    Can Firefox 1.5 Beta be installed along side Firefox 1.0.6?

    Or will I need to uninstall Firefox 1.0.6?

    As anyone got them working together?

    Zygon Curry, Sep 13, 2005

  2. Zygon Curry

    Guest

    Zygon Curry wrote:
    > Can Firefox 1.5 Beta be installed along side Firefox 1.0.6?
    >
    > Or will I need to uninstall Firefox 1.0.6?
    >
    > As anyone got them working together?

    sort of :)

    for a reason that seemed to make sense at the time *
    I installed each into its own folder
    then used profile manager to set up a separate profile for each
    then modified the various shortcuts etc

    so now:
    1.5 beta 1 always opens using the profile "Main"
    1.06 always opens using the profile "Compatibility"

    note: only one version will run at a time
    eg: if 1.5 is already running, trying to start 1.06
    will open an additional 1.5 window
    and vice-versa

    * the reason being that some extensions aren't officially 1.5 compliant
    eg: if either "WebDeveloper" and "Smart Middle Click" are installed,
    my customised layout of the 1.5 toolbars reverts to the default

    , Sep 13, 2005

  3. uitte de volgende tekst op 13/09/2005 18:55:
    > Zygon Curry wrote:
    >> Can Firefox 1.5 Beta be installed along side Firefox 1.0.6?
    >>
    >> Or will I need to uninstall Firefox 1.0.6?
    >>
    >> As anyone got them working together?

    > sort of :)
    >
    > for a reason that seemed to make sense at the time *
    > I installed each into its own folder
    > then used profile manager to set up a separate profile for each
    > then modified the various shortcuts etc
    >
    > so now:
    > 1.5 beta 1 always opens using the profile "Main"
    > 1.06 always opens using the profile "Compatibility"
    >
    > note: only one version will run at a time
    > eg: if 1.5 is already running, trying to start 1.06
    > will open an additional 1.5 window
    > and vice-versa

    Almost correct. It is no problem to have them running at the same time,
    by setting
    set MOZ_NO_REMOTE=1
    and have a look at fflauncher, some explanation at

    It *is* a good idea to have different profiles for each though.

    --
    Hendrik Maryns

    ==================
    www.lieverleven.be
    http://aouw.org

    Hendrik Maryns, Sep 13, 2005
  4. Zygon Curry

    Guest

    Hendrik Maryns wrote:
    > uitte de volgende tekst op 13/09/2005 18:55:
    >> Zygon Curry wrote:
    >>> Can Firefox 1.5 Beta be installed along side Firefox 1.0.6?
    >>>
    >>> Or will I need to uninstall Firefox 1.0.6?
    >>>
    >>> As anyone got them working together?

    >> sort of :)
    >>
    >> for a reason that seemed to make sense at the time *
    >> I installed each into its own folder
    >> then used profile manager to set up a separate profile for each
    >> then modified the various shortcuts etc
    >>
    >> so now:
    >> 1.5 beta 1 always opens using the profile "Main"
    >> 1.06 always opens using the profile "Compatibility"
    >>
    >> note: only one version will run at a time
    >> eg: if 1.5 is already running, trying to start 1.06
    >> will open an additional 1.5 window
    >> and vice-versa

    > Almost correct. It is no problem to have them running at the same time,
    > by setting
    > set MOZ_NO_REMOTE=1
    > and have a look at fflauncher, some explanation at
    > http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=272498
    >
    > It *is* a good idea to have different profiles for each though.

    MOZ_NO_REMOTE=1

    :D golly - it works

    :D 1.5 AND 1.06 - each in a window side-by-side

    it's probably worth mentioning for others ( including the OP )
    MOZ_NO_REMOTE is a system environment variable
    so is set in the operating system, not in Firefox itself

    I haven't tried fflauncher - I already have each build/profile
    launched by its own icon, which *I* prefer, but others may
    find fflauncher a life saver :)

    , Sep 13, 2005
  5. uitte de volgende tekst op 13/09/2005 19:37:
    > Hendrik Maryns wrote:
    >> uitte de volgende tekst op 13/09/2005 18:55:

    >>> sort of :)
    >>>
    >>> for a reason that seemed to make sense at the time *
    >>> I installed each into its own folder
    >>> then used profile manager to set up a separate profile for each
    >>> then modified the various shortcuts etc
    >>>
    >>> so now:
    >>> 1.5 beta 1 always opens using the profile "Main"
    >>> 1.06 always opens using the profile "Compatibility"
    >>>
    >>> note: only one version will run at a time
    >>> eg: if 1.5 is already running, trying to start 1.06
    >>> will open an additional 1.5 window
    >>> and vice-versa

    >> Almost correct. It is no problem to have them running at the same
    >> time, by setting
    >> set MOZ_NO_REMOTE=1
    >> and have a look at fflauncher, some explanation at
    >> http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=272498
    >>
    >> It *is* a good idea to have different profiles for each though.

    > MOZ_NO_REMOTE=1
    >
    > :D golly - it works
    >
    > :D 1.5 AND 1.06 - each in a window side-by-side
    >
    > it's probably worth mentioning for others ( including the OP )
    > MOZ_NO_REMOTE is a system environment variable
    > so is set in the operating system, not in Firefox itself
    >
    > I haven't tried fflauncher - I already have each build/profile
    > launched by its own icon, which *I* prefer, but others may
    > find fflauncher a life saver :)

    The easy thing with fflauncher is that you are rid of choosing the
    profile each time. And you can use it for TB too (although I still
    didn't succeed doing the same trick with two TB versions)

    --
    Hendrik Maryns

    ==================
    www.lieverleven.be
    http://aouw.org

    Hendrik Maryns, Sep 13, 2005
  6. Zygon Curry

    Guest

    Hendrik Maryns wrote:
    > uitte de volgende tekst op 13/09/2005 19:37:
    >> Hendrik Maryns wrote:
    >>> uitte de volgende tekst op 13/09/2005
    >>> 18:55:

    >>> Almost correct. It is no problem to have them running at the same
    >>> time, by setting
    >>> set MOZ_NO_REMOTE=1
    >>> and have a look at fflauncher, some explanation at
    >>> http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=272498
    >>>
    >>> It *is* a good idea to have different profiles for each though.

    >> MOZ_NO_REMOTE=1
    >>
    >> :D golly - it works
    >>
    >> :D 1.5 AND 1.06 - each in a window side-by-side
    >>
    >> it's probably worth mentioning for others ( including the OP )
    >> MOZ_NO_REMOTE is a system environment variable
    >> so is set in the operating system, not in Firefox itself
    >>
    >> I haven't tried fflauncher - I already have each build/profile
    >> launched by its own icon, which *I* prefer, but others may
    >> find fflauncher a life saver :)

    > The easy thing with fflauncher is that you are rid of choosing the
    > profile each time. And you can use it for TB too (although I still
    > didn't succeed doing the same trick with two TB versions)

    er...
    may be I didn't make myself clear :)

    2 main launch icons on the Quick Launch bar:
    each bypasses the profile manager and opens
    the specific Firefox build with the specific profile

    one launches 1.5 with profile "Main"
    the other launches 1.06 with profile "Compatibility"

    so the only choice is which icon to click -
    the one on the left or the one on the right :)

    , Sep 13, 2005
  7. Zygon Curry

    Splibbilla Guest

    "" <> in news:dg76p7$m7i$:

    > 2 main launch icons on the Quick Launch bar:
    > each bypasses the profile manager and opens
    > the specific Firefox build with the specific profile
    >
    > one launches 1.5 with profile "Main"
    > the other launches 1.06 with profile "Compatibility"
    >
    > so the only choice is which icon to click -
    > the one on the left or the one on the right :)

    since i'd had multiple profiles already, i used that scheme when i had deer park and ff installed. (but dp had too many problems
    to use regularly) Profile shortcuts work well, and the dp icon was different, so easily discerned in launch menu

    i never ran ff and dp *simultaneously*, but very weird things happened when i treid alternating, dp then ff, using the same
    profiles! extensoins need installing in *both* dp and ff. some other weird things. all history now, i guess..

    Splibbilla, Sep 14, 2005