    Allen Tomlinson

    remove (now) from above

    , Nov 19, 2003

  2. °Mike° Guest

    Reception Advice
    http://www.aerialservices.co.uk/pages/recepadv.html

    Computer Equipment Interference
    http://www.aca.gov.au/radcomm/publications/better_tv_radio/tv_computer.html

    On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 17:56:08 +0000, in
    <>
    scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Nov 19, 2003

  3. EricP Guest

    On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 17:56:08 +0000, wrote:

    >A very grumpy old fella across from me came over and stated that when
    >I put my computer on - it ruins his reception on channel 5.....?
    >I have no 'technical knowledge' to wholly refute this and I feel that
    >I need to offer him proof...either way with this. In fact channel 5 is
    >always difficult to pick up or get a good picture around here.
    >So, does anyone know if computers or internet will affect TV
    >reception? (Area = Bircotes/Harworth, Doncaster.
    >Thanks for any speedy advice.
    >
    >Allen Tomlinson
    >
    >remove (now) from above

    Tell him to contact the TV Interference people who will investigate
    for him. Either way, it's probably his cheap equipment and not yours.

    EricP, Nov 19, 2003
  4. chrisrobin Guest

    It can interfere. My own experience, when i work on some computers in my
    work room with the motherboard out on the table for testing it would
    interfere with my tv w/dtv. but when its in the case is ok.

    chrisrobin, Nov 19, 2003
  5. Ray Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > A very grumpy old fella across from me came over and stated that when
    > I put my computer on - it ruins his reception on channel 5.....?
    > I have no 'technical knowledge' to wholly refute this and I feel that
    > I need to offer him proof...either way with this. In fact channel 5 is
    > always difficult to pick up or get a good picture around here.
    > So, does anyone know if computers or internet will affect TV
    > reception? (Area = Bircotes/Harworth, Doncaster.
    > Thanks for any speedy advice.
    >
    > Allen Tomlinson
    >
    > remove (now) from above

    Allen, there's an easy way to check this out. If you are on speaking terms
    with the guy get him to switch to ch5 without your computer operating and
    then check out for any change when you switch on your PC.

    Another point, do you know the transmitter serving your area, my guess that
    it is either 'Belmont' or 'Emley Moor' or could be a relay from either one
    of these main stations.

    All PCs put out a ceratin amount of RF and from personal experience I can
    confirm that the RF put out by my PC does cause TVI on the frequency used by
    'Emley Moor' to transmit Ch5.
    If you both use analogue TV check it out on your own TV first.

    If it does not cause you problems, tell him to get his aerial checked out.
    If he uses an indoor aerial, tell him to get an outdoor one.

    You are not legally responsible for his problems, unless it can be proved
    that you system is defective.

    I thought my wife was the only person who watches channel 5:)

    Ray, Nov 19, 2003
  6. Yes, of course!

    Not Nice Anymore, Nov 19, 2003
  7. Anonymous Guest

    Allen,

    All electrical equipment (including your PC and monitor) has to be
    tested for electro Magnetic Compatability (EMC) and be CE marked
    before it can be legally sold in the EEC. The CE mark is all the proof
    that you need to show that your PC is not affecting his TV.

    Regards

    nemo

    Anonymous, Nov 19, 2003
  8. Guest

    On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 17:56:08 +0000, wrote:

    >A very grumpy old fella across from me came over and stated that when
    >I put my computer on - it ruins his reception on channel 5.....?
    >I have no 'technical knowledge' to wholly refute this and I feel that
    >I need to offer him proof...either way with this. In fact channel 5 is
    >always difficult to pick up or get a good picture around here.
    >So, does anyone know if computers or internet will affect TV
    >reception? (Area = Bircotes/Harworth, Doncaster.
    >Thanks for any speedy advice.
    >
    >Allen Tomlinson
    >
    >remove (now) from above

    A very grateful thanks to all respondents on this Q.
    I will approach the guy tomorrow and pursue the good advice given.
    Once again, thankyou to everyone!

    Allen Tomlinson

    remove (now) from above

    , Nov 19, 2003
  9. Re: Can computer or Internet interfere with other peoples TV reception(channel 5)?

    EricP wrote:

    > On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 17:56:08 +0000, wrote:

    >>A very grumpy old fella across from me came over and stated that when
    >>I put my computer on - it ruins his reception on channel 5.....?
    >>I have no 'technical knowledge' to wholly refute this and I feel that
    >>I need to offer him proof...either way with this. In fact channel 5 is
    >>always difficult to pick up or get a good picture around here.
    >>So, does anyone know if computers or internet will affect TV
    >>reception? (Area = Bircotes/Harworth, Doncaster.
    >>Thanks for any speedy advice.

    > Tell him to contact the TV Interference people who will investigate
    > for him. Either way, it's probably his cheap equipment and not yours.

    I think you're right... but here's an interesting thing.....
    According to the FCC's setup for broadcast TV signals:
    Chnl 5 ---- 76-82 Mhz

    Sooo.... Unless theres some equipment throwing off REALLY strong signals
    in that range, and to be frank, I can't think of anything offhand...
    Yeah, its more than likely the old fart's prob to solve.

    Now, there IS a possibility the system is creating the signal somehow
    and throwing it backwards into the power line. Again, that's more than
    likely a sensitivity problem on the old fart's part to solve.

    Maybe a power filter (UPS, PowerStrip) might be worth investing in as a
    good faith offer. If that doesn't work, he can always have the FCC come
    down and sniff the air for stray RFI.

    BuffNET Technical Support Supervisor
    (BEHOLD! The power of the BOFH!)

    BuffNET Tech Support - MichaelJ, Nov 20, 2003
  10. BuffNET Tech Support - MichaelJ Spilled my beer when they jumped on
    the table and proclaimed in <>:

    > EricP wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 17:56:08 +0000, wrote:

    >>>A very grumpy old fella across from me came over and stated that
    >>>when I put my computer on - it ruins his reception on channel
    >>>5.....? I have no 'technical knowledge' to wholly refute this and I
    >>>feel that I need to offer him proof...either way with this. In fact
    >>>channel 5 is always difficult to pick up or get a good picture
    >>>around here. So, does anyone know if computers or internet will
    >>>affect TV
    >>>reception? (Area = Bircotes/Harworth, Doncaster.
    >>>Thanks for any speedy advice.

    >> Tell him to contact the TV Interference people who will investigate
    >> for him. Either way, it's probably his cheap equipment and not
    >> yours.

    > I think you're right... but here's an interesting thing.....
    > According to the FCC's setup for broadcast TV signals:
    > Chnl 5 ---- 76-82 Mhz
    >
    > Sooo.... Unless theres some equipment throwing off REALLY strong
    > signals in that range, and to be frank, I can't think of anything
    > offhand... Yeah, its more than likely the old fart's prob to solve.
    >
    > Now, there IS a possibility the system is creating the signal
    > somehow and throwing it backwards into the power line. Again, that's
    > more than likely a sensitivity problem on the old fart's part to
    > solve.
    >
    > Maybe a power filter (UPS, PowerStrip) might be worth investing in
    > as a good faith offer. If that doesn't work, he can always have the
    > FCC come down and sniff the air for stray RFI.

    Problem is, the OP is in England. <G>

    But you're basically correct, except the freqs may be different...

    NOI

    Thund3rstruck, Nov 20, 2003
  11. Barry OGrady Guest

    > On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 17:56:08 +0000, wrote:

    >A very grumpy old fella across from me came over and stated that when
    >I put my computer on - it ruins his reception on channel 5.....?
    >I have no 'technical knowledge' to wholly refute this and I feel that
    >I need to offer him proof...either way with this. In fact channel 5 is
    >always difficult to pick up or get a good picture around here.
    >So, does anyone know if computers or internet will affect TV
    >reception? (Area = Bircotes/Harworth, Doncaster.
    >Thanks for any speedy advice.

    Channel 5 is 107 Mhz which is also part of the FM broadcast band.

    -Barry
    ========

    Barry OGrady, Nov 20, 2003
  12. Re: Can computer or Internet interfere with other peoples TV reception(channel 5)?

    Thund3rstruck wrote:

    >>>Tell him to contact the TV Interference people who will investigate
    >>>for him. Either way, it's probably his cheap equipment and not
    >>>yours.

    >>I think you're right... but here's an interesting thing.....
    >>According to the FCC's setup for broadcast TV signals:
    >>Chnl 5 ---- 76-82 Mhz
    >>Sooo.... Unless theres some equipment throwing off REALLY strong
    >>signals in that range, and to be frank, I can't think of anything
    >>offhand... Yeah, its more than likely the old fart's prob to solve.
    >>Now, there IS a possibility the system is creating the signal
    >>somehow and throwing it backwards into the power line. Again, that's
    >>more than likely a sensitivity problem on the old fart's part to
    >>solve.
    >>Maybe a power filter (UPS, PowerStrip) might be worth investing in
    >>as a good faith offer. If that doesn't work, he can always have the
    >>FCC come down and sniff the air for stray RFI.

    > Problem is, the OP is in England. <G>

    (BLINK!!!) D`OH!! I guess I didn't hear the accent. (Smirk) Yeah,
    somehow "Doncaster" doesn't sounds American, now that I double check.

    > But you're basically correct, except the freqs may be different...

    Yeah, dif freqs (Didn't look them up), but should still be on the O.F.'s
    side to fix.

    BuffNET Tech Support - MichaelJ, Nov 20, 2003