    computer but not the CISCO!! Am I right.. I think I need something
    else beside the CISCO router! what is it?? I do not know

    Thanks a lot.
    esara, May 20, 2004

  2. In article <>,
    esara <> wrote:
    :I am very confused about CISCO router. I have a CISCO 1600 router and
    :what I see in the back of the router the following ports/outputs:

    :10baseT, Ethernet0, AUI, serial0, console, flashPC card, 14v VDC

    :Why I am confused! becuase lets say we have 4 computers, how can I
    :connect them using CISCO router. I have linkSys router and it has WAN,
    :LAN, and 4 RJ45 ports, so I can use linkSys router to coonect these
    :computer but not the CISCO!! Am I right.. I think I need something
    :else beside the CISCO router! what is it?? I do not know

    The Linksys router has a built-in four-port switch. It combines
    two devices into one: router and switch. Your 1600 is *just* a router.
    Your 1600 is configured for *just* connecting a local network
    to a remote network. If the four computers you want to configure
    are all part of your local network, then what you need to add is
    a switch (or hub, but that's not as good). If the four computers
    are all in the same IP subnet, then to get them to talk together,
    you do not need a router at all. You would use a router to connect
    together networks with -different- IP subnets.
    -- Rich Kulawiec
    Walter Roberson, May 20, 2004

  3. esara

    ec Guest

    > In article <>,
    > esara <> wrote:
    > :I am very confused about CISCO router. I have a CISCO 1600 router and
    > :what I see in the back of the router the following ports/outputs:
    >
    > :10baseT, Ethernet0, AUI, serial0, console, flashPC card, 14v VDC
    >
    > :Why I am confused! becuase lets say we have 4 computers, how can I
    > :connect them using CISCO router. I have linkSys router and it has WAN,
    > :LAN, and 4 RJ45 ports, so I can use linkSys router to coonect these
    > :computer but not the CISCO!! Am I right.. I think I need something
    > :else beside the CISCO router! what is it?? I do not know
    >
    > The Linksys router has a built-in four-port switch. It combines
    > two devices into one: router and switch. Your 1600 is *just* a router.
    > Your 1600 is configured for *just* connecting a local network
    > to a remote network. If the four computers you want to configure
    > are all part of your local network, then what you need to add is
    > a switch (or hub, but that's not as good). If the four computers
    > are all in the same IP subnet, then to get them to talk together,
    > you do not need a router at all. You would use a router to connect
    > together networks with -different- IP subnets.
    > --
    > Any sufficiently advanced bug is indistinguishable from a feature.
    > -- Rich Kulawiec

    Lets not forget that the 1600 is a real router too :p
    ec, May 21, 2004