    Hi! I like this group as it has been been very helpful. However, like
    most of the groups every once in awhile there is a post that is out of
    context. How do I set it so those are not visible or is this possible?

    iamcanadian, Dec 20, 2006

  2. iamcanadian

    Ken Lucke Guest

    In article <>,
    iamcanadian <> wrote:

    > Hi! I like this group as it has been been very helpful. However, like
    > most of the groups every once in awhile there is a post that is out of
    > context. How do I set it so those are not visible or is this possible?

    You might start by getting (and learning to use) a real newsreader
    combined with an actual news server, instead of using Google Groups.

    independence.
    -- Charles A. Beard

    Ken Lucke, Dec 21, 2006

  3. On Wed, 20 Dec 2006 15:59:55 -0800, iamcanadian wrote
    (in article <>):

    > Hi! I like this group as it has been been very helpful. However, like
    > most of the groups every once in awhile there is a post that is out of
    > context. How do I set it so those are not visible or is this possible?

    Depends on your news reader. If you are using Outlook Express right click on
    the topic and mark it as "ignore."

    Christopher Campbell, Dec 21, 2006
  4. iamcanadian

    Jim Townsend Guest

    Ken Luke wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > iamcanadian <> wrote:
    >
    >> Hi! I like this group as it has been been very helpful. However, like
    >> most of the groups every once in awhile there is a post that is out of
    >> context. How do I set it so those are not visible or is this possible?
    >>

    > You might start by getting (and learning to use) a real newsreader
    > combined with an actual news server, instead of using Google Groups.

    Actually, if we could get RID of Google groups, 90% of the spam and
    offensive posts here would disappear and there would be no need to
    filter :) (I'm NOT exaggerating when I say 90%)

    Google groups has a non-existant abuse department. Most of the
    spammers and miscreants that spew crap across usenet take full
    advantage of this.

    Jim Townsend, Dec 21, 2006
  5. iamcanadian

    iamcanadian Guest

    Thanks Jim, I just hate it because I am TRYING to start a camera club
    at a school and at every turn I seem to find a dead end as far as an a
    site for kids goes. Sheesh! What a world!!

    iamcanadian, Dec 21, 2006
  6. Re: Can anyone tell me how to filter the offensive topics listedhere?

    iamcanadian wrote:
    > Thanks Jim, I just hate it because I am TRYING to start a camera club
    > at a school and at every turn I seem to find a dead end as far as an a
    > site for kids goes. Sheesh! What a world!!

    You might be better off with one of the more heavily moderated groups on
    Yahoo. I co-moderate the 350D group and we don't get spam because all
    new members are moderated till we are sure.

    Cheers,

    Wayne

    --
    Wayne J. Cosshall

    Wayne J. Cosshall, Dec 21, 2006
  7. Hi Wayne,

    > You might be better off with one of the more heavily moderated groups on
    > Yahoo. I co-moderate the 350D group and we don't get spam because all new
    > members are moderated till we are sure.

    Can they be retrieved via nntp, i.e. with a newsreader, not a browser? Just
    signed up so we'll see:)

    --
    Arnor Baldvinsson
    San Antonio, Texas

    Arnor Baldvinsson, Dec 21, 2006
  8. iamcanadian

    simon Guest

    I'm not sure if it would give you any of what you are after for the kids...
    but take a look at www.photography-cafe.com there is a forum in there and a
    section where critique can be asked for.
    Similar at www.photochimper.com although I think that this site has a
    glamour/nude section.

    --

    www.srsteel.co.uk
    http://www.srsteel.co.uk/Panorama

    simon, Dec 21, 2006
  9. Re: Can anyone tell me how to filter the offensive topics listedhere?

    Arnor Baldvinsson wrote:
    > Hi Wayne,
    >
    >> You might be better off with one of the more heavily moderated groups on
    >> Yahoo. I co-moderate the 350D group and we don't get spam because all new
    >> members are moderated till we are sure.

    > Can they be retrieved via nntp, i.e. with a newsreader, not a browser? Just
    > signed up so we'll see:)

    I get emails, so I mainly use my normal email program and occasionally
    the web browser, usually if I am away from my normal computer.

    Cheers,

    Wayne

    --
    Wayne J. Cosshall

    Wayne J. Cosshall, Dec 21, 2006
  10. iamcanadian

    JC Dill Guest

    On Thu, 21 Dec 2006 06:24:55 GMT, "Arnor Baldvinsson"
    <> wrote:

    >Hi Wayne,
    >
    >> You might be better off with one of the more heavily moderated groups on
    >> Yahoo. I co-moderate the 350D group and we don't get spam because all new
    >> members are moderated till we are sure.

    >Can they be retrieved via nntp, i.e. with a newsreader, not a browser?

    Yahoo groups usually offer an option to receive posts via email. If
    the group's owner agrees, you can sometimes have the group mirrored on
    gmane.org which then lets you follow the group with a newsreader.
    Don't add a group (or mailing list) to gmane without the owner's
    permission - some groups really frown on this. (I'm an admin for a
    mailing list that keeps getting added to gmane without the owner's
    permission - it's very annoying that gmane keeps letting this happen
    especially after we have *explictly* told them that they don't have
    our permission to mirror the list.)

    jc

    ~ Eileen Morgan of The Mare's Nest, PA

    JC Dill, Dec 21, 2006
  11. iamcanadian

    Justin C Guest

    In article <>,
    "iamcanadian" <> wrote:

    > Hi! I like this group as it has been been very helpful. However, like
    > most of the groups every once in awhile there is a post that is out of
    > context. How do I set it so those are not visible or is this possible?

    How do I filter off topic posts like this one? The group is high-traffic
    enough as it is without these muppets posting *more* off topic crap that
    *isn't* photo related and is *unwanted* by *everyone* but the poster.

    Why don't they ask their dumb questions in groups relevant to their
    question or search for it on their access providers web-site, they could
    probably (if their obviously inept brains could come up with a
    half-sensible search string) find something like this:
    http://tinyurl.com/y3sry8

    Jeez, who wipes your behind, or do you ask in rec.golf?

    --
    Justin C, by the sea.

    Justin C, Dec 22, 2006
  12. iamcanadian

    Paul Heslop Guest

    Justin C wrote:

    > Jeez, who wipes your behind, or do you ask in rec.golf?

    You must be such a comfort to people with problems.

    Stop and Look
    http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/

    Paul Heslop, Dec 22, 2006
  13. iamcanadian

    Mike Fields Guest

    "Paul Heslop" <> wrote in message
    > Justin C wrote:
    >
    >> Jeez, who wipes your behind, or do you ask in rec.golf?
    >>

    > You must be such a comfort to people with problems.
    >

    > --
    > Paul (Need a lift she said much obliged)
    > Stop and Look
    > http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/

    Same thought I had. Wondered if he was born such an idiot
    or if this took time to perfect.

    mikey

    Mike Fields, Dec 22, 2006
  14. iamcanadian

    Mike Russell Guest

    "Justin C" <> wrote in message
    > Jeez, who wipes your behind, or do you ask in rec.golf?

    LOL. Now everyone will weigh in on your rant, and we'll have another round
    on the house.
    --
    Mike Russell
    www.curvemeister.com/forum/

    Mike Russell, Dec 22, 2006
  15. iamcanadian

    Bill Funk Guest

    On Fri, 22 Dec 2006 18:59:36 +0000, Justin C
    <> wrote:

    >Jeez, who wipes your behind, or do you ask in rec.golf?

    I don't play golf, but the question makes me wonder: does this have
    anything to do with ball washers?
    --
    Bill Funk
    replace "g" with "a"