    to the software (CMOS?) of the player.
    Has anyone ever heard of such a thing? Thanks.
    WS

    bernard spilman, Jul 12, 2004

  2. bernard spilman

    Biz Guest

    "bernard spilman" <> wrote in message
    news:eKAIc.150807$...
    > Just wondering if a disc containing corrupt files can do any
    > lasting damage to a standalone DVD player. Not physical,
    > like a marred surface scratching the head, but logical damage,
    > to the software (CMOS?) of the player.
    > Has anyone ever heard of such a thing? Thanks.
    > WS

    My instincts would say no way, unless the player was firmware upgradeable by
    disk, and teh disk contained routines to change the players firmware.

    Biz, Jul 12, 2004

  3. bernard spilman

    luminos Guest

    "Biz" <> wrote in message

    > "bernard spilman" <> wrote in message
    > > Just wondering if a disc containing corrupt files can do any
    > > lasting damage to a standalone DVD player. Not physical,
    > > like a marred surface scratching the head, but logical damage,
    > > to the software (CMOS?) of the player.
    > > Has anyone ever heard of such a thing? Thanks.
    > > WS
    > >

    > My instincts would say no way, unless the player was firmware upgradeable

    by
    > disk, and teh disk contained routines to change the players firmware.

    If the player's ROM has a bad recovery routine, the machine can become
    locked up. Usually a quick power down and up when pushing the eject button
    will fix that.

    luminos, Jul 12, 2004