    and offer to secure it for them?
    Thanks
    Jim

    javaheadjim, May 23, 2006

  2. Hi
    Put a general polite note in the mail box area and ask them to contact you.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., May 23, 2006

  3. javaheadjim

    Guest

    On 23-May-2006, "Jack \(MVP-Networking\)." <> wrote:

    > It sure would be
    > > nice to do it from home. Any suggestions?

    You connect ok but are you using the correct IP range?
    There are three reserved for private networks, address ranges.
    10.0.0.0 through 10.255.255.255 is one of them.

    , May 23, 2006
  4. javaheadjim

    javaheadjim Guest

    At this complex everyone has there own mail box. Any other ideas?

    javaheadjim, May 25, 2006
  5. javaheadjim

    javaheadjim Guest

    Doesn't the router assign the IP address when you connect if the pool
    has any available?
    Thanks
    Jim

    javaheadjim, May 25, 2006
  6. javaheadjim

    jimbo Guest

    javaheadjim wrote:
    > Folks,
    > I just moved into an apartment and won't have my FIOS until June 1st.
    > I've found two unsecured wireless networks that I can connect to.
    > However once connected I can neither send/receive email or access the
    > internet. I've done this in the past with no problem. I plan on
    > informing them once I find out who they are. In the interim I'm
    > shlepping my laptop around to Starbucks and the like. It sure would be
    > nice to do it from home. Any suggestions? Also, short of knocking on
    > everyone's door, is there an easy way to notify them of their problem
    > and offer to secure it for them?
    > Thanks
    > Jim

    The network(s) may not have WEP or WPA enabled but could still be
    blocking you. Maybe an IP address filter. Also regarding E-mail, you
    probably don't have the correct SMTP server specified. Some ISPs will
    not forward E-Mail to servers other than their own. And I would be
    careful about letting anyone know you are trying to use their network.
    I believe it is illegal to do so without their permission.

    Good luck, jimbo

    jimbo, May 25, 2006