Can connect to internet, but can't see other PCs on my network

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Pete, Jul 16, 2005.

  1. Pete

    Pete Guest

    I have a network at home with 3 wired PCs (all XP-Home) and 1 wireless
    corporate laptop (XP-Pro). My old wireless router died in a lightning
    strike. I installed a new SMC Barricade wireless router. To complicate
    things, I've had my laptop re-imaged (reformatted and OS/apps re-installed).
    Now I can surf the net, but I can't see the wired PCs from the wireless
    laptop. My wired PCs can see each other without problem, but they can't see
    the wireless laptop. The laptop can ping loopback 127.0.0.1 and the router,
    and I can access the router admin program, but it can't ping the other PCs.
    I uninstalled Norton Firewall from one of my PCs - and I'm still unable to
    ping it.

    The workgroup is the same on all machines, the channel is same on network
    card and router, I have disabled router security and firewall, and I have
    File and Print Sharing enabled.

    After eliminating a bunch of possibilities, I decided to go buy a cheap UBS
    wireless adapter & test it on my laptop. It works fine - I can see the rest
    of my network with it. So that would lead me to believe my laptop's internal
    network adapter has some setting that would be preventing me from seeing the
    rest of my network.

    Any suggestions where to look?

    Thanks,

    Pete
    Pete, Jul 16, 2005

  2. Pete

    Clark Guest

    Have you checked what wireless security you might have in place?

    If you use a wired connection for the laptop does it change anything?

    Do you have the 802.1x security enabled?

    Clark

    Clark, Jul 16, 2005

  3. Pete

    Jack Guest

    Hi
    Since you can surf via the Wireless computer your Wireless is OK.
    Your problem thus as nothing to do with your Wireless it is a Sharing
    problem.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack, Jul 16, 2005
  4. Pete

    Clark Guest

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/learnmore/russel_02april08.mspx

    Clark

    Clark, Jul 16, 2005
  5. Pete

    Pete Guest

    I don't have wireless security enabled.

    A wired connection works fine.

    Pete, Jul 17, 2005
  6. Pete

    damballa

    Joined:
    Sep 29, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    I have the exact same problem

    I have the exact problem listed above. Did anybody figure out a fix for this? This is a brand new PC with a new D-Link wireless card.

    I can get to the internet fine. Can ping the gateway without issue. But cannot ping or connect to any other PC on the network. I can't even ping the IP address that was assigned to the new PC.

    So... did anybody find a fix for this?
    damballa, Sep 29, 2006
  7. Pete

    degsy

    Joined:
    Nov 7, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    Answer to connect to internet ok but not pcs

    I had the same problem and resolved this by going to LAN Connection properties and uninstalling TC/IP rebooting and then re-installing TC/IP
    degsy, Nov 7, 2006