    Messages:
    2
    I have a Dell Inspiron 2200 with a built in wireless card. We have three laptops in the house, the other two have the external network cards and can access the internet without any problems. Mine, however cannot. I have a D-Link DI-524 rounter and a D-Link ADSL modem and have spent time on the phone with D-Link trying to figure out the problem but we couldn't. They gave me an IP address, default gateway and and DNS to manualy enter. When I enter them my computer tells me that I am connected to the internet but when I open up any web browsers they come up 'page cannot be displayed.' Our wireless network is a secured network and it seems to be the only one I can't connect to. Everytime I use my computer somewhere that has an unsecured I can connect with no problems. I have windows XP on my computer and have tryed turning off all firewalls. Someone please help!! I feel like I've tried everything!!
    Ihatemystupidcomputer, Oct 12, 2006

  2. Ihatemystupidcomputer

    joe6840

    Joined:
    Oct 11, 2006
    Messages:
    12
    How is your router secured? Does it use mac addresses? Is the router hidden? If you un-secure the router are you able to connect?
    joe6840, Oct 12, 2006

  3. Ihatemystupidcomputer

    Ihatemystupidcomputer

    Joined:
    Oct 12, 2006
    Messages:
    2
    My router is not hidden. I have no idea if it can handle mac addreses since all we have are PC's and yes when it is unsecured my internet works. We want to leave our network secured though so I'd really like to figure out how I can connect onto our secure network. Please help!!
    Ihatemystupidcomputer, Oct 12, 2006
  4. Ihatemystupidcomputer

    joe6840

    Joined:
    Oct 11, 2006
    Messages:
    12
    mac address is something all computers have, not just apple computers. how is your router secured? to obtain the mac address of your computer, open cmd prompt and type "ipconfig/all" the physcial address is the mac address of your computer. if you connect to the router via wireless the router has to be open to your mac address. also, if the ssid of the router is set to "no broadcast", your pc must connect using the ssid address of the router.
    joe6840, Oct 13, 2006
  5. Ihatemystupidcomputer

    Mememe123

    Joined:
    Oct 13, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    Same but different

    Hello, it seems I have the same problem, only difference being that I'm not using wireless:
    All of a sudden my laptop (Dell Latitude 820D) no longer connects to the internet, even though I can see various other computers on the local network, and access shared files / printers etc. My desktop computer, which I´m using to write this, works & connects flawless to the internet, using the same switch as the laptop. Both are using cables to connect to the switch, which also check out fine.
    Tried reinstalling WinXP, then tried Ubuntu Linux, now I´m back to WinXP. No change. Networkdrivers up to date.
    When doing "ipconfig /all" the information that the laptop gives me corresponds to the info from the desktop machine (except the last digitgroup in the IP address as desired). I've tried typing my ISP's DNS information manually, still neither Firefox, IE or any other web application can connect. Turned WinXP firewall on/off - no effect.
    I've tried to connect to the wireless network at my university, which results in a "limited or no connectivity" warning, and a error log that states that "... not CTA compliant ... something something" - unfortunately I can't make much use of this info, no one I know has heard of any CTA driver / protocol thingy related to networking.
    Any clues to what might be the problem are welcome, or any hints to how I can troubleshoot some more (ping some address to check connectivity or whatever) - I'm out of ideas.

    Best wishes
    Mememe123, Oct 13, 2006
  6. Ihatemystupidcomputer

    joe6840

    Joined:
    Oct 11, 2006
    Messages:
    12
    have either of you tried to "restore" to a point where you could connect to the internet?
    i'll kick this around a little bit and get back to both with an answer i hope. in the mean time let me know if the problems are resolved.
    also, if anyone else out there would like to join in with their two cents you sure are welcome.
    joe6840, Oct 15, 2006
  7. Ihatemystupidcomputer

    joe6840

    Joined:
    Oct 11, 2006
    Messages:
    12
    also, both of you could go to www.networkmagic.com and download a free copy of network magic. it might help.
    joe6840, Oct 15, 2006
  8. Ihatemystupidcomputer

    joe6840

    Joined:
    Oct 11, 2006
    Messages:
    12
    to ihatemystupidcomputer:
    does the p/n on your router end in a1, b1, c1, d1, or e1. i want to take a look at the product online manual for the di-524 to see if it will help me understand your problem. if you can connect when your router is unsecure, the problem has to be in the settings. are you using wpa or wep security on your router? try to find out how your network is secured. if the mac address of your laptop is not in setup in the router you will not be able to connect.

    joe
    joe6840, Oct 15, 2006
  9. Ihatemystupidcomputer

    JimmyD

    Joined:
    Oct 15, 2006
    Messages:
    18
    First thing I would do is reboot the router - unplug the power cord for 5 - 10 seconds, then plug it back in. Do not remaove any ethernet cables.

    If that does not resolve it, download and run WinSockFix on the affected computer :

    Obviously, since you cannot acces the internet you'll need to use another machine and transfer the files to the "bad" one :)

    I have come across several instances where computers were unable to access the internet, but could access local network shares. Each of the fixwes above worked in different situations.

    Hope this helps,

    Jimmy
    JimmyD, Oct 16, 2006
  10. Ihatemystupidcomputer

    joe6840

    Joined:
    Oct 11, 2006
    Messages:
    12
    did any of JimmyD's or my ideas help? leave a post any let me know.
    joe6840, Oct 17, 2006
  11. Ihatemystupidcomputer

    JimmyD

    Joined:
    Oct 15, 2006
    Messages:
    18
    One more thing to try:

    Clean out Temporary Internet Files, and all Temp files - and I mean REALLLY clean 'em up!! - with CleanUp!

    http://www.stevengould.org/software/cleanup/download.html

    This is an awesome tool, and helps in many situations where strange things start to happen with a system.

    Note that it will empty the Recycle Bin, delete Internet history, cookies, Temp Internet files (ALL of them), .DAT files (INDEX.DAT etc.) within the Temp Internet Files folder, anything in a "TEMP" or "TEMPORARY" folder, on ANY drive (including USB drives and other partitions), ~$xxxx.doc files (leftover Word temp files), and many more. This program says what it does, and does what it says :). You will probably find that your system runs a lot faster after using this tool.

    I urge you to read the authors web page before running this tool. I have used it on MANY systems, and have never had a problem, but it does delete files, so use it at your own risk. If you save files in folders named "TEMP", or "TEMPORARY", they will be gone! So be careful :).

    Hope this is helpful,

    Jimmy
    JimmyD, Oct 18, 2006
  12. Ihatemystupidcomputer

    ProjectD

    Joined:
    Oct 23, 2006
    Messages:
    9
    Location:
    Sunshine State
    Similiar Problem:

    I have a Toshiba laptop (M105) with internal wireless card. I have Verizon DSL Service with wireless router. The router came with the DSL package therefore I am not sure about the brand. I setup an open wireless connection. The laptop saw my router and connected to it. But when I tried to open the browser, it can't connect to the internet.

    I had the correct SSID and disabled all firewalls. I can ping the router fine. When I looked the connection status page, it showed many internet packages had been sent, but only a few packages are received. My friend's laptop connected to my wireless router without any problems. I also had the same problem at Panera Bread with free wireless access.
    I don't know what type of setup that can be done to solve this problem. Any advices or helps are greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    ProjectD, Oct 23, 2006
  13. Ihatemystupidcomputer

    tomang

    Joined:
    Oct 27, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    I was having the same problem and was about to pull all of my hair out when I stumbled onto a very simple solution. This is what I did...

    Open network connections
    Right click on wireless connection
    Click "properties"
    Under "This connection uses the following items:"
    select "Internet Protocol(TCP/IP)"
    Click "Properties"
    Select "Obtain an IP address automatically"
    Click "OK"
    It worked for my problem. Hope it can help someone else.
    tomang, Oct 27, 2006
  14. Ihatemystupidcomputer

    surya23

    Joined:
    Nov 1, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    help me

    sir
    i hav two networks one reliance and second one is airtel.i hav sixteen pc attached on the reliance network.the airtel one is alone. i can acess airtel one from reliance network.i hav lan cable attached to airtel pc also.problem is how can i acess the airtel server frm the reliance server.plz help me as soon as possible.
    surya23, Nov 1, 2006
  15. Ihatemystupidcomputer

    alphabear

    Joined:
    Nov 16, 2006
    Messages:
    2
    similar problem

    I have a very similar problem. 2 pcs, desk top and lap on a wireless network. I was upgrading windows this weekend, XP home, successfully to service pack 2 and now I can't connect to the internet. The computer sees the network and says it's connected (and shows a great signal), but when I access IE, it gives a low or no connectivity mesg. The laptop still connects without problem (only 2 months old running XP pro). I have tried all but the suggested networkmagic and WinSockFix. I didn't want to reset the router since the laptop is working ok. Should I go ahead with the suggested fixes or does anyone have another suggestion???
    Thanks
    alphabear, Nov 17, 2006
  16. Ihatemystupidcomputer

    BrianKid

    Joined:
    Nov 22, 2006
    Messages:
    11
    I had the same problem.

    I fixed mine by formatting my computer and starting over... Nothing else worked for me. Keep trying to fix it though. Use that as a last resort.
    BrianKid, Nov 25, 2006