    Can a cable connection "surge"???? I asked my cable company and they said
    no.

    Could it just be a coincidence that all three items fried at the same time?
    onquest, Mar 2, 2004

  2. onquest

    slick Guest

    That is very unlikely. My guess is that you got an old fassion power surge.
    If they are all on the same circuit (electricity) and they didn't have a
    surge protector, they could have been fried. Also, your cable company is
    wrong, cable can easily surge under unusual circumstances.

    slick, Mar 2, 2004

  3. onquest

    Anna N. Amis Guest

    slick <> wrote in message
    > That is very unlikely. My guess is that you got an old fassion power

    surge.
    > If they are all on the same circuit (electricity) and they didn't have a
    > surge protector, they could have been fried. Also, your cable company is
    > wrong, cable can easily surge under unusual circumstances.
    > "onquest" <> wrote in message
    > > My computer, monitor, and television all went on the blink at exactly

    the
    > > same time. Nothing else in my house was affected.
    > >
    > > Can a cable connection "surge"???? I asked my cable company and they

    said
    > > no.
    > >
    > > Could it just be a coincidence that all three items fried at the same

    > time?

    My cable guy said that there is a surge protector built into the little box
    on the back of the house where the cable is distributed to the house.
    Anna N. Amis, Mar 2, 2004
  4. onquest

    slick Guest

    Depends where you live but that is very possible. My cable input surged
    once though so not all companies are up to date with that stuff.

    slick, Mar 2, 2004
  5. onquest

    Anna N. Amis Guest

    slick <> wrote in message
    > Depends where you live but that is very possible. My cable input surged
    > once though so not all companies are up to date with that stuff.

    > "Anna N. Amis" <> wrote in message
    > > >

    > > My cable guy said that there is a surge protector built into the little

    > box
    > > on the back of the house where the cable is distributed to the house.

    We had thunder storms here today, and I disconnected the cable from the
    modem anyway. I also have all of my computers on surge protectors, and I
    unplug them too. Unnessassery probably, but you never know till its too
    late.
    Anna N. Amis, Mar 5, 2004
  6. onquest

    Trent© Guest

    On Tue, 02 Mar 2004 03:09:30 GMT, "onquest" <> wrote:

    >My computer, monitor, and television all went on the blink at exactly the
    >same time. Nothing else in my house was affected.

    Your Internet connections is provided by your TV cable company. When
    the cable company is down, ALL services provided by the company are
    down.

    That's why they all went 'on the blink' at the same time.

    Have a nice week...

    Trent

    Trent©, Mar 6, 2004
  7. onquest

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    Trent© <> wrote in

    > That's why they all went 'on the blink' at the same time.

    How does the cable going out make the monitor have issues? Or the computer
    itself?

    --
    website: http://www.demonlag.com
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk
    DeMoN LaG, Mar 6, 2004
  8. onquest

    Trent© Guest

    On 06 Mar 2004 05:29:59 GMT, DeMoN LaG <n@a> wrote:

    >Trent© <> wrote in
    >
    >> That's why they all went 'on the blink' at the same time.

    >How does the cable going out make the monitor have issues? Or the computer
    >itself?

    I'm suggesting that he didn't mean exactly what he wrote.

    No Internet...no mouse activity...monitor shuts down.

    Maybe I'm wrong.

    Have a nice week...

    Trent

    Trent©, Mar 7, 2004
  9. onquest

    w_tom Guest

    Cable, properly installed, does have effective protection
    - not to be confused with something different called a
    protector. But some basics first need be defined.

    Many assume a destructive transients enters on wire, damages
    electronics, then stops. Wrong. First the destructive
    transient established and conducts current from cloud to
    earth. After a complete circuit is established (current flows
    through everything), does something in the circuit get
    damaged. Destructive transients damage electronics because
    those transistors made a best path from cloud to earth.

    Assume cable is properly earthed - the protection. A
    destructive transients seeking earth ground on cable will be
    earthed before transient can enter the building. No reason to
    take a long route through household appliances since earthing
    is accomplishes before cable can enter building.

    But the most common wires struck are AC electric - highest
    on pole. AC electric makes a direct connection to appliances
    since no 'whole house' protector is usually installed. Now a
    perfect path to earth ground. Incoming on AC electric,
    through computer, monitor, and television (powered on or off -
    makes no difference), then outgoing to earth ground via cable.

    Every incoming utility must be earthed before wire enters
    building. That even includes satellite dish wire. And not
    just any earth ground. Earthing must be to a single point
    earth ground.

    Cable and satellite dish can be earthed directly - no
    protector required. But telephone and AC electric require a
    protector to make a connection to protection - earth ground.
    'Whole house' protectors so inexpensive and so effective that
    telco installs one at each customer interface - for free.
    That leaves AC electric - the most common source of
    destructive transients. Examples of effective 'whole house'
    protectors posted previously in "telephone wire/lightning
    strikes" on 30 Sept 2003 in misc.rural or at
    http://tinyurl.com/q6g6

    Further details available in "RJ-11 line protection?" on 31
    Dec 2003 in pdx.computing, or http://tinyurl.com/2hl53
    and "Opinions on Surge Protectors?" on 7 Jul 2003 in the
    newsgroup alt.certification.a-plus or
    http://tinyurl.com/l3m9

    How were three appliances damaged simultaneously? First
    identify the incoming and outgoing electric circuit path. A
    most typical path is incoming on AC electric and outgoing to
    earth via cable. Problem created because cable was properly
    earthed but human failed to earth incoming AC electric.

    One further note: should you think a plug-in protector is
    effective, then read their information. They forget to
    mention they don't protect from this type of transient. How
    do you know? No mention of earth ground AND no dedicated
    connection less than 10 foot to earth ground. Why discuss
    earthing when sales are so prosperous due to so many myth
    purveyors - who also never understood the importance of
    earthing. No earth ground means no effective protection. But
    then cable guy was saying the same thing.

    w_tom, Mar 7, 2004
  10. onquest

    Professor Guest

    That is the sort of thing that can happen if there is lightning striking the
    line but I suppose some sort of power surge can also do it.

    Professor, Mar 7, 2004