Can anyone solve these problems??

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Kevin Wainhouse, Oct 22, 2004.

  1. I have two problems with my system (ASUS P4B535= Celeron 1.7GB. O\S Windows
    98 SE) which are 1. I have two HD drives. Corectly set up as primary master
    & primary slave. Sometimes(say 1 in 7 \ 10 times) the computer ignores the
    second HDD on start up & boots up with just the main drive. I notice this as
    the drive light on the PC keeps on going altho there is no actual activity.
    Any ideas?

    Secondly and the most annoying.
    On the secondary ide cable, I have installed master CD R\W drive and a new
    slave DVD Rom drive. The CD Rom drive will play audio CDs and reads CD Roms-
    also copies and writes quite satisfactorily. However the DVD drive will ONLY
    play DVDs - quite satisfactorily(good audio & picture quality) but if I
    install a audio CD, the
    computer locks up and I have to undertake a hard boot to open the disc
    drawer. The DVD drive reads CD Roms & CD RW discs ok. Both drives are new -
    the DVD Rom drive is an ASUS E616P2 & specifically says that it plays all
    types of audio CDs.

    I have taken out the DVD drive & replaced it with a spare CD Rom drive and
    this likewise does not play audio CDs- it also locks up the system.

    I have replaced the ribbon EIDE cable- but this has no effect.
    I have also replaced the sound card with a spare sound card - no effect.

    Double, treble checked all connections & they are OK
    This is beginning to annoy me........intensely. Any suggestions as to why
    this DVD don't play audio CD's most gratefully recd.

    Sorry post so long but it's better to give all deatils

    Thanks

    Kevin

    Kevin Wainhouse, Oct 22, 2004

  2. Kevin Wainhouse

    Thor Guest

    "Kevin Wainhouse" <> wrote in message
    >I have two problems with my system (ASUS P4B535= Celeron 1.7GB. O\S
    >Windows
    > 98 SE) which are 1. I have two HD drives. Corectly set up as primary
    > master
    > & primary slave. Sometimes(say 1 in 7 \ 10 times) the computer ignores the
    > second HDD on start up & boots up with just the main drive. I notice this
    > as
    > the drive light on the PC keeps on going altho there is no actual
    > activity.
    > Any ideas?

    faulty cable (check both power and data) or bad drive, perhaps.

    Thor, Oct 23, 2004

  3. Kevin Wainhouse

    Thor Guest

    > Secondly and the most annoying.
    > On the secondary ide cable, I have installed master CD R\W drive and a
    > new
    > slave DVD Rom drive. The CD Rom drive will play audio CDs and reads CD
    > Roms-
    > also copies and writes quite satisfactorily. However the DVD drive will
    > ONLY
    > play DVDs - quite satisfactorily(good audio & picture quality) but if I
    > install a audio CD, the
    > computer locks up and I have to undertake a hard boot to open the disc
    > drawer. The DVD drive reads CD Roms & CD RW discs ok. Both drives are
    > new -
    > the DVD Rom drive is an ASUS E616P2 & specifically says that it plays all
    > types of audio CDs.
    >
    > I have taken out the DVD drive & replaced it with a spare CD Rom drive and
    > this likewise does not play audio CDs- it also locks up the system.
    >
    > I have replaced the ribbon EIDE cable- but this has no effect.
    > I have also replaced the sound card with a spare sound card - no effect.
    >
    > Double, treble checked all connections & they are OK
    > This is beginning to annoy me........intensely. Any suggestions as to why
    > this DVD don't play audio CD's most gratefully recd.
    >
    > Sorry post so long but it's better to give all deatils

    have you tried holding down the shift key when inserting an audio disc, to
    prevent the autorun? I ask, because it may be something wrong with the
    default CD audio player program, and when it launches to try and play the CD
    or attempts to launch, something goes awry when trying to play from that
    drive letter. I would suggest holding down the shift key after inserting the
    disc, which prevents the CD from auto-playing, and see if you can browse the
    ..CDA track list in windows explorer . If you can, then try installing some
    other application that can play an audio CD (winamp, etc) and see if it will
    work without locking up.

    Thor, Oct 23, 2004
  4. Kevin Wainhouse

    Fred Guest

    Thor billowed:

    > have you tried holding down the shift key when inserting an audio disc,
    > to prevent the autorun?

    When exactly?

    > I ask, because it may be something wrong with the default CD audio
    > player program, and when it launches to try and play the CD or attempts
    > to launch, something goes awry when trying to play from that drive
    > letter.

    Why do you ask because it may be something wrong with the default CD audio
    player program?

    > I would suggest holding down the shift key after inserting the disc,
    > which prevents the CD from auto-playing, and see if you can browse the
    > .

    Ok, you'd suggest it, but will it work?

    > If you can, then try installing some other application that can play an
    > audio CD (winamp, etc) and see if it will work without locking up.

    What if I can't?

    Fred, Oct 23, 2004