can bad M/B or CPU corrupt HDDs?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by WCH, Oct 28, 2003.

  1. WCH

    WCH Guest

    I've tried for a week to figure out why my installations of Windows 2000
    keep hanging. I've done EVERYTHING that's been recommended (W2k fully
    updated, virus scans, scans with AdAware and Spybot, new W2k installation,
    new HDD, RAM scans, on and on), but haven't solved my problem. I think I'm
    down to either a bad M/B or a bad CPU (P3 1ghz).

    My latest question is: could a bad M/B or bad CPU somehow corrupt my hard
    drives? When I brought the THREE different hard drives that I installed W2k
    on while using my main computer (the one with the problem) and used each to
    boot up a different computer, ALL of them generated a blue screen error just
    after the Windows startup screen came up. Something about a bad drive, use
    "chkdsk /f" to check for errors, etc. This happened on ALL THREE drives!
    But when I put them into this other system as slaves, they run fine, don't
    show any errors, etc.

    Could a bad M/B or CPU have done something to the MBR or the file system of
    the hard drives they interface with or something like that? It just seems
    almost impossible that a brand new W2k installation on a brand new HDD would
    generate EXACTLY the same types of errors as the existing drives. What can
    I do to diagnose these two essential components?

    Thanks very much for the feedback I've received so far. I've tried
    EVERYTHING that's been suggested and, while I haven't solved my problem yet,
    I'm sure learning.
    WC
    WCH, Oct 28, 2003

  2. WCH wrote:

    > I've tried for a week to figure out why my installations of Windows
    > 2000 keep hanging. I've done EVERYTHING that's been recommended (W2k
    > fully updated, virus scans, scans with AdAware and Spybot, new W2k
    > installation, new HDD, RAM scans, on and on), but haven't solved my
    > problem. I think I'm down to either a bad M/B or a bad CPU (P3 1ghz).
    >
    > My latest question is: could a bad M/B or bad CPU somehow corrupt my
    > hard drives? When I brought the THREE different hard drives that I
    > installed W2k on while using my main computer (the one with the
    > problem) and used each to boot up a different computer, ALL of them
    > generated a blue screen error just after the Windows startup screen
    > came up. Something about a bad drive, use "chkdsk /f" to check for
    > errors, etc. This happened on ALL THREE drives! But when I put them
    > into this other system as slaves, they run fine, don't show any
    > errors, etc.
    >
    > Could a bad M/B or CPU have done something to the MBR or the file
    > system of the hard drives they interface with or something like that?
    > It just seems almost impossible that a brand new W2k installation on
    > a brand new HDD would generate EXACTLY the same types of errors as
    > the existing drives. What can I do to diagnose these two essential
    > components?
    >
    > Thanks very much for the feedback I've received so far. I've tried
    > EVERYTHING that's been suggested and, while I haven't solved my
    > problem yet, I'm sure learning.
    > WC

    Here is what I would do:

    Remove the case of the computer, and se it on a towel.
    Try lowering your memory settings
    Try to install with one hard drive and one cd drive.
    Disable any on boards componets and remove every pci card.
    Leave the system with video only, just the minimal to boot.
    Leave 1 cable to the hd and jump it to cable select, do the samething
    with another cable to your cdrom drive.
    Burn a cd with sp4, and all your drivers
    Get a new copy of win2k from someone else.
    Install it, install the drivers and sp4.
    Use the comptuer for 1 day, insert the sound card, test it, insert your
    nic card, test it, and so on.

    --
    Diogo Miranda
    Sr. Network Administrator Contractor
    Diogo Miranda, Oct 28, 2003

  3. WCH

    Buffalo Guest

    "WCH" <> wrote in message news:Zgwnb.38776$ao4.82658@attbi_s51...
    > I've tried for a week to figure out why my installations of Windows 2000
    > keep hanging. I've done EVERYTHING that's been recommended (W2k fully
    > updated, virus scans, scans with AdAware and Spybot, new W2k installation,
    > new HDD, RAM scans, on and on), but haven't solved my problem. I think

    I'm
    > down to either a bad M/B or a bad CPU (P3 1ghz).
    >
    > My latest question is: could a bad M/B or bad CPU somehow corrupt my hard
    > drives? When I brought the THREE different hard drives that I installed

    W2k
    > on while using my main computer (the one with the problem) and used each

    > boot up a different computer, ALL of them generated a blue screen error

    just
    > after the Windows startup screen came up. Something about a bad drive,

    use
    > "chkdsk /f" to check for errors, etc. This happened on ALL THREE drives!
    > But when I put them into this other system as slaves, they run fine, don't
    > show any errors, etc.
    >
    > Could a bad M/B or CPU have done something to the MBR or the file system

    of
    > the hard drives they interface with or something like that? It just seems
    > almost impossible that a brand new W2k installation on a brand new HDD

    would
    > generate EXACTLY the same types of errors as the existing drives. What

    can
    > I do to diagnose these two essential components?
    >
    > Thanks very much for the feedback I've received so far. I've tried
    > EVERYTHING that's been suggested and, while I haven't solved my problem

    yet,
    > I'm sure learning.
    > WC

    If no one comes up with solution, I would suspect a weak or failing
    PowerSupplyUnit.
    Newegg.com has some good prices on some.(Allied or PowerMax400watt for
    around $35 which includes shipping and handling).
    Or perhaps you can use try one from another machine.
    Buffalo, Oct 28, 2003
  4. WCH

    Ghostrider Guest

    WCH wrote:

    > I've tried for a week to figure out why my installations of Windows 2000
    > keep hanging. I've done EVERYTHING that's been recommended (W2k fully
    > updated, virus scans, scans with AdAware and Spybot, new W2k installation,
    > new HDD, RAM scans, on and on), but haven't solved my problem. I think I'm
    > down to either a bad M/B or a bad CPU (P3 1ghz).
    >
    > My latest question is: could a bad M/B or bad CPU somehow corrupt my hard
    > drives? When I brought the THREE different hard drives that I installed W2k
    > on while using my main computer (the one with the problem) and used each to
    > boot up a different computer, ALL of them generated a blue screen error just
    > after the Windows startup screen came up. Something about a bad drive, use
    > "chkdsk /f" to check for errors, etc. This happened on ALL THREE drives!
    > But when I put them into this other system as slaves, they run fine, don't
    > show any errors, etc.
    >
    > Could a bad M/B or CPU have done something to the MBR or the file system of
    > the hard drives they interface with or something like that? It just seems
    > almost impossible that a brand new W2k installation on a brand new HDD would
    > generate EXACTLY the same types of errors as the existing drives. What can
    > I do to diagnose these two essential components?
    >
    > Thanks very much for the feedback I've received so far. I've tried
    > EVERYTHING that's been suggested and, while I haven't solved my problem yet,
    > I'm sure learning.
    > WC

    Just to be perfectly clear, one computer was used to install Windows 2000
    on to 3 different hard drives. The 3 hard drives were tested on a different
    computer. OK. Just how similar or dissimilar is the computer that was used
    to install Windows 2000 and the test computer to run it? Any significant HW
    incompatibilities between the installation system and the other system would
    certainly result in blue screens and the causes could range from the bios to
    wrong drivers. IOW, there would have been no problems if the computers
    had been perfect twins.
    Ghostrider, Oct 28, 2003
  5. WCH

    Buffalo Guest

    > If no one comes up with solution, I would suspect a weak or failing
    > PowerSupplyUnit.
    > Newegg.com has some good prices on some.(Allied or PowerMax400watt for
    > around $35 which includes shipping and handling).
    > Or perhaps you can use try one from another machine.

    Please disregard the above.
    I didn't understand what was going on. Ghostrider's post caught it.
    Now it seems like you tried to install Windows2000 on three different HDD's
    using the same computer and then put those HDDs into a 'different' computer
    as the Primary Master. Is that correct?
    Unless the motherboards are the same, you will sometimes have the problems
    you are experiencing.
    There is usually a way around this.
    In Win98, you go into Safe Mode and delete basically everything in the
    Device Manager and reboot and then Windows98 will reinstall most everything.
    You, however should have a copy of all the extra drivers that you may need.
    (Sound,Video,etc)
    I don't know how you do it in Win2000 though.
    Buffalo, Oct 29, 2003
  6. WCH

    WCH Guest

    My main concern in this whole thing is why my computer keeps crashing. I'm
    down to just a hard drive, video card, CD-ROM and NIC. The hard drive,
    video card and NIC are all different than the ones I started with. I've
    swapped out the RAM for different sticks, and the computer keeps crashing.
    I'm going to try swapping out the power supply next. I don't have another
    CPU or motherboard, but I'd like to find good testing software to see if
    they are good, if such software exists (and if I can get the machine to stay
    up long enough to run it).
    Thanks for all suggestions.
    WC

    WCH, Oct 29, 2003