    option. I want to know if it is good practise ?

    Regards
    Pravin Pednekar

    Pravin Pednekar, Nov 15, 2004

  2. On 15.11.2004 15:57 Pravin Pednekar wrote

    > Hi,
    > We have EIGRP running in our network of about 60 routers. We are
    > facing problems with nework/route control and also load sharing. Can
    > any body tell me if replacing EIGRP with IBGP would be a bettre
    > option. I want to know if it is good practise ?

    BGP is not an IGP. If your EIGRP does not longer scale, have a look at
    OSPF or IS-IS.

    Arnold
    --
    Arnold Nipper, AN45

    Arnold Nipper, Nov 15, 2004

  3. Pravin Pednekar

    Ivan Ostreš Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Hi,
    > We have EIGRP running in our network of about 60 routers. We are
    > facing problems with nework/route control and also load sharing. Can
    > any body tell me if replacing EIGRP with IBGP would be a bettre
    > option. I want to know if it is good practise ?

    Don't get me wrong but I think that there's a lack of knowledge since
    we're running an EIGRP network with 150+ routers with strict route
    controls and load sharing.

    About IBGP: IBGP can be used as IGP, even eBGP can be used as IGP if you
    know how to do what you need. The thing to consider is that you will
    definitely loose possibility for unequal load balancing that only EIGRP
    (and IGRP) supports.

    I'm sure it is possible to solve all your problems using EIGRP, you just
    have to add some additional knowledge in it. The main problem with this
    protocol (belive me, I saw that more than once) is that is pretty simple
    to configure FOR SMALL NETWORKS. When networks become bigger,
    configuration is not that simple but you can achieve a lot of things by
    route filtering and other hierarchy mechanisms.

    --
    -Ivan.

    Ivan Ostreš, Nov 15, 2004
  4. In article <cnajn0$hv$>,
    Arnold Nipper <> wrote:
    >On 15.11.2004 15:57 Pravin Pednekar wrote
    >> Hi,
    >> We have EIGRP running in our network of about 60 routers. We are
    >> facing problems with nework/route control and also load sharing. Can
    >> any body tell me if replacing EIGRP with IBGP would be a bettre
    >> option. I want to know if it is good practise ?

    >BGP is not an IGP. If your EIGRP does not longer scale, have a look at
    >OSPF or IS-IS.
    >
    >Arnold

    Short answer: No, replacing EIGRP with IBGP is not a good option.

    Elaborating further, unless you have a pathological network topology,
    EIGRP should have no problems handling only 60 routers. If you have
    routing issues, it is highly probable that something is seriously
    wrong with your network. OSPF and IS-IS are far less tolerant
    of design errors, so expecting a change to either to result in
    performance improvements is likely to be a disappointment.

    http://www.networkingunlimited.com

    Vincent C Jones, Nov 16, 2004