    camera era? Although I think he is having me on, if it is possible, can
    anything be done to minimize such a risk with an old bag?

    Thanks for your help.
    Creative, Oct 8, 2006

  2. Creative

    Paul Rubin Guest

    "Creative" <> writes:
    > My friendly camera dealer told me that I should really get a new
    > camera bag as my present (oldish) Point Professional camera bag does
    > not have the anti-static properties of modern bags that are designed
    > for use with digital cameras. He told me that putting the camera in,
    > and pulling it out of the bag, can create an electrical charge that
    > has the potential to erase the data from memory sticks etc.

    Hahahahaha, that's a new one, I haven't heard it before. The static
    would be much more likely to kill the microprocessors that have been
    present in cameras since the 1980's or so.
    Paul Rubin, Oct 8, 2006

  3. Creative <> wrote:

    : Can anyone tell me please, whether it's possible for a camera's memory
    : stick to be erased by camera bags that were manufactured prior to the
    : digital camera era? Although I think he is having me on, if it is
    : possible, can anything be done to minimize such a risk with an old bag?

    : Thanks for your help.

    You now know who's advice to not trust. This is one person who will always
    put increasing profit over being conciencious about their customer.

    If memory cards were that poorly designed that this low level of static
    would cause damage, every card you have would blow up every time a thunder
    storm passed overhead. Yes there is a small amount of static that can be
    built up with the friction of inserting the camera and replacing it. But
    you can actually generate much more static by pulling a strip of tape from
    a roll of cellophane tape. And don't forget that if this is that much of a
    problem you must avoid wearing any clothing that could rub against itself
    or your skin and build a charge. Also never walk over carpeting. :)

    If you are really that nervous, about a static charge in your camera bag,
    there are several brands of anti static sprays for clothing or fabrics. Or
    just keep an anti static fabric softener sheet in the bag. Also since
    staic is much more prevalent in a dry humidity situation, just keep a
    moist spongue in your bag to keep the interior air moist. :)

    The most vulnerable time for a stray electric charge to damage a memory
    card is when it is seperate from the camera and being handled. If the
    handler has a charge on their person, and touch one or more of the contact
    points, and other contacts contact a grounding surface it might be
    possible to jolt the card, but you would really have to try to do this
    kind of damage.

    JMHO

    Randy

    ==========
    Randy Berbaum
    Champaign, IL
    Randy Berbaum, Oct 8, 2006
  4. Creative

    Guest

    Creative wrote:
    > My friendly camera dealer told me that I should really get a new camera bag
    > as my present (oldish) Point Professional camera bag does not have the
    > anti-static properties of modern bags that are designed for use with digital
    > cameras. He told me that putting the camera in, and pulling it out of the
    > bag, can create an electrical charge that has the potential to erase the
    > data from memory sticks etc.
    >
    > Now he might be just wanting to promote sales of new Lowepro camera bags,
    > but he said he had actually seen cases of erased memory sticks that had
    > probably been caused by the use of old camera bags.
    >
    > Can anyone tell me please, whether it's possible for a camera's memory stick
    > to be erased by camera bags that were manufactured prior to the digital
    > camera era? Although I think he is having me on, if it is possible, can
    > anything be done to minimize such a risk with an old bag?
    >
    > Thanks for your help.

    I once left a Sony memory stick in my shirt pocket, I only discovered my
    mistake after the shirt had been washed on a 40c cycle, spin dried and
    ironed. I put the memory stick into my card reader and it turned out to
    be ok, the photos were still on the card with no errors.
    , Oct 8, 2006
  5. Creative

    bongo rule Guest

    <> wrote in message news:DX3Wg.7117$...
    > Creative wrote:
    >> My friendly camera dealer told me that I should really get a new camera bag
    >> as my present (oldish) Point Professional camera bag does not have the
    >> anti-static properties of modern bags that are designed for use with digital
    >> cameras. He told me that putting the camera in, and pulling it out of the
    >> bag, can create an electrical charge that has the potential to erase the
    >> data from memory sticks etc.
    >>
    >> Now he might be just wanting to promote sales of new Lowepro camera bags,
    >> but he said he had actually seen cases of erased memory sticks that had
    >> probably been caused by the use of old camera bags.
    >>
    >> Can anyone tell me please, whether it's possible for a camera's memory stick
    >> to be erased by camera bags that were manufactured prior to the digital
    >> camera era? Although I think he is having me on, if it is possible, can
    >> anything be done to minimize such a risk with an old bag?
    >>
    >> Thanks for your help.
    >>

    > I once left a Sony memory stick in my shirt pocket, I only discovered my
    > mistake after the shirt had been washed on a 40c cycle, spin dried and
    > ironed. I put the memory stick into my card reader and it turned out to
    > be ok, the photos were still on the card with no errors.

    at least you know that you have no dirty pictures on the card :)
    bongo rule, Oct 8, 2006
  6. wrote:
    []
    > I once left a Sony memory stick in my shirt pocket, I only discovered
    > my mistake after the shirt had been washed on a 40c cycle, spin dried
    > and ironed. I put the memory stick into my card reader and it turned
    > out to be ok, the photos were still on the card with no errors.

    .... but, perhaps a little lighter, or desaturated?

    <G>
    David J Taylor, Oct 8, 2006
  7. Creative

    Jer Guest

    Creative wrote:
    > My friendly camera dealer told me that I should really get a new camera bag
    > as my present (oldish) Point Professional camera bag does not have the
    > anti-static properties of modern bags that are designed for use with digital
    > cameras. He told me that putting the camera in, and pulling it out of the
    > bag, can create an electrical charge that has the potential to erase the
    > data from memory sticks etc.
    >
    > Now he might be just wanting to promote sales of new Lowepro camera bags,
    > but he said he had actually seen cases of erased memory sticks that had
    > probably been caused by the use of old camera bags.
    >
    > Can anyone tell me please, whether it's possible for a camera's memory stick
    > to be erased by camera bags that were manufactured prior to the digital
    > camera era? Although I think he is having me on, if it is possible, can
    > anything be done to minimize such a risk with an old bag?
    >
    > Thanks for your help.

    Would you do me (and your sales droid) a favor? Send me an email to let
    me know where this induhvidual is, and I'll send a bitch slap to
    somebody who deserves one for trying to sell this crock of shiat.

    --
    jer
    email reply - I am not a 'ten'
    Jer, Oct 8, 2006
  8. In article <4528a39c$>, Creative <>
    wrote:

    > Can anyone tell me please, whether it's possible for a camera's memory stick
    > to be erased by camera bags that were manufactured prior to the digital
    > camera era? Although I think he is having me on, if it is possible, can
    > anything be done to minimize such a risk with an old bag?

    Only if your home computer uses a mouse pad that isn't "Internet
    ready." (Yes, I've really seen them marketed that way).

    Seriously, I'd be more worried about being hit by a meteorite.
    Scott Schuckert, Oct 8, 2006
  9. "Creative" <> wrote in message
    > My friendly camera dealer told me that I should really get a new camera
    > bag as my present (oldish) Point Professional camera bag does not have the
    > anti-static properties of modern bags that are designed for use with
    > digital cameras. He told me that putting the camera in, and pulling it out
    > of the bag, can create an electrical charge that has the potential to
    > erase the data from memory sticks etc.
    >
    > Now he might be just wanting to promote sales of new Lowepro camera bags,
    > but he said he had actually seen cases of erased memory sticks that had
    > probably been caused by the use of old camera bags.
    >
    > Can anyone tell me please, whether it's possible for a camera's memory
    > stick to be erased by camera bags that were manufactured prior to the
    > digital camera era? Although I think he is having me on, if it is
    > possible, can anything be done to minimize such a risk with an old bag?
    >
    > Thanks for your help.

    this one is similar like that credit cards can be erased by having them in a
    wallet made of ....certain electric fish skin.... (can't remember name...)
    it was on Discovery channel (mythbusters) and it was totally busted.
    Protoncek \(ex.SleeperMan\), Oct 8, 2006
  10. Creative

    Bill Funk Guest

    On Sun, 8 Oct 2006 20:07:10 +1300, "Creative" <>
    wrote:

    >My friendly camera dealer told me that I should really get a new camera bag
    >as my present (oldish) Point Professional camera bag does not have the
    >anti-static properties of modern bags that are designed for use with digital
    >cameras. He told me that putting the camera in, and pulling it out of the
    >bag, can create an electrical charge that has the potential to erase the
    >data from memory sticks etc.

    Didn't he use to work in a computer store?
    I think he tried to sell me "digital speakers."
    --
    Bill Funk
    replace "g" with "a"
    Bill Funk, Oct 8, 2006
  11. Creative

    Marvin Guest

    Creative wrote:
    > My friendly camera dealer told me that I should really get a new camera bag
    > as my present (oldish) Point Professional camera bag does not have the
    > anti-static properties of modern bags that are designed for use with digital
    > cameras. He told me that putting the camera in, and pulling it out of the
    > bag, can create an electrical charge that has the potential to erase the
    > data from memory sticks etc.

    Static electric discharges would also damage film.
    Marvin, Oct 8, 2006
  12. Creative

    Ben Brugman Guest

    > Seriously, I'd be more worried about being hit by a meteorite.

    Then you should be worried.
    On average 3000 to 4000 people are killed each year by a meteorite. *)

    B e n

    *)
    This average is based on a meteorite big enough to kill half the earth's
    population crashing every milion years.
    Ben Brugman, Oct 8, 2006
  13. Creative

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Creative wrote:
    > My friendly camera dealer told me that I should really get a new camera bag
    > as my present (oldish) Point Professional camera bag does not have the
    > anti-static properties of modern bags that are designed for use with digital
    > cameras. He told me that putting the camera in, and pulling it out of the
    > bag, can create an electrical charge that has the potential to erase the
    > data from memory sticks etc.
    >
    > Now he might be just wanting to promote sales of new Lowepro camera bags,
    > but he said he had actually seen cases of erased memory sticks that had
    > probably been caused by the use of old camera bags.
    >
    > Can anyone tell me please, whether it's possible for a camera's memory stick
    > to be erased by camera bags that were manufactured prior to the digital
    > camera era? Although I think he is having me on, if it is possible, can
    > anything be done to minimize such a risk with an old bag?
    >
    > Thanks for your help.

    Not something I have ever heard of. If one worries about this
    potential, just keep the cards wrapped up, or store them in plastic
    containers.
    He was trying to sell a new bag.
    Ron Hunter, Oct 8, 2006
  14. Creative

    Creative Guest

    "Randy Berbaum" <> wrote in message
    > Creative <> wrote:
    >
    > : Can anyone tell me please, whether it's possible for a camera's memory
    > : stick to be erased by camera bags that were manufactured prior to the
    > : digital camera era? Although I think he is having me on, if it is
    > : possible, can anything be done to minimize such a risk with an old bag?
    >
    > : Thanks for your help.
    >
    > You now know who's advice to not trust. This is one person who will always
    > put increasing profit over being conciencious about their customer.
    >
    > If memory cards were that poorly designed that this low level of static
    > would cause damage, every card you have would blow up every time a thunder
    > storm passed overhead. Yes there is a small amount of static that can be
    > built up with the friction of inserting the camera and replacing it. But
    > you can actually generate much more static by pulling a strip of tape from
    > a roll of cellophane tape. And don't forget that if this is that much of a
    > problem you must avoid wearing any clothing that could rub against itself
    > or your skin and build a charge. Also never walk over carpeting. :)
    >
    > If you are really that nervous, about a static charge in your camera bag,
    > there are several brands of anti static sprays for clothing or fabrics. Or
    > just keep an anti static fabric softener sheet in the bag. Also since
    > staic is much more prevalent in a dry humidity situation, just keep a
    > moist spongue in your bag to keep the interior air moist. :)
    >
    > The most vulnerable time for a stray electric charge to damage a memory
    > card is when it is seperate from the camera and being handled. If the
    > handler has a charge on their person, and touch one or more of the contact
    > points, and other contacts contact a grounding surface it might be
    > possible to jolt the card, but you would really have to try to do this
    > kind of damage.

    Thanks very much Randy and for all the other replies given to this question.
    I have certainly experienced the situation where I have walked across a
    carpeted room and then touched a metal filing cabinet and received a
    noticeable electric shock. But as I don't know of any reports of memory
    sticks being erased by static charges from any sources, I guess there really
    isn't any need to get worried over a possibility that is so remote! I guess
    that cameras and memory sticks must be fairly robustly designed so that they
    can withstand low level static charges without damage? Even if a card was
    erased as a result of static electricity, I guess recovery experts could
    reinstate the images. Nevertheless, I suppose it does no harm to be aware of
    such possibilities, even if they are as remote as being hit by a stray
    comet!
    Creative, Oct 8, 2006
  15. Creative

    Mark² Guest

    Creative wrote:
    > My friendly camera dealer told me that I should really get a new
    > camera bag as my present (oldish) Point Professional camera bag does
    > not have the anti-static properties of modern bags that are designed
    > for use with digital cameras. He told me that putting the camera in,
    > and pulling it out of the bag, can create an electrical charge that
    > has the potential to erase the data from memory sticks etc.
    >
    > Now he might be just wanting to promote sales of new Lowepro camera
    > bags, but he said he had actually seen cases of erased memory sticks
    > that had probably been caused by the use of old camera bags.
    >
    > Can anyone tell me please, whether it's possible for a camera's
    > memory stick to be erased by camera bags that were manufactured prior
    > to the digital camera era? Although I think he is having me on, if it
    > is possible, can anything be done to minimize such a risk with an old
    > bag?
    > Thanks for your help.

    Never do business with that man again.
    He is either entirely ignorant, or entirely dishonest.

    Either of the above are sufficient cause to avoid him.

    www.pbase.com/markuson
    Mark², Oct 8, 2006
  16. Creative

    Mark² Guest

    Ben Brugman wrote:
    >> Seriously, I'd be more worried about being hit by a meteorite.

    > Then you should be worried.
    > On average 3000 to 4000 people are killed each year by a meteorite. *)
    >

    > B e n
    >
    > *)
    > This average is based on a meteorite big enough to kill half the
    > earth's population crashing every milion years.

    Aren't statistics great??
    :)
    Lawyers love 'em.

    www.pbase.com/markuson
    Mark², Oct 8, 2006
  17. Protoncek (ex.SleeperMan) wrote:

    > this one is similar like that credit cards can be erased by having
    > them in a wallet made of ....certain electric fish skin.... (can't
    > remember name...) it was on Discovery channel (mythbusters) and it
    > was totally busted.

    I really like Mythbusters, but they have so many holes in the way they test
    things that sometimes they do a disservice to a particular myth.

    Rita
    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=, Oct 8, 2006
  18. Creative

    ASAAR Guest

    On Mon, 9 Oct 2006 08:53:28 +1300, Creative wrote:

    > I guess there really isn't any need to get worried over a possibility
    > that is so remote! I guess that cameras and memory sticks must be
    > fairly robustly designed so that they can withstand low level static
    > charges without damage?

    They really are pretty robust, and most silicon devices contain
    circuits that protect against the buildup of static charges. But
    even if that wasn't the case, they'd be protected while inserted in
    the camera or while stored in a protective case or wallet. There
    *might* be some risk if loose memory cards were placed into a bag
    and allowed to be randomly tossed around. In this case, while the
    risk of damage would increase, I think that most of it would be due
    to physical damage, not due to static electricity.
    ASAAR, Oct 8, 2006
  19. Creative

    Sander Guest

    Creative wrote:

    > Even if a card was
    > erased as a result of static electricity, I guess recovery experts could
    > reinstate the images.

    I don't think so.

    In the very very very VERY unlikely event you would lose images on flash
    memory because of static electricity the memory will not be erased but
    the flash chips themselves will be permanently damaged.

    Sander
    Sander, Oct 8, 2006
  20. Creative

    Frank ess Guest

    Mark² wrote:
    > Creative wrote:
    >> My friendly camera dealer told me that I should really get a new
    >> camera bag as my present (oldish) Point Professional camera bag
    >> does
    >> not have the anti-static properties of modern bags that are
    >> designed
    >> for use with digital cameras. He told me that putting the camera
    >> in,
    >> and pulling it out of the bag, can create an electrical charge that
    >> has the potential to erase the data from memory sticks etc.
    >>
    >> Now he might be just wanting to promote sales of new Lowepro camera
    >> bags, but he said he had actually seen cases of erased memory
    >> sticks
    >> that had probably been caused by the use of old camera bags.
    >>
    >> Can anyone tell me please, whether it's possible for a camera's
    >> memory stick to be erased by camera bags that were manufactured
    >> prior
    >> to the digital camera era? Although I think he is having me on, if
    >> it
    >> is possible, can anything be done to minimize such a risk with an
    >> old
    >> bag?
    >> Thanks for your help.

    > Never do business with that man again.
    > He is either entirely ignorant, or entirely dishonest.
    >
    > Either of the above are sufficient cause to avoid him.

    In my erstwhile cohort we called this kind of guy a "LSOS"; lying sack
    of stuff.

    --
    Frank ess
    Frank ess, Oct 9, 2006