the attic and then down to
    >> another bedroom. It'll be a hard job trying a different cable.
    >>
    >> > Look in the NIC properties in device manager - look on the "advanced

    > tab"
    >> > and check the media type. If it's se tto autosense, try forcing
    >> > "100Mbps
    >> > full/half duplex".
    >> >

    >> I have tried that and I can't get pings both sides.
    >>

    > leave it on auto, much better to troubleshoot. is the cable Cat 5 or
    > higher? it's usually stated on the writing along the cable, if no writing,
    > suspect.

    They are both Cat 5E

    > are both computers using hte latest versions of drivers?

    On my computer, yes, but on the other I don't know if my friend has got the
    latest version. He is getting the latest drivers, so I'll see what happens
    after.

    > length of the cable, if it's too long signal is weak, or is the cable
    > going
    > close to large electronic appliances.

    If it worked on 2 Realtek 8139s at 100Mbps I don't see that it can be a
    physical problem.

    Sim

    Sim, Oct 18, 2005
  17. Sim

    why? Guest

    On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 14:33:08 +1300, Richard wrote:

    >"Sim" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Dan Evans" <> wrote in message
    >> >

    >> > "Sim" <> wrote in message

    >> > Not neccesarily. Try another cable and see what happens.

    >> Its a long cable going up from my bedroom to the attic and then down to
    >> another bedroom. It'll be a hard job trying a different cable.
    >>
    >> > Look in the NIC properties in device manager - look on the "advanced

    >tab"
    >> > and check the media type. If it's se tto autosense, try forcing "100Mbps
    >> > full/half duplex".
    >> >

    >> I have tried that and I can't get pings both sides.
    >>

    >leave it on auto, much better to troubleshoot. is the cable Cat 5 or

    Set it to the same manual setting at each end, much better for trouble
    shooting. You know what you are working with and expecting.

    Unless you have some tester that can confirm the duplex settings, auto
    doesn't always play nicely.

    <snip>

    Me

    why?, Oct 18, 2005
  18. Sim

    Sim Guest

    My friend has tried the latest drivers and still no difference.

    Sim, Oct 18, 2005