    in firefox it calls IE to read it which I don't want. Any ideas? Is
    there a plug in or extension or some thing I can do to my firefox
    installation to make it work for me?
    John Toliver, Aug 30, 2004

  2. John Toliver

    Moz Champion Guest

    Re: Can firefox open .mht files? This is the proprietary formatthat ie uses to save pages as web mail.

    John Toliver wrote:

    > This is the proprietary format that ie uses to save pages as web mail.
    > It is called an web archive for email (.mht) it saves it in an
    > excellent format for offline reading but every time I try to open it
    > in firefox it calls IE to read it which I don't want. Any ideas? Is
    > there a plug in or extension or some thing I can do to my firefox
    > installation to make it work for me?

    Um, no. As you say its a proprietary format.
    If you want to send pages as webmail, then may I suggest Mozilla 1.7.2?
    Its what Firefox was derived from after all, and includes browsing,
    email/news and chat.
    Then you wont have to save files using IE.

    --
    Mozilla Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org
    Moz Champion, Aug 30, 2004

  3. John Toliver

    Andreas Guest

    John Toliver wrote:

    > This is the proprietary format that ie uses to save pages as web mail.
    > It is called an web archive for email (.mht) it saves it in an
    > excellent format for offline reading but every time I try to open it
    > in firefox it calls IE to read it which I don't want. Any ideas? Is
    > there a plug in or extension or some thing I can do to my firefox
    > installation to make it work for me?

    Try this, but I don't know if it will work. As Moz Champ says its
    proprietary to IE.

    Close Moz, open Windows Explorer, Click on Tools, Folder Options. Then
    click on the File Types tab. Scroll on down until you come across mht.
    Double click on it and double click on Open. Erase everything on the
    target line expect for any special endings, such as %1 or -url %1 or
    whatever. Change the target line for FireFox. If theres anything under
    DDE, remove them and uncheck it. You may have to reboot.

    If there is NO mht listing, then try and create one and see what happens.

    I can't guarantee that this will work, but its worth a shot. BTW I do
    not have a listing for mht in mine so I can't say for sure if it will
    work or not.

    Andreas

    To contact me remove the NOSPAM
    Andreas, Aug 30, 2004
  4. John Toliver

    Brian Guest

    Moz Champion wrote:
    > John Toliver wrote:
    >
    >> This is the proprietary format that ie uses to save pages as web mail.
    >> It is called an web archive for email (.mht) it saves it in an
    >> excellent format for offline reading but every time I try to open it
    >> in firefox it calls IE to read it which I don't want. Any ideas? Is
    >> there a plug in or extension or some thing I can do to my firefox
    >> installation to make it work for me?

    No. There is software out there to do it for you, but Mozilla and other
    browsers do not do this. Your only alternative is to save the entire
    page and archive it.

    > Um, no. As you say its a proprietary format.
    > If you want to send pages as webmail, then may I suggest Mozilla 1.7.2?
    > Its what Firefox was derived from after all, and includes browsing,
    > email/news and chat.
    > Then you wont have to save files using IE.

    If he wanted to send pages via "webmail" then why does it matter whether
    he uses Mozilla or Firefox? ;-) MHT saves the complete webpage to a
    single file; the images are encoded into it directly.
    --
    Brian

    http://68.1.17.8/p0nykiller/email.htm
    Brian, Aug 31, 2004
  5. John Toliver

    John Toliver Guest

    Thanks for the help. I ended up stumbling across this project in
    mozdev that does exactly this but in the mozilla flavor. here is the
    link

    http://maf.mozdev.org/index.html

    just in case someone else stumbles across this thread. thanks for the
    help. the reason I wanted to go ahead and use the format was to have
    a way to save my emails om my hard drive. I only want certain emails
    for offline use but for the most part I think it's easier to manage
    them all online through web mail plus it takes more overhhead off my
    cpu. this format preserves the files exactly as I would want to see
    them off line and it does it without much fuss. That way even if I
    were using a p166 or slower ishould have minimal problems and be able
    to get done what I needed.

    I'm actually trying to use my web browser as a total internet solution
    for basic stuff instead of instaling a suite of programs ie MOZILLA.
    Just another experiment.

    John Toliver, Aug 31, 2004
  6. John Toliver

    Brian Guest

    John Toliver wrote:
    > Thanks for the help. I ended up stumbling across this project in
    > mozdev that does exactly this but in the mozilla flavor. here is the
    > link
    >
    > http://maf.mozdev.org/index.html
    >
    > just in case someone else stumbles across this thread. thanks for the
    > help. the reason I wanted to go ahead and use the format was to have
    > a way to save my emails om my hard drive. I only want certain emails
    > for offline use but for the most part I think it's easier to manage
    > them all online through web mail plus it takes more overhhead off my
    > cpu. this format preserves the files exactly as I would want to see
    > them off line and it does it without much fuss. That way even if I
    > were using a p166 or slower ishould have minimal problems and be able
    > to get done what I needed.

    Oh, I guess I didn't understand your original post. I could have
    pointed you to that link in my post, but I was under the assumption that
    you wanted to be able to /view/ MS ".mht" files -- not /create/
    "something that is similar in nature to .mht files; something that
    provides the same functionality, but able to use with Mozilla" Sorry, I
    misunderstood what you were asking.

    Brian, Aug 31, 2004
  7. John Toliver

    John Toliver Guest

    It's ok. Sometimes I need to clarify myself a little more at times.
    I'm new to the whole usenet thing only a few months of actually
    visiting frequently, and I have to say, this is the best thing since
    sliced bread. You can give and get answers on just about anything!
    This saves sooo much time on reading and researching when you have
    problems. Anyway thanks for the help. Hope I can reciprocate in the
    future.

    Until next time,
    John T.

    John Toliver, Sep 1, 2004
  8. John Toliver

    VoltageSpike

    Joined:
    Apr 26, 2007
    Messages:
    3
    Because this thread ranks high in certain google searches for .mht and Firefox, thought I would offer this update.

    FireFox 2.0 will open .mht files. So for example, if someone sends me a .mht file, I can open it up with Firefox.

    FireFox 2 doesn't allow me to save in .mht format. There is an add-in called MAF (Mozilla Archive Format) for doing this, but it does not currently work in Firefox 2. There are some tricky workarounds to fool Firefox and run MAF, but what a pain. Hopefully this will be updated sometime soon to work with Firefox 2.

    But to answer the original question: Firefox 2 will open .mht files, based on my experience.

    Thanks,

    VS

    Email Encryption developer
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2007
    VoltageSpike, Jul 25, 2007
  9. John Toliver

    balkaster

    Joined:
    Aug 7, 2007
    Messages:
    1
    I believe you're mistaken. I have never had any luck getting Firefox to open MHT files. To test your claim, I created an MHT in IE, then tried to open it in Firefox 2.0.0.6 (the latest version as of this posting). Firefox responded as if I was attempting to download a file that it couldn't handle; my only option was to open in IE or save. It doesn't matter if you drag and drop the MHT on the Firefox icon, drop it on an open Firefox window, or attempt to open from the "File|Open File..." command. You get the same thing every time.

    If you really are able to open an MHT file in Firefox 2, you must have some extension present that enables this. It's not native to the browser. Mozilla was working on a MAF extension that would open and create MHT compatible files, but that was back in 2004, and I don't think it was ever made public.

    [EDIT] That said, I continued to research this and found several dozen forum posts about the Firefox 1.5 compatible MAF extension that suggest that it a) doesn't draw MHT files correctly, reducing the text to plain ASCII text without formatting, and b) the MAF files are not compatible with IE. I then found this: http://www.mediafire.com/?fgn3zx4ktzd. This is a third party reworking of MAF for Firefox 2. The images and CSS seem to be working, but my test file doesn't contain or reference scripts. The important thing is that it does enable Firefox 2 to open MHT. I haven't tested it in creating files, however. But the very fact that this extension exists proves my earlier statement: you are mistaken, Firefox 2 does not natively support MHT.
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2007
    balkaster, Aug 7, 2007
  10. John Toliver

    sebastian___

    Joined:
    Oct 15, 2007
    Messages:
    1
    If it's a proprietary format, how come the Opera browser can open and save the MHT format. And many times can do that better than IE. And for many years..
    sebastian___, Oct 15, 2007
  11. John Toliver

    tootle

    Joined:
    Nov 27, 2007
    Messages:
    1
    Hi, I found this thread via Google too and thought I'd add my own 2p...

    I'd saved some Photoshop tutes off the web as .mht files from IE5 and have just found out that IE7 doesn't open them properly - what worked for some files was to rename them to .eml and open in Thunderbird. For some other files though, the images were attachments that weren't shown. Need to investigate a bit more.
    tootle, Nov 28, 2007
  12. John Toliver

    AirRaven

    Joined:
    Mar 12, 2008
    Messages:
    1
    Apologies for yet another bump on this old thing!

    But, yeah. Just found this thread through Google, and I've found a (somewhat clumsy) solution- the IETab extension allows you to view .mht archives within Firefox perfectly well. No such joy with the creation of archives, but installing IE/Opera for that's no huge task as such.

    Hope that helped. :)
    AirRaven, Mar 12, 2008
  13. John Toliver

    Silly Rabbit

    Joined:
    Jun 3, 2008
    Messages:
    1
    Thanks AirRaven for the link. The thing is if you have problems with the mht file opening up in IE, like me then the IETab won't help you. Amazingly, Opera works really well even if u can't open the file in IE.
    Silly Rabbit, Jun 3, 2008
  14. John Toliver

    supert3d

    Joined:
    Nov 6, 2009
    Messages:
    1
    Location:
    Newtown, CT USA
    UnMHT :: Add-ons for Firefox

    I was looking for what everyone else was looking for in this thread. Something to open MHT files in Firefox.

    Wasn't too interested in the technical discussion. Proprietary format blah blah... Just give me what I asked for.

    For anyone else looking for UnMHT :: Firefox add-on. Enjoy !

    <script>window.location="https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/8051";</script> ( I can't post links LOL )
    supert3d, Nov 6, 2009